The Journal of Just A Guy, Really

Where are you and where are you going?
JustAGuyReally

The Journal of Just A Guy, Really

Post by JustAGuyReally » Thu May 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi All,

Personality Type: ???

Savings/Pension: $52,500 ($45,000 in savings/checking account)

Student Loans: $8,050

Goals: Move abroad "permanently" . . . Teach ESL/pursue anthropological interests. I can live a comfortable lifestyle in SE Asia for around $10,000 a year.

Wanted to remove details. Upon reading through again, felt they were too personal. Still look forward to posting here, though! Thanks.
Last edited by JustAGuyReally on Fri May 12, 2017 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Frugalchicos

Re: The Journal of Just A Guy, Really

Post by Frugalchicos » Thu May 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi there,

Good luck on your journey.

Hey, have you ever thought about teaching ESL in Europe? cost of living is fairly lower compared to the US and you would probably have free health insurance for your medication. I know it is not SE Asia, but...it is an option.

Also, is there any particular ESL course you were thinking in doing? I am also thinking in doing it myself and work as an English teacher back in Europe once I become FI/ERE (I am European and English is my second/third language). I find rewarding teaching and helping people.

Cheers,

Frugal Chico

JustAGuyReally

Post by JustAGuyReally » Thu May 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Thanks for reading, Frugal Chico, and thanks, too, for wishing me luck!

I don't have much interest in living in Europe, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future.

I did a three week long TEFL course in southern Thailand a couple of years ago. It was fairly rigorous, but we got plenty of classroom practice/observation time, which is what I wanted. I'd suggest doing something like that if you want to understand the basics of classroom management, lesson planning, etc.

Edited to remove personal details
Last edited by JustAGuyReally on Fri May 12, 2017 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos » Thu May 11, 2017 3:14 pm

This sentence is pretty much the key: "I'll have enough saved to "do whatever I want" for work"

I will do a cheap course online at the end of this year and start teaching to some friends and relatives over Skype. And I will probably do a course with classroom practice once I am ready to move.

Good Luck!!

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann » Thu May 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Frugalchicos wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 2:36 pm
cost of living is fairly lower compared to the US and you would probably have free health insurance for your medication. I know it is not SE Asia, but...it is an option.
In which country and in what kind of livestyle arrangements? I am asking rather in terms of curiosity :P

Car/van living is not an option in most developed countries (Western Europe)

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu May 11, 2017 4:26 pm

To quote Bon Jovi (another man who went far despite a bad organ) you're half way there.

In all seriousness, I admire your hope and perseverance.

But I have to ask, does this whole Asian obsession have anything to do with chicks? I tend to project but I had to ask.

JustAGuyReally

Post by JustAGuyReally » Thu May 11, 2017 4:45 pm

Frugalchicos wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 3:14 pm
This sentence is pretty much the key: "I'll have enough saved to "do whatever I want" for work"

I will do a cheap course online at the end of this year and start teaching to some friends and relatives over Skype. And I will probably do a course with classroom practice once I am ready to move.

Good Luck!!
Appreciate the encouragement, F.C.!
To quote Bon Jovi (another man who went far despite a bad organ) you're half way there.

In all seriousness, I admire your hope and perseverance.

But I have to ask, does this whole Asian obsession have anything to do with chicks? I tend to project but I had to ask.
Thanks for the kind words, Jason. Much appreciated.

I'm surprised how "easy" it has been once I learned about this mindset and committed to saving. I'm a fairly frugal person by nature, and, when I was broke 15 months ago, I vowed to myself that I'd never be broke again. Too stressful for me.

Edited to remove personal details
Last edited by JustAGuyReally on Fri May 12, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu May 11, 2017 5:00 pm

I'm more interested in sociology than anthropology although I have read The Nuer by Evans-Pritchard which I'm guessing you have memorized. I drive around a lot and have been conducting my own studies. I'm actually thinking of writing a paper: "Paradox Found: Field Studies Demonstrating Higher Quality Asses in Lower Income Neighborhoods." Harvard Press type of thing.

JustAGuyReally

Post by JustAGuyReally » Thu May 11, 2017 5:49 pm

^Ha ha! I bet you cover a lot of ground as a real estate agent. Is selling houses all about the women? :twisted: :D

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos » Thu May 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Stahlmann wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 3:21 pm
Frugalchicos wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 2:36 pm
cost of living is fairly lower compared to the US and you would probably have free health insurance for your medication. I know it is not SE Asia, but...it is an option.
In which country and in what kind of livestyle arrangements? I am asking rather in terms of curiosity :P

Car/van living is not an option in most developed countries (Western Europe)
Hi Stahlman,

I was mostly referring to South Europe (Portugal, Spain, Some places in France, Italy, Greece...) not the cities, but in towns or smaller/secondary cities.

I am not sure about the van situation, but France has amazing campings were you could spend the night.