Lente on FiRe

Where are you and where are you going?
lente

Lente on FiRe

Post by lente »

This journal is to chronicle my progress to a more independent future.

FIndex
The original post is to become an index by which to easily navigate the journal. So assuming I keep up with it, and let's assume I do, there will be a neatly ordered list of links and core results per month here. I do this to organize the journal. So people can go back and forth between the index and the posts if they choose to read only the journal updates, or they can read it as usual chronologically with comments by other forum members. To me it feels like the blog format is better suited to journal keeping than a forum format. Keeping an index is my attempt to bring the level of organization I prefer within this forum format.

Core stats
I'm still determining what monthly statistics to include in the index as a brief summary of FI achievements.
  • Savingsrate
  • % progress towards goals (t.b.d)
  • something else.
Feedback is appreciated

lente

Re: Lente on FiRe

Post by lente »

In the beginning
It has been about six weeks since I read Jacob's book. Since then I've paid more attention to what I spend money and energy on. My first step was to get insight in my current spending habits. I decided to start at January last year and track my behavior from there on. Due to a major health related event in January this year the time period wouldn't be very realistic in terms of averages.

The figures below are based on the whole time period of January 2016 till now.

Savingsrate
It's interesting to see the savingsrates dip a lot in the second half of last year. The logic being, why do I save all this money? I worked for it, let's enjoy it. It didn't bring much lasting happiness.

FU years (Net worth/expenses)
The most simplistic possible formula to give an idea in what direction i'm heading with my savings. I'm interested to figure out how to calculate how much I could withdraw based on X years to sustain me. Next time this graph will be more complex.

Spend
Not all that many spending categories. Historical data is vague. There was a big cash withdrawal at the end of last year, and I can't recall what it was for. Yikes.

Income
It really, really surprised me how much additional income I made as part of the total. This is essentially just money that falls into my lap without pursuing it. Now that I have vague Fi goals, this is something I want to pursue more passionately. Though I might have missed out on the golden years in my niche and it not being longtime sustainable.

Personal growth
Learning
I was an avid reader, before I started studying. Slowly taking it up again based on suggestions in this topic

How NOT to DIE by Michael Greger and Gene stone
A book on the topic of the health advantages of whole-food plant-based diets. Very interesting read. I already knew a few things about nutrition and was doing pretty good compared to the average, but I learned I still have a lot of room for improvement. Taking small incremental steps, e.g. adding flaxseeds to my oats now for example. Recommended read. Thing that stuck with mostly is that the life expectancy of the current generation could be lower than that of our parents... It would be terrible if one were to spend a lot of energy to become Fi and RE only to cut the trip short.

Disciplined minds by Jeff Schmidt
Bought it. Started to read it. Depressing... decided to read something else instead. Not the right time or right moment for me. Most interesting to me was the realization that if you spend as much time on something as you do with your work. You should try and build something great. Motivates me to improve at my job.

Rich Dad's Cashflow Quadrant by Robert T. Kiyosaki
Thick on words, thin on insights. Most interesting thing to me is how he hedged his investments to manage risk. Based on my working experience that gave me an idea for a potential extra income stream. It's an interesting enough book to read, but very much oriented at cross-selling his other products.

So good they can't ignore you by Cal Newport
Currently reading. Interesting read. Connects to many things I already thought/knew. Again motivation to improve my professional skills and my past time exploits.

suggestions are welcome. What books were transformational for you?

DIY-projects
I've decided that a standing desk would be beneficial to my health. So I plan on taking measurements and planning a DIY build. For when my health situation permits making it. I've seen some designs based on pipes and angle pieces that I might be able to put together even with my physical challenges, so I'll look into that.

Financial growth
Investing
All my money is in savings. There are many questions I first need to find the answers to before I am comfortable with investing.
  • Ratio of index to bonds (and why)
  • Manage the risk of entering a "boar" market
  • What index funds to pick
  • Figuring out the Dutch tax situation
  • etc.
Literature suggestions would be very welcome!

Additional income
I've been walking around with a few money making ideas for months based on my hobbies. I pitched my ideas to a few people who are professionals in the same field (professional as in getting paid to do it, not fulltime occupation) and they see potential. Done some exploratory market research, and am moving forward with it. At worst it's an interesting learning experience that I can leverage as entrepreneurial experience. Setting it up is time and energy, no spend necessary.

Health
A little backstory, my right radialus nerve was overstretched during an operation. Feeling works fine, control however is non-existent. What does it mean? My wrist is limp and I can't extend my fingers beyond that which is controlled by other nerves.

It has been like that since mid January this year. Doctors are still hopeful it'll come back without intervention. Nerves regrow, and it wasn't severed plus the feeling works. I got a new brace that allows me to use my right hand to operate the computer mouse. So my quality of living has gone up.

Because of this injury I can't work full-time. Fortunately that's what insurances are for and I can still perform my work. The other benefit is that I had a lot of time to think about things WITH the knowledge of my first three years of working. Without the abrupt abundance of time, the physical constraints, the discovery that you can't buy happiness and the knowledge of a working life, I don't think my mind would've been open for ERE or other things that I've read since.

Imagine typing all of this with your left hand exclusively. That's what I did.
Last edited by lente on Wed May 03, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thedollar

Post by thedollar »

Hello Lente!

Seems like you're doing great.

You could play around with this calculator to determine your asset allocation. As standard it's set to 60% US stocks and 40% bonds.
https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/annual-returns/

This one is nice too if you want to see time to FI:
https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/f ... ependence/

Can I ask how you make your graphs? :D

lente

Post by lente »

thedollar wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 8:39 am
Can I ask how you make your graphs? :D
I made them simply with excel. Office 2007 and more recent have a lot of graphical customization options. I work with spreadsheets and databases a lot, so over time I picked up a few things. A pretty graph won't make the numbers any better, but sure makes it easier to look at. I could put together an excel with dummy values and this graph layout. That doesn't help you to customize your graphs to your liking, but might give some insight how i did mine. Let me know if your interested in a dummy file to poke around in.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Analytical Engine

Post by Analytical Engine »

Interesting reading list! Disciplined minds looks particularly good (albeit depressing), and I've already requested it from the library.

I've read So Good They Can't Ignore You . I thought it was alright, if a little overrated. I think Cal simplifies the problem of finding enjoyable work, but the book is decent enough.

ETA: I have a couple of books I found transformative.
Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman. Although Postman writes about television, I found this book highly relevant to our modern, social media saturated world. Postman argues the format of television has basically dumbed down the discourse.

Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television by Jerry Mander. While the second half of the book kind of wanders off into the weeds, the first half is an enlightening look into how advertising/television makes the real world seem less "real."

lente

Post by lente »

Analytical Engine wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:55 am
I've read So Good They Can't Ignore You . I thought it was alright, if a little overrated. I think Cal simplifies the problem of finding enjoyable work, but the book is decent enough.
I'm pretty happy with my work. For me it connects, but I am one of those people who stumbled into their job. As Cal would put it, I build capital while still studying. When I started applying for jobs I send my resume out to 5 companies, was invited for 4 interviews and got one job offer. I'm not crazy smart, but I am curious and like my boss would put it "a strange one". And that's exactly the quality he wants me for. I work at a rapidly growing e-retailer. Changed position three times in three years, horizontal movements. I have no manager. Just peers. So I have a lot of autonomy and responsibility. I'm also one of the most senior employees based on the years of employment.

I don't have the sort of life changing/inspiring job like the people he analyzed for the book. But they started out small too. I can totally picture the "stumble up on" career trajectory growth that is described.
Analytical Engine wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:55 am
ETA: I have a couple of books I found transformative.
Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman. Although Postman writes about television, I found this book highly relevant to our modern, social media saturated world. Postman argues the format of television has basically dumbed down the discourse.

Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television by Jerry Mander. While the second half of the book kind of wanders off into the weeds, the first half is an enlightening look into how advertising/television makes the real world seem less "real."
Thanks for the suggestions! I found PDFs for them both, saves some dollars purchase cost.

If anyone else is interested:
Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman
Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television by Jerry Mander

I wasn't a great consumer of television while growing up. But I am a massive consumer of on-demand video (Netflix, YouTube, etc). I am curious if this will cure my "addiction". Video consumption is just a symptom though, I think it's distraction that i'm really addicted to.