fiby41

Re: akratic's ERE journal

Post by fiby41 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:15 am

FBeyer wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:53 pm
fiby41 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:13 pm
What are your favourite games anyway

At this point I could use some suggestions.
There are separate topics on this. You could start a new one and I'll be happy to talk board games until the cows come home.
I was referring to video games but thanks.
FBeyer wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:21 am
akratic wrote:...

Coming back to the job hunt question, I think my true lifestyle preference across all the adult years of my life would be, in order:
1) student at university
2) on an adventure I was excited about
3) 9-5
4) playing video games all day
5) entrepreneurship

This makes me think I should get a PhD and not a 9-5 at all.
I have to be an ass and ask you this then: If you'd really like to study, why aren't you studying now that you have the time rather than play video games "against your will"?
Noedig wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:48 am

Re Gaming addiction: I have similar problem, but I tend to time out gaming after two hours and go tackle a task list somewhere, so it's under control.
_JT wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:17 am
---------------------

akratic: going back a few posts (which is maybe a few months), you made a comment about lasting a long time in a room with books or video games, but if it's just sitting silently you "can't do it". My impression reading that was that you believe you are fundamentally incapable of this, and I think you're mistakenly operating from a belief that sitting still is an inborn trait. It isn't. That's why people talk about working on a meditation practice -- the act of learning how to live with the stillness takes decades.
Now that you mentioned it I realise that I maybe so lonely AF that I need people my age willing to play board games with more that I need board games. Cue: being alone but not lonely forum thread.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:52 am

So you aced your SATs and extracurricular activities in high school. Then you aced in your studies at one of the most prestigous universities in the world. Finally, you were able to sustain hardcore paying job in very competitive field for 1-2 years for 2-3 times for crazy amount of money.

And you are saying that you have problems with focus/procrastination/internet addiction?!

Where is the problem?
Did your parents send you to this school?
Do job offers like that lay on the ground?

What do I miss? :D

Noedig

Post by Noedig » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:49 pm

Me and my brother 6000 miles away, both shamefacedly admitted to buying games in the Steam sale, which we will have time to play in maybe a decade. Games are not like wine - so this is a form of hoarding, at least for virtual goods.

How you doing akratic with your struggle against self? I interpret the long silence as a positive sign that you are out engaging with the world. Hope so.

Allagash

Post by Allagash » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:42 pm

In 24 years of surfing the internet one of the better forum threads I've ever read. Thanks so much akratic for your unselfishness in sharing.