x

Where are you and where are you going?
namesarehard

x

Post by namesarehard »

x
Last edited by namesarehard on Sat May 12, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rube

Re: Retire by 30… in NYC?

Post by rube »

You are in a great position for a truly ERE!
I am curious for the next 5-6 years

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yes, as Senator Palpatine said in Episode One: "We will watch your [ERE] career with great interest." ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67h8GyNgEmA

JeanPaul

Post by JeanPaul »

Your investment strategy sounds textbook awful, epitomizing the tendencies that causes actual investors to hugely underperform the market - market timing and sitting out of the market, buying no-long-term return commodities, etc. At least you aren't planning to trade too much, although you admit you have a past history of speculation. However, as you say, with that savings rate, your investment strategy isn't particularly important. But in all good will, I would advise devoting your time to one of your 36 other hobbies.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

should & must.. Boy do I struggle with that, and rarely do what I must. Good article.

I think people would likely tell you that trying to time the market isn't going to work, on the other hand it's not a bad idea to have a big allocation of your portfolio in cash. You might find it useful to do some variation of PP/GB https://portfoliocharts.com/2016/04/18/ ... butterfly/

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Wow your new york rent sounds amazing. How cool to leave in such an amazing city at that rent. Are you in Manhattan?
My city needs rent controls.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Dude, me too! Fuck it, why doesn't everywhere just have rent control? It sounds like a pretty sweet idea.

namesarehard

Post by namesarehard »

@Dragline
I'll do my best to stay on track and not go anakin! Although that brings up the question, is ERE light side or dark side of the force :)

@JamesR -
Interesting stuff with the permanent portfolio/golden butterfly! Now I'm tempted to try to figure out a way to value average those portfolios against market cycles in each asset class. (although doing so may be beyond my investing expertise right now)

@thrifty++ and Kriegsspiel
Yes I'm in Manhattan, and got super-lucky with my situation. Rent control is fairly hard to get here, the only people I've met who have it have either lived here for 30+ years, or live(d) in my apartment. My coworkers are all paying ridiculous rent.

Your comment does remind me that I really shouldn't let myself take the city for granted. A friend and I had a similar realization last weekend while taking a ferry inwards - it makes me want to try to build these thoughts into my meditation practice.

namesarehard

Post by namesarehard »

x
Last edited by namesarehard on Sat May 12, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

namesarehard

Post by namesarehard »

x
Last edited by namesarehard on Sat May 12, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris

Post by Chris »

namesarehard wrote: We just got some new senior managers at work, who I happen to absolutely love.
Glad to hear that aspect of your life is turning positive!

banker22

Post by banker22 »

How's it going?

Jason

Post by Jason »

If you pull this off, you should write a book. Seriously. I lived in NYC on that money and it was just a bunch of Kafka.