calixarene's journal: I just can't wait to be free!

Where are you and where are you going?
calixarene

calixarene's journal: I just can't wait to be free!

Post by calixarene »

*cue Lion King music and silly dancing*

I think I have had ERE tendencies since I was a kid. Recently, I came across some old journals from when I was in elementary school. Here is an excerpt:
"I HATE cleaning my room! There is too much stuff!! I earned 25 cents today! I will save 100 dollars and buy my own house with no stuff and never have to clean ever! Also I will be a real author and drive my rocket to all the galaxys! Also I will have a secret laberatory and make jelly fish and bouncy balls and popsicles that last forever!"
Okay, maybe the second part wasn't so ERE. But I haven't changed that much - I still want to be an author, go into space, and make cool things in a lab. (Making popsicles that violate the laws of thermodynamics would be awesome too, but I try to be realistic. ;) ) [1]

I'm starting this journal because working toward ERE is something I want to actively focus on, and I want to connect with you all and track my progress. I've gotten some disparaging comments about my lifestyle in the past few weeks, and I realized that I need to articulate what I'm working toward rather than just saving for some vague idea of freedom.

My goals:
1. Save enough to be semi-ERE, probably around 200k. (I don't want to stop working entirely, but I would like to transition to being self-employed, with the freedom to only work on things I enjoy.)

2. In the same vein, increase income. I work in a STEM field, but not one of the well-paying ones. :) I need to set up some alternative streams of income.

3. Write books. I love writing fiction, but I'm also a pragmatist who doesn't want to starve. I've been reading a bit about self-publishing, though, and i like the idea of slowly building a writing career while I'm working at my day job.

4. Program and make things! I am learning javascript. I also won an Arduino from a hackathon a few months ago, and would like to learn how to do cool things with it. I'm entirely clueless about electronics, though, so I'm focusing on the javascript for now.

5. Reduce expenses. My expenses are already pretty low, but I would like to cut them another $100 a month, especially since winter heating will add another $100 to my gas bill.

6. Get better at investing. I have about 16-17k lying around doing nothing for me. All my invested money is in very diversified index funds (like VTSAX) and I'd like to buy some sector funds or individual stocks of stable companies.

State of the Stash:
40k, no debt, about 40/60 cash and investments
Savings rate: about 70%
Years left until ERE at this rate: 9.4 years, assuming a 3% WR and a 4% post-tax return on investment (according to networthify)
Years left until semi-ERE: 4.7 years

I'm hoping to add some graphs in this section once I have more data points.

I'm neither a software engineer who has mastered earning or a van dweller who has mastered frugality. I am simply trying to the make the most of what I have, to wit: a small bundle of savings, a decent but unexceptional brain, youth, a good work ethic, and a yearning to be free. I have a lot to learn, and look forward to improving my life. One of the reasons I'm starting this journal is to connect more with other ERErs, so comments, advice, or general grumblings are all welcome.

[1] In case you're wondering, I managed to achieve at least one of my childhood dreams: I'm a scientist! (At least, that's my official job title. My unofficial job title is "crazy mad scientist" and I have the splattered lab coat to prove it. :) )

zarathustra

Re: calixarene's journal: I just can't wait to be free!

Post by zarathustra »

Welcome! I loved this post!

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe »

Haha, you rule calixarene! I saw your post title in my RSS feed and the lion king song immediately started playing in my head. Welcome here!

GandK

Post by GandK »

I love your post, too. Welcome!

Several people here are writing in our spare time.

Noedig

Post by Noedig »

Welcome to the 'Circle of FI' !

I hope it moves you as it moves us all.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I'm neither a software engineer who has mastered earning or a van dweller who has mastered frugality.
I liked this. Welcome!

calixarene

Post by calixarene »

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I am still in the process of reading all your journals. Very inspiring.

Considering value when spending
My dad and I had an argument yesterday over spending. He called me “stingy,” which hurt, because in our native language, the word for “stingy” also has connotations of pettiness and narrow-mindedness. It was especially upsetting because I had plans to take him to one of the few US restaurants that serve his favorite dish. I wanted him to understand that while there are things I don't value and therefore refuse to buy, I don’t mind paying for something that makes him happy. (He hasn’t been able to find his favorite dish since he came the US. And when he’s eating something familiar from back home, you can tell he’s remembering his childhood just from the big smile on his face. So of course it’s worth it to me, and it hurt that he thought I was some petty miser who wouldn’t spare a penny.)

My family lives in a small town in the Midwest and my dad looks forward to eating at a good restaurant every time he visits a bigger city (80% of the locations in his GPS favorites are restaurants. Rather endearingly, he has a folder of neatly clipped newspaper advertisements for restaurants in the area he wants to try.)

Anyway, I think my dad now understands how I view money, but there’s no hope of getting my mom to understand; she is very particular and even gets irritated if I dice garlic differently from “the normal way.” I am thankful that although they won’t be retiring anytime soon, my parents remember what it was like to be poor, and thus are both financially responsible. (I suppose that is one reason for my own financial responsibility, as well; having experienced relative poverty once, I’m not keen on a second go.)

Writing
The newest novel I’ve been working on is a thriller/romance. The best way I can explain this is that many thrillers have romance subplots, which are frequently unmemorable; this is a romance with a crucial thriller subplot. I am about ¼ through the first draft. From what I’ve seen in my research, this might actually be marketable (unlike the modern day Henry James retelling I wrote last year or my Heinlein parody, “Goodnight Moon is a Harsh Mistress.” I kid you not.)

Programming
Not too much to report here. I’ve been doing some exercises (similar to those on coderbyte) and am making a simple portfolio site using bootstrap.

Reducing expenses
I have come up with a challenge for myself: keep my thermostat set at 45-50 deg. Fahrenheit. My family has always kept our thermostat set to 55-60 degrees and I always figured I could handle it a little colder. I know that lots of people use electric blankets, heat lights, etc, but the challenge for me is managing on body heat alone. I know it can be done because my 80 year old grandparents don’t have heat at all, and they manage freezing weather with nothing but an IR light in the shower and mountainous piles of blankets. This is not something I’m planning to replicate every winter, but I want to try it, and now is the ideal time:
1. I live by myself and control my thermostat, clothing, diet, etc.
2. I have no external pipes.
3. I live in a small town, and almost always visit my friends in the nearby city instead of the other way round.
4. I’m young and have no health issues.

Benefits:
1. Fun/interesting winter challenge.
2. I’ll probably keep more active to stay warm.
3. Brown fat activation.
4. Reduced gas bill.
5. Excuse to wear my ridiculously comfortable, aggressively fuzzy microfiber pants all the time. (They are the slightly more socially acceptable version of a Snuggie.)
6. One more reason to bake…oops, that will probably offset the calories burned from being more active.

We'll see how it goes! :) Let me know if you have any tips on staying warm. So far I am just wrapping up and keeping active; hopefully I'll start to acclimate in the next few weeks.
Last edited by calixarene on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Waiting for the update: So how did you pass your cold winter?

singvestor

Post by singvestor »

am also very curious about an update. Is the novel finished? Talking about being curious: is your family from India / South Asia by any chance?

calixarene

Post by calixarene »

I am long overdue for a journal update.

I don’t think about early retirement as much as I used to. I used to read ERE and MMM religiously, and check Personal Capital daily and calculate exactly how close I was to retiring, to 2 decimal places. Since my last post, my grandmother had a stroke, my workplace had layoffs (twice), I got in a car accident, dealt with a depressive episode, and just last week, a close family friend suffered a hemorrhagic stroke and is now on life support. So it’s been a rough year, and I’ve been preoccupied.

Luckily, my 86 year old grandmother just passed her 1 year mark post-stroke (like a badass), and I’m still employed and in good health. But I can’t help feeling this sinking regret, this urgency; it feels like everyone is dying, and time just keeps running out.

Regret: a sentimental detour

One of my main motivations for FI is to spend some more time with my grandparents, who raised me for years while my parents were in the US making a stable enough life for me to join them. My dad was in the US while I was born, and my mom left shortly after, so my grandparents were the people who changed my diapers, helped me take my first steps, bought my first toy. In the last 21 years, I’ve spent less than two months with them in total. Every time I go back they’re a little older and frailer. My grandmother used to love to cook and eat, and she was never a thin woman. When I went to see my grandmother after she had her stroke, she was tiny, and barely ate at all. I was terrified that I was going to come back to the US and she would die before I ever saw her again. I’m still scared. It’s one of the reasons why I want to reach semi-retirement/self-employment as soon as possible, instead of saving up for full FIRE. I would love to be able to spend a month or two in China, visit her nursing home everyday and bring her foods from all her favorite restaurants, keep her morale up, do her physical therapy with her, and give my grandfather a break from caregiving. It’s selfish too – I ‘d want to be able to express to her,through my actions, everything I never could through language.
When she got all tiny and stooped, my dad and I would try to help her out in the kitchen. But the kitchen was her domain; she would shoo us out, brandishing her wooden spatula. I used to dream about one day going home and learning all her recipes. It is too late for all that now.

Floating towards FIRE, and a progress report

Even though I haven’t been thinking about retirement specifically, I have been maintaining the systems I set up: frugal living, value optimization, automated investing. Simply by “going with the flow,” so to speak, I’ve reached a ~10% WR. Barring a major market dip, I am roughly two years from reaching my “semi-FIRE” number, where I have enough saved up to quit my job and work for myself. At that point, I’ll only need to cover my low expenses, and my savings can grow until I actually decide to retire.

I’m going to review the goals I first set about a year ago.

Save enough to be semi-retired, around 200k.
I should get there in about 2 years. My plan is the same as before, namely:
Get to 200-250k (~20-25 years of expenses)
Increase (net) side income to at least 2x expenses
Quit day job and keep maxing out the Roth. Grow the side business, learn new skills, and work on projects for for fun, profit, and/or social good.

Increase income.
I worked really hard at my job and increased my salary ~10% in the past year, which is pretty good for R&D, and am approved for a promotion and another raise this year. I made ~1k in miscellaneous side income in 2016 (sort of accidentally). I'm going to actually make an effort this year and aim for 6k.

I have realized that my current career will not reward me for the time and effort I put in, primarily because I am in a dead-end role in a lower paying field (R&D in a basic science, without a PhD). After this promotion, there is nowhere else for me to go. Overall, I guess I’ve been more and more disillusioned with my job. The fun/learning stage has passed, and I’m well into “slog” stage. I spend a lot of time troubleshooting and writing reports to justify current practices, and do little to no new product development. I'm not learning a lot or building new skills. No one wants to make any changes or process improvements due to regulatory barriers, so most of the time my recommendations don’t get implemented anyway. I used to be so idealistic. :( I still am deep down, but not so much about my job anymore.

The main issue is not income, but that I don’t see a future for me in my current field. The clincher is that even if I weren't planning on ERE, I wouldn’t want to get a PhD in my field. So I am having a bit of a career crisis. Advice or suggestions are welcome!

Write books.
I finished my novel, put it on Amazon, and didn’t check it for several months. As of today, it has made about $300, mostly in Kindle Unlimited borrows. It was my “practice book” and I spent no money on covers, editing, or promotion, so that’s not too bad, even though my hourly wage was probably around 50 cents an hour. I started another book during Nanowrimo this year, but haven’t made much progress since then.

Program and make things.
I haven’t done as much of this as I would like, although I did learn a bit of python and start FreeCodeCamp. I have plenty of ideas, but am frequently too drained after work to do technical work in the evenings. I plan to focus more on this this year.

Reduce expenses.
I have reduced my expenses to comfortably below the federal poverty level, though not nearly to Jacob levels. A 3% WR from my current portfolio can now cover all expenses except for housing and health insurance (and who needs those?) This year, I want to raise my savings rate to 82%. Here are the distribution of my expenses from last year: http://imgur.com/R5EKY6X

I should clarify that I pay rent to my parents and take care of a townhouse they own, and in return I’m covered under the family health insurance. I could cut my housing expenses by 30-50% by living somewhere else, but this would upset my family. This is why my “home” expenses are relatively high and my health expenses are minimal.

Get better at investing.
I automated my investments, and decided on an asset allocation I’m comfortable with. (I have a simple 90% equity Boglehead 3 fund portfolio.) I used Brexit as an opportunity to get more international exposure, which worked out well, and maxed out my ESPP. However, I don’t see the advantage in pursuing this further right now; at this point in my life, I’ll probably get better return by focusing on my career and building side income. I just don’t have enough capital to make it worthwhile. I will continue to take advantage of market dips and discounts, but won’t put effort into stock picking.

One thing that makes me happy is that all of these goals are goals that I still hold and am making some sort of progress toward. It’s good that I still want the same things I wanted last year.

State of the Stash:
9.5x expenses
Savings rate: 80%
Years left until FIRE at this rate: ~6
Years left until semi-FIRE: 2-2.5 years

Keeping my house cold

I mentioned that I keep my house cold (at 45-48 degrees F, or ~8-10 C.) I first did this in 2015, when I realized that I had to pay my own heating bill for the first time in my life. At the time, I planned it as a one-time experiment, but it was such a success that I’m doing it again this year.

Here was my gas bill for last year. http://i.imgur.com/mKp2smg.jpg
The total was <$180 for 7 months of “winter.” (Welcome to the northern Midwest!) I did have friends and family stay over a few times, so there are a few 68F days in there. For reference, I live in the upper Midwest, where it routinely gets below 0 F. I don’t have a space heater or electric blanket, since I consider that “cheating.” :)

As promised, here are my highest leverage tips for staying warm. Keep in mind that these are what work for me; you may be different.
  • Try to always keep moving. When sitting, tap your toes or wiggle your legs. This promotes circulation and generates heat through muscle contraction. Alternatively, tense large muscle groups like your thighs and butt. This is especially helpful if you have low blood pressure like me; I can get cold even at 75 degrees if I’m not moving enough. Periodically do a plank and run up and down the stairs a few times.
  • Tuck everything in to avoid heat loss by convection. Inner shirts should be tucked into pants, and pants should be tucked into socks. Clothes should be close-fitting but not constricting. I love fuzzy microfiber clothes; it’s like being dressed in little clouds. I probably also look ridiculous (like a poofy human-sized cygnet,) so I keep it for home wear only.
  • To prevent cold feet, before bed I do jumping jacks, squats, and most critically, a 1 minute plank. A 30 s to 1 min plank is also a surefire cure for cold or stiff hands and feet. I think the muscle contraction really helps.
    Avoid drafts altogether if possible. My drafty bedroom is ~3-5 degrees colder than the rest of the house. Last year, I tried all sorts of strategies to warm myself up before going into bed, and I still froze every morning. This year, I moved my bed to the office area, right next to a vent. It’s downright cozy now.
  • Showering is the most painful thing about keeping the house cold. Oh God, the showers. I have long hair, too, which just prolongs the misery. I shower at the pool every chance I get. When I do shower at home, it is immediately post-workout, when my circulation is up and I’m still feeling warm. I turn up the temperature from 45 to 48 degrees and let the water warm up until it gets steamy. Last year I was stubborn, and would just suck it up and shiver through my shower. Now that I know that I’m capable of it, I am never willingly subjecting myself to that again.
  • Food is important. I’ve found that the best foods to keep me warm are warm meat and hot ginger tea. I’ve tried grains, beans, eggs, nuts and all manner of vegetables and spices, but meat and ginger keep me consistently toasty.
  • When really, really, really cold, breathe deeply, get those “I’M SO COLD” thoughts out of your head, and focus on something else. I saw a study on PubMed about how Buddhist monks increased their body temperature by meditating and imagining a fire in their spine. I can only aspire to be so spiritual, so I borrow a page from Meg Murry in A Wrinkle in Time, who recites the periodic table and irrational roots to prevent the villain of the story from taking over her mind. I prefer integrals and the organic reaction mechanisms. :geek:
Effects and observations from my cold house experiment:
  • I don’t eat keto or even low carb, but when I’m cold, I have little to no interest in sugary or starchy foods. Instead I just want animal protein all the time. I am normally comfortable eating <1 lb of meat a week, so these meat cravings only happen during the experiment.
  • I lost around 5 lbs over the winter months, despite eating loads of meat, yogurt, beans, and baked goods. Around half of that weight loss was permanent.
  • This year is way easier than last year was. I don’t know if this is a result of better systems to keep warm, or if my body is more used to cold adaptation.
  • I need to drink >3L of water a day to feel well-hydrated.
  • I used to catch one cold every year from my coworkers. The year I did the cold experiment, I didn’t get sick even once. Not even a cough! This year, 5 people at work have been sick and I’m still fine. The sample size is too low to make any conclusions, of course, but at least I can say that the “cold” exposure is not significantly weakening my immune system.

FI Music: Indie Edition
Since I started my journal with a song, I’ll end every post with a song that reminds me of FI or ERE. Today is the Replacements’ “Here Comes A Regular,” which brings to mind that guy at work who wants to retire so badly you can tell just by looking at him, but needs to drag himself back day after day to pay off the 500k house. We all know that guy.

Kneeling alongside old Sad Eyes
He says opportunity knocks once then the door slams shut
All I know is I'm sick of everything that my money can buy
The fool who wastes his life, God rest his guts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdbXGi2WX0Q

calixarene

Post by calixarene »

Sorry for disappearing for almost a year!
Eureka wrote:Waiting for the update: So how did you pass your cold winter?
Very well, so well I'm doing it again!
singvestor wrote:am also very curious about an update. Is the novel finished? Talking about being curious: is your family from India / South Asia by any chance?
Novel is finished, see new update. :) My family is from East Asia.

Fish

Post by Fish »

calixarene wrote:One of my main motivations for FI is to spend some more time with my grandparents
Is it possible to take a leave of absence and do those things you wanted now? It strikes me that you don't really need to be FI or even semi-retired to do what you were suggesting. Frontload the 1-2 months of life experience if you can manage it without causing too much damage. FIRE can wait.

Noedig

Post by Noedig »

My sympathies for your tough year. Your concerns about your grandmother are touching, and your memories of her are precious to you: that will always matter. Reminds me, I wish I could have time with my long-departed grandparents again. They were just context when they were alive, now they are inaccessible they seem more like protagonists in a gritty historical novel of which I only have the bookjacket and blurb.

You sound a lot more sorted out than I was at your age. Seems like of the problems of your life, the biggest is deciding on a change in career direction. A toughie. I can't suggest viable alternative choices, other than the "Screw it, I'm going travelling for a year" option. You seem like a problem solver: carry on carrying on for a while, some kind of pattern will emerge. Plan B for an escape is ERE in under a decade, it seems.

Well done on the novel, and writing. A Heinlein parody ! Never read one of those: I actually looked for your story on the net but found it not alas. I am actually quite partial to pastiche: some authors attract it more than others, Lovecraft for example.

Re Arduino, I went on a day workshop for that with fam trying to get my girls coding (which they did quite successfully but without much subsequent enthusiasm) since which point the kit has languished, perhaps because although it is possible to program an Arduino to do anything, what need do I have for a programmable door lock or home appliance microcontroller? Fun perhaps if I had more time. Or more imagination.

If you want to learn about electronics from ground up I recommend looking up big clive on you tube, a peculiar personality with an analytic mind and a tendency to take things apart while drawing a circuit diagram.

Your stash seems sensibly organised: keep calm and carry on saving. You also live a life of the mind: for such as that, we live in an age of plenty and wonder, and you are a fortunate one. Keep in touch with your friends and be open to new experiences, and your life may open up and generate new possibilities. I just read that last para and it sounds entirely trite - but at the same time what I would have told a younger self in a similar situation to yours, maybe. I am seemingly turning into an ERE fortune cookie generator. Good luck.

calixarene

Post by calixarene »

Good God, it's been years.

Looking back, a lot has changed.  I have a happy, full life and don’t think (obsess?) about ERE as much as I used to. But I’m naturally goal and future-oriented, so I’m still planning out my future. 
Since my last post, my grandmother had a stroke, my workplace had layoffs (twice), I got in a car accident, dealt with a depressive episode, and just last week, a close family friend suffered a hemorrhagic stroke and is now on life support. So it’s been a rough year, and I’ve been preoccupied.
Luckily, my 86 year old grandmother just passed her 1 year mark post-stroke (like a badass), and I’m still employed and in good health. But I can’t help feeling this sinking regret, this urgency; it feels like everyone is dying, and time just keeps running out.
I wrote that nearly 3 years ago. It's a comfort looking back on times of hardship and seeing proof that things do turn out all right after all, at least for a while - until they get bad again, and then all is well again, and so on and so on. But for now, things are good - I'm the happiest I've been in years.

New job
I started a new job a couple years ago and am so much happier than I was in my last one. For once all my crazy ideas are encouraged and dare I say, even celebrated?  I got to check off my bucket list item of filing a patent application - actually, several patent applications! (Turns out those crazy ideas are good for something.) It’s been a lot of fun and I could see myself doing this for a while.  They’re promoting me next year and all I have to do is continue coming up with ideas and working on cool stuff! It’s pretty awesome.  I recognize that it might not stay fun forever, but I’m enjoying this while it lasts. 

Grandparents
I’ve been lucky enough to visit my grandparents every year. It melts my heart seeing my grandmother light up when she sees me.  She raised me for the first few years of my life, until I came to the US to join my parents, and I take after her, so we’ve always had a special bond.  She’s nearing her nineties now, and I know she doesn’t have much longer.

We talked a lot the last time I saw her. Before I left, I asked her if she would like it if I took some time off between jobs and spent it with her. "It makes me very happy to see you living your own life," she said. "There's not much for you here."
"You and grandpa are here!" I protested.
"I like seeing you grow up and make your own life. Just come back to visit once in a while." Her face crinkled into a smile. "And find a boy and get married!"

So that's that. I'll spend a couple weeks visiting her this year, and of course I send my grandparents regular updates. But I understand. If I had grandchildren, I would want them to live their own lives too. "Stop hanging around here so much, I'm not that fascinating," I would say, poking them with my cane, "Now go out there and do something wonderful with your life!"

Oh yeah, finances
Financially, I'm mostly on autopilot. All my non-housing expenses total about $5-6k (this includes pretax insurance) - I'm excluding my housing expenses as it's complicated at the moment, but suffice it to say that I could comfortably live on 12k. I've easily surpassed my initial goals of 200-250k (though that could change with a market downturn). The trouble is that now that I have the money, I don't want to (semi)retire! :lol:

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

Good on you for making sure to maintain a bond with your grandparents. I think learning about your grandparents in their most formative years really helps to shed light on who your parents are and therefore who you are.

The grandparent I was closest with passed when I was 18 and while I wouldn't say I have many regrets in my life, I do wish I had had the wherewithal at that age to take more of an interest in his life. Drafted into WWII before graduating high school, spending 3 years in Europe in the early 40's, driving trucks across the whole country for 30 years thereafter... We spent a lot of time together yet I have hardly any first hand accounts of his experiences as a young man in the war and in post-war America.

Like you, I'm now doing my best to keep in good communication with my last living grandparent. Learning about her life has really been invaluable and I need to go visit her again soon.