inchicago's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
inchicago

Re: inchicago's journal

Post by inchicago »

A little late, but here's last month's update.

My savings rate for the month of October was 10%. My biggest expense was my side trip to Vermont and some new clothing I bought. However, it was worth it. I finally got to see the fall leaves and I enjoyed photographing them very much. The new clothing was for work and I certainly needed an upgrade with some of my clothes.

So how did I do on my grocery/eating out challenge? Not as great as I would have liked, but I think it’s going to be a process. I did get it $100 less than in prior months. That’s something but this is an area I need to get serious on.

Books I read this month:
1. Life Visioning
2. The Book of How
3. The Best American Travel Writing 2015

Other thoughts:
1. I realize I’ll never be an ERE’er. Which is fine with me. What the ERE book and forums has done for me is given me a solid plan to become FI. To take a lot of the worry away that I had about having to work forever.
2. There have been tons of stories on planes like Yahoo, etc., where folks are complaining how they cannot pay their student loan debt. I agree that tuition prices are out of control, especially for what you receive in return. However, when these folks complain and say they have gone on multiple vacation, etc., I can’t feel bad for them. It seems people these days don’t feel they should pay their debts first. Instant gratification.
3. I think this martial arts thing is bringing some benefits. Slightly more energy and no nappy on the weekend.

El Duderino

Post by El Duderino »

inchicago wrote: Other thoughts:
1. I realize I’ll never be an ERE’er. Which is fine with me. What the ERE book and forums has done for me is given me a solid plan to become FI. To take a lot of the worry away that I had about having to work forever.
2. There have been tons of stories on planes like Yahoo, etc., where folks are complaining how they cannot pay their student loan debt. I agree that tuition prices are out of control, especially for what you receive in return. However, when these folks complain and say they have gone on multiple vacation, etc., I can’t feel bad for them. It seems people these days don’t feel they should pay their debts first. Instant gratification.
3. I think this martial arts thing is bringing some benefits. Slightly more energy and no nappy on the weekend.

Hi inchicago, I enjoy reading your journal and following along. Also agree with your first point here; ERE has brought a similar understanding for me.

Out of curiosity, what martial arts are you doing?

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

Thanks El Duderino. :) I have begun karate. Also, doing kickboxing on alternate evenings when I can and work does not interfere (like this evening). I have always wanted to break boards with my hands but also I need to learn some self-defense. The world is a scary place. I can already feel a difference in not needing to sleep as much and feeling that I stand straighter when before I was very lazy in my posture.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

My savings rate for the month of November was 2%. Big sad face. :( My biggest expenses were a vet trip to get three teeth removed for my dog for almost $750! The second thing was three new belts for my car and maintenance for the front brakes for a total of $394! I guess I shouldn’t complain too much about the car thing. The car will be 20 years old next year and I haven’t put a lot in it in repairs or maintenance. In the springtime, I’ll need another $250 worth of work, and if all goes well, that should be all for a while. November was a very tough month financially. However, I look forward to 2017 with optimism that I can reach the goals that I set out for myself for the year. Especially considering most of my old stuff has been replaced or repaired now. However, I still need to get the back brakes fixed and the brake fluid replaced on the car. I had seriously considered to buy a new car, but my father who uses everything until it falls apart made a good point. It’s only two car payments for repairs and then it’s done. There is only 53,000 miles on the car so my hope is I have a few more years in it.

In 2017, I will concentrate getting my spending down in the grocery/eating out category. If I could get that to under $500/per month. I’d be ecstatic! I remember a few years ago, I spent around $120/per month for myself. I figure to be on the safe side, $100/per week for groceries and another $100 to eat out. That seems fair.

All my other expenses are pretty nil. I get books for the library and have not renewed several of my magazine subscriptions. I haven’t bought magazines on the newsstands, either, especially since most magazines are $7+. I rarely spend money on clothing, although I will need a decent pair of sneakers this summer since I threw out the other two since they had lots of holes in them.

The truth is, though, I need to really pay attention to spending, more so than I have been doing. I need to stick with my automatically saving $2k every month (except on months where the property taxes are due).

My project for the month of December is to lay off the sugar. That means no chai lattes, which I think I’ve had too much of anyway since they are becoming boring to me. However, they sure are a nasty habit. I realize it’s the holidays but I think it’s a good time to start cutting out things that are bad for me. My health is better but nowhere at the levels that it should be and the only thing I can figure is it’s the sugar in those daily drinks. Tomorrow starts my first day. I know from experience that the first week is always hard. Now, I will stick with it once that first week had been accomplished. Plus, I’m guessing that saves me somewhere between $100-$200/per month. I know I’ve tried it before, but I truly thought that I could get healthier and keep that habit somewhat. Now, it looks like it’s not going to happen. I suppose it’s for the best.

Books I read this month:
1. Paris: The Novel
2. Ubuntu!
3. The Island of Lost Maps

Other thoughts:
1. After this month of bills and a bit of holiday spending, I am VERY eager to get back on track to FI. I’ve been thinking about it HARD for the past few days and I really want to get moving forward.
2. The focus of 2017 will be: health, exercise, learning investing, making some money in the real estate market and saving money.
3. I don’t know if I’m just getting old or what, but now when I travel, I feel it’s more of a hassle. All of the prep work and then dealing with airports, cabs, etc. Then there’s the travel back home, and the unpacking, etc. What I would really like to do, after I can “retire”, is spend 6 months+ in an area and maybe take a university class on architecture, or learn some of the language or cook a few special dishes wherever it is I’m staying. Spending over $1k for a week somewhere just seems ludicrous. It really does. Why this change of heart???!!!
4. I’m going to a project management career day in a week. I hope this will jumpstart me to find something where I’d enjoy going to work just a bit more than currently. I have never had such trouble before finding a job, and truthfully, I’ve pretty much given up this past six months, but now I feel if I can get the health situation under control, then just maybe, I’ll get the energy to try again.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

Just to throw out some quick numbers:
Liabilities=$0
Assets=$250k

A few years ago, those would have been sad numbers indeed.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

My savings rate for the month of December was 24%. In the middle of this month, the car wouldn’t start. I guess the battery and/or the engine was too cold so I had to get used to having no car. The good thing was that there was only a lose sparkplug and the car was cold and after a jump, it started right up. The roadside assistance guy said he had to tow tons of 2017 cars this past week so I’m happy my car was old.

In 2017, I will concentrate getting my spending down in the grocery, eating out category. If I could get that to under $500/per month. I’d be ecstatic! I remember a few years ago, I spent around $120/per month for myself. I figure to be on the safe side, $100/per week average for groceries and another $100 to eat out for the month. That seems fair.

All my other expenses are pretty nil. I get books for the library and have not renewed several of my magazine subscriptions. I haven’t bought magazines on the newsstands, either, especially since most magazines are $7+. I rarely spend money on clothing, although I will need a decent pair of sneakers this summer since I threw out the other two since they had lots of holes in them.

I’ve made up my budget for next year where my savings already in my “bill” money so that way I can be assured that I always save what I want to, with a large portion going towards cash savings, a couple hundred for stock investing and setting up a Roth IRA for myself.

I’m looking into Fundrise as a potential investment, but I’ve only put $1,000 in there this month to see how it goes. I’d rather stockpile cash right now until some of the investments come down in price. Lending Club has been a huge disappointment as of late. I guess folks need to pay for their holiday purchases rather than paying their bills.

I’m still doing martial arts and kickboxing, although the school has been closed this past week. I’m also going to focus on some energy protection and overall psychic ability exercises to get myself in a better mood and see things in a much more positive light than I have this past year.

Books I read this month:
1. The Geography of Genius
2. What the Lady Wants (A fiction book that I’m still not sure how ended up in my reading pile.)
3. Learn How to Increase Your Chances of Winning the Lottery (This was for fun, as I saw it on the Internet. It was pretty lame and didn’t give me any of the laughs that I was expecting.)
4. Maximum Influence
5. The Bible Didn’t Say That

Other thoughts:
1. After this month of bills and a bit of holiday spending, I am VERY eager to get back on track to FI. I’ve been thinking about it HARD for the past few days and I really want to get moving forward.
2. The focus of 2017 will be: health, exercise, learning investing, making some money in the real estate market and saving money.
3. I don’t know if I’m just getting old or what, but now when I travel, I feel it’s more of a hassle. All of the prep work and then dealing with airports, cabs, etc. Then there’s the travel back home, and the unpacking, etc. What I would really like to do, after I can “retire”, is spend 6 months+ in an area and maybe take a university class on architecture, or learn some of the language or cook a few special dishes wherever it is I’m staying. Spending over $1k for a week somewhere just seems ludicrous. It really does. Why this change of heart???!!! On the upside, I have enjoyed reading about travel. My favorite is reading travel memoirs before the age of social media such as those by Patrick Leigh Fermor who travels across Europe.
4. I really can’t wait until my husband finishes his degree, (one more year!), and gets a full-time job. That will help out immensely with reducing my portion of the bills since they will then be shared.
5. I think not having closets may be better for most. The reason why is that closets are just a good place to store stuff. During the holiday, we cleaned out the closets (we only have two) and the cabinets. It was amazing what I got rid of. I really like the minimalism look. Too much stuff hanging around makes me anxious and unable to concentrate.

2016 Summary:
1. Doing much better financially than 2015, but I still have a long way to go.
2. Debt free for over two years now!
3. My net worth rose around $20,000 this year.
4. Getting rid of the huge stack of books I had sitting there for years. I’m down to only four books left to read. (The fourth book I received as a Christmas gift.)
5. Will continue to look for a new job, but I won’t put a whole lot of effort in it.
6. Raw vegan is the best diet for me.
7. Exercise is good as well as getting out in nature.
8. My average savings rate was 26%/per month + 10% with the 401k = 36%.
9. Minimalism is good.
10. Figured out my FI date of December 1, 2029. (Edited: This is because I want to keep my current lifestyle and travel. I could make this before this date, but I know what I want.)

2017 Goals:
1. Learn to invest wisely in stocks.
2. Begin a Roth IRA.
3. Obtain a Yellow Belt in karate.
4. Continue strengthening psychic abilities.
5. Make some $ with small business.
6. Listen to more music.
7. Stick to savings/investing plan.
8. Stress less and quit volunteering for work projects and professional projects.
9. Make more crafts-embroidery, knitting, etc. (I have tons of stuff to make these without buying a thing.)
10. Get a few low maintenance plants to put in the house to bring the nature indoors.
11. Expand my friend circle. Most of the friends I had, which were very few, have moved away.
12. Focus more on what I want, not on what I don’t want.
13. Savings/investment rate at least an average of 40% of income per month (not counting the 401k).
14. Convince my husband to save more.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great New Year and 2017 is awesome for all of us!

Edit should be: 2016 net worth climbed by about 45k because of the rise in price of my condo, not almost 20k (which only counted cash savings and 401k contributions).
Last edited by inchicago on Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Are you intending to fund a Roth for 2016, ahead of tax time, to use that eligibility as well?

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

No, I'm starting for 2017 so every month I will be putting aside so much money to fund it until I hit the max. Then, I will continue doing this every year I can.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

I wonder if anyone runs into this, that you think about buying something for a holiday or special occasion, and then think, "Where am I going to store it until next year?" It's a good deterrent from buying impulse items or things that will only be used twice a year.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

We gave away most of the holiday stuff, for that very reason. Not dealing with it is a big time saver as well.

I just noticed the 2029 FI date - very doable. My guess is you'll be surprised how quickly the wealth snowballs and beat this by a good margin. With 5-10 years saved, life can no longer throw you around financially. Both earnings and savings take off as a result of the stability/power.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

I will feel a lot better when I have the 5-10 years saved, for sure. What I've done to keep myself on track is made cash envelopes for groceries and eating out this month to ensure I don't spend more than I have allocated. It's much more difficult for me to spend cash because I start to panic when I see it dwindling.

I also wanted a wreath for my front door. Trying to make my place more homey. I saw one online I really liked and with shipping it was over $100! For a wreath! I took a photo of it, and am headed to the craft store in a couple of weeks to make my own for a fraction of that price. I used to make all my stuff so I'm going to start again. Maybe I'll even be able to sell a few things like I used to.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted. I think I’ll stick to quarterly updates from now on. So for the best news: I FINALLY GOT A NEW JOB! No more overtime, lots less stress and more money/vacation. I’m still absolutely exhausted from my old job but I’m hoping in another month or two I can start seeing positive changes in my health.

My savings rates continue to increase, slowly but surely. I finished this past month over 50%. At the end of the year, I want to be at 60%.

Recipes:
I thought I would share two quick and healthy recipes for soup and vegetable lovers here.

Sweet Potato and Apple Soup (hot)
2 sweet potatoes
2 crisp green apples
2 leeks (optional)
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
½ tsbp. sea salt
Chipotle pepper powder
Water

- Cut up the sweet potatoes, apples and leeks (if using) and put in the pan along with enough water to cover everything up . Add the 2 bouillon cubes, salt and as much of the chipotle as you like. After the potatoes are soft, put everything in a blender/Vitamix and process. This makes enough for a bowl of soup for 4 people or for 1 person like me, you can eat it for your dinner for the next 2 nights.

Raw Vegan Tomato Soup (cold)
3-4 small tomatoes or one very large “ugly” tomato
2 dates (cut up so it’s easier on the blender)
¼ tbsp. sea salt
Balsamic vinegar
Water

- Process everything in a blender and add just enough water so the blender doesn’t get stuck. I use a Vitamix. It makes a nice, super healthy mid-morning snack.

Goals for the next quarter (April-June):
• Walk much more
• Drink only water (pretty close to this, just need to eliminate the tea drinking)-will save about $50 per month which should get my eating out expenses way down
• Stay away from chocolate (accomplished so far since the first week of February)-saving me at least $20/per month
• Continue cutting down on the grocery bill-down to $375 this month; goal is $300 by the end of the quarter
• Continue cutting down on eating out-get this to under $200 average/per month by the end of the quarter
• Books, clothing, etc. have not even averaged $50 in the quarter so that’s going very well
• Lose at least seven pounds
• More yoga and weight lifting
• Open IRA

I've managed to read about 15 books over the past three months.

Other thoughts:
1. ERE and becoming FI is really about taking an alternative path. Thinking that things can be different. It’s difficult for me to find others to talk over my ideas with about ERE concepts. I realize that those on this forum are in the very far minority. Of course, the rules state not to talk ERE with others so that may play a factor, too.
2. I came across a post that listed the Nomad List and I have really enjoyed reading through the potential different places to live. No law (yet anyway) says I have to remain in the U.S. all my life. I like travel and seeing new things so I’m beginning to consider a cheaper destination like Thailand where many expats and retired folks go. My criteria are the weather has to be somewhat mild and I have to be able to live decently for under $1000/per month. This would ensure that I could retire before I’m 55, live off my savings until 67, and then collect retirement benefits.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

It’s been so long since I’ve posted, that I forgot my password. Anyway, it’s time for this year’s summary and new goals to be written.

2017 Goals Summary:
1. Learn to invest wisely in stocks.
While I did manage to learn a lot more and open up a Roth, I only put in $1,000 for this year. I will continue my education on the stock market.
2. Begin a Roth IRA.
completed
3. Obtain a Yellow Belt in karate.
Due to several health issues and a foot injury, I had to drop out of karate and kickboxing.
4. Continue strengthening psychic abilities.
I worked on this some. Not enough for major progress, though.
5. Make some $ with small business.
I cancelled my current small business as this is something that interested me at all. My plan is, once I figure out my current situation, to get a few income streams running.
6. Listen to more music.
completed
7. Stick to savings/investing plan.
Not even close this year. The bills, especially medical, just piled up. While I could pay them all and didn’t add any debt, it didn’t help my piggy bank one bit. I am grateful, though, that I could afford everything with no major financial issues.
8. Stress less and quit volunteering for work projects and professional projects.
Completed, while I did volunteer for a couple of this to add to my resume, that was it. I will continue this into the new year.
9. Make more crafts-embroidery, knitting, etc. (I have tons of stuff to make these without buying a thing.)
I did make some ornaments for a charity event and picked up an instrument again. I still have some work to do in this area.
10. Get a few low maintenance plants to put in the house to bring the nature indoors.
I brought my lily plant from my former job in the house.
11. Expand my friend circle. Most of the friends I had, which were very few, have moved away.
Epic fail on this one, too. I lost at least two, which was for the best. I will not replace them.
12. Focus more on what I want, not on what I don’t want.
Continuing to do this and define what it is I really want. I know now what I want but trying to get it is not always easy, i.e., job, health, money, etc. Working towards it all.
13. Savings/investment rate at least an average of 40% of income per month (not counting the 401k).
Fail, as stated above. However, on a positive note, I did hit the $300k net worth mark.
14. Convince my husband to save more.
While I had to control his spending, he wasn’t able to save much so we are working on getting him a new full-time position.

Seriously, 2017 sucked pretty big. A disaster in most ways but I’m going to keep my head up and look toward the future since really, what else can I do? I’m still debt free but after this year, but I’m more than ever focused on getting myself in even better financial shape, so I no longer have to worry when I find myself in bad situations.

I’ve been in a bad place for a good portion of this year and I’m so glad that I have been debt-free and saved enough money to get me through these times. While it hasn’t been fun by any means, at least I have been able to rest at time knowing I can cover expenses and can survive if my job, etc., goes south.

2018 Goals:
1. Hit $350k+ net worth and remain debt-free.
2. Husband is working a full-time position.
3. Focus more on happiness.
4. Start an indoor garden. I think I’ll start with tomatoes and herbs.
5. Continue with raw vegan diet (@ at least 85% of the time) that was started late in 2017.
6. Be in a position to buy a rental condo no later than 2019.
7. Explore additional passive income revenue streams. (Any ideas, send them my way!)
8. Take at least one vacation and hopefully it will be stress free!
9. Continue with music and crafts for enjoyment.
10. Continue the positive gains that I have in lessening eating out and drinking tea outside the home. I have gotten it down about 35%. Lots of work to do but it has held steady here.

In 2018, I really want to focus on what I want. Stop stressing and worry about things out of my control. I want to continue to do the things that I enjoy: reading, walking, exploring, music, (and whatever else I can’t think of right now).

I want to wish everyone a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR and hope everyone’s dreams and ERE goals are successful!

CS

Post by CS »

Happy New Year to you too!!! Congrats on making in through 2017 (I'm assuming you'll finish the last two weeks ;) ). Onwards and upwards.

giskard

Post by giskard »

I like your yearly goals, good mix of concrete goals and things that are more like a process you can continually improve at.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

It's been awhile since my last post. I have been reflecting on the past two years and realize I need to get serious about this ERE thing as the clock is ticking every day. I read a journal post earlier (Jin+Guice's) and I was like whoa, that was the best summary I've seen as far as what we are taught here in the U.S. to believe and do. Go to school, get a job, be a slave to the career, get a house with a 30 year mortgage, 2.x kids, and the list goes on. I've known for the last 20 years, that I didn't want that, but it seems every time I tried, I let someone suck me back in. I am so glad we have a community like this, with other like-minded people, where we can turn to for ideas, inspiration, etc.

As I was reflecting, I realize I have absolutely no good excuse for not saving at least 60% of my income. No excuse whatsoever. I'm embarrassed to say I was terrible this year with the eating out thing. I can tell you it did nothing for my waistline or pocketbook. For that, I'm going to be on an all-cash system. I won't totally deprive myself, but I won't be spending even half of what I was spending. During the last few weeks, I have gathered easy, healthy recipes where I can make large batches to use for work snacks, breakfast and lunch. I even started doing this recently and enjoyed my homemade stuff much more. Plus, I eat less. While I'm certainly not what you would call overweight, I do have a few extra inches to lose and need to gain more muscle. I have been utilizing the free gym at work in order to achieve that. It's just a small gym, but it has enough for me to accomplish what I need to. I also have some exercises I can do at home. Part of my issue is a foot injury I got back at the first of summer in 2017. I'd say I'm about 80% healed but any running, jogging, etc., is out of the question for now.

My average savings rate in 2018 was 20% and that included my 401k. :( This is why I have made myself a plan. I've planned out any big purchases I may need, plus property taxes, to make sure I accomplish the goals I have laid out for myself in 2019. What I really want to do, is to be able to live in different places for 3-6 months out of the year and experience the culture, see the sights (not touristy), and just enjoy not getting up every day because I have to.

I'll also be focusing on side incomes in 2019. I'm so disappointed with my 401k. Especially when October hit, even though I know October traditionally is a bad month for the stock market. My plan is to continue saving until the next recession hits when hopefully I can stock up on some properties. I have a lot of plans and due to chronic exhaustion this past year, I haven't accomplished much of anything. Luckily, I'm on the mend. The exercise and changing some eating habits (from the past few years) has helped immensely. For the last couple of weeks, I have made sure to have homemade meals for both of us and extra in the freezer for the nights when both us are too tired of we are coming home late from work.

I have other ideas, too, about maybe moving somewhere cheaper. The state of Illinois and the city of Chicago just keep increasing taxes and I don't feel like there is much we are getting out of it. Plus, it's crowded. I'm thinking Indiana because that still allows one to work downtown. I'll explore that in 2019, too.

I'm throwing this all out here because I am so disappointed with myself for not sticking with my goals. I guess the good thing is that I am committed now more than ever.

fell-like-rain

Post by fell-like-rain »

My two cents: whenever I don't do something I told myself I would, I remind myself that my brain is just a thin layer of rationality floating on top of a lake of heuristics and Pavlovian responses. So it's not that you didn't have the right resolve or willpower (which makes it seem like a moral failure), it's that you didn't put the right system in place to shepherd your hindbrain along the path you wanted.

Also, the average U.S. savings rate was something like 6.5% this year. So you can always remind yourself that although you saved a third of what you wanted to, you saved triple what a 'normal' person would. Logarithmically, you're halfway there!

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

Thank you for the comment fell-like-rain. :)

You are correct. I had no plan. Just some ideas. I had spent the last week or so coming up with how will I make this happen in 2019. I know where I want things to go, so I'll be putting most of them on automatic so I simply don't have it in the account to spend. I'll get used to it this way. If I can't see; technically I don't have it.

I also got some investing help from someone who knows what he is doing so I can now understand the charts, numbers, etc., etc. I feel much more informed that I did prior.

Mae

Post by Mae »

With regards to eating out, we plan our meals weekly (and - most of the time - buy all of the products we need in one go) and we meal prep. I just saved a bunch of recipes of meals that I can quickly make and that can be made in bulk. I choose from those recipes. I eat the same breakfast every day. Mostly the same lunch and am experimenting with meal salads for dinner on days that I work late. Most prepped in advance.

It saves you so much time - time that you can spend on figuring out how to save more money, etc. (Not to mention money and impulse-buying unhealthy food.)

Good luck, OP!

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

Long time, no post. A lot has happened recently.

I’m so glad though I started implementing a lot of the ERE principles in my life. It’s allowed me to walk away from a job which was causing me major stress and unhappiness. I have never in my life left a job without having a new one. But that’s what ERE is for, right? You get burnt out and you can live and take time out for yourself without the immediate need for a J-O-B. I’m searching for a new position now, but I’m going to be a lot more cautious than just jumping into it because the salary looks good.

I’m highly considering getting rid of my car. I still owe $ on it. While I can pay, I don’t know if I want to. I like the convenience of being able to go somewhere when I want to. What I don’t like is the hassle of trying to find parking on the street outside my home, maintenance costs (ongoing and also people hitting it on the street, etc.), and the taxes I pay (city/state sticker) and the costs of insurance. I am averaging about 5,000 miles on it per year. Right now, it’s two years since I bought it and it has 5,700 miles on it. I can sell it for pretty close to what the loan is on it. The only thing that is really making me think to keep it is when the weather gets very cold and I’ll need it (think I need it?) and my husband may need it for a job in the suburbs (but that is a big if). Perhaps when the time came for that, we could purchase a good used car for cash.

When I first knew I was/had to leave this job, I started looking at all the things I needed to cancel. (I don’t need any unnecessary bills). While I thought I had been doing a good job of saving $, I realized I was only fooling myself. Book and dog toy subscriptions, unnecessary clothes, etc. I realized that having stuff is stressful. Someone recently told me I was ridiculous to think this way, but am I? I have to find $ to pay for it. I have to store it. I have to donate it or get rid of it when I no longer want it or find it useful. Without stuff, it seems life would have more freedom from the care of it.

I’ll be done with my current job at the end of this month. Some things I’ve started doing:
• Getting books at the library
• Cooking
• Cleaning (I had no energy for this during the last few years, and I have always been a neat freak.)
• Watching free videos online for specific topics like enhancing my LinkedIn profile and doing repairs around the house
• Getting back into hobbies I used to have
• Weightlifting and walking

This whole thing has made me realize more than ever that ERE is what I need in my life. My plan is to temp until I find the right job for me, living off as little as possible, and then continue saving until I can get a few rental properties.

Well, that’s all for now…