cmonkey's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
cmonkey

Re: cmonkey's journal

Post by cmonkey »

@halfmoon, Because of the tax information packet I received from them. I attempted to read through it, but gave up in exhaustion. Not simple enough!

With an HSA, its all tax free so no need to worry about messing around with any of it. I might just avoid them all together since REITs offer better return anyway (in general).

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

cmonkey wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:00 am
With an HSA, its all tax free so no need to worry about messing around with any of it.
But not necessarily, as the article points out. I've never messed with MLPs because of the K-1 annoyance, but I didn't realize until reading about the UBTI trap that you could end up with a tax bill despite holding them in a tax-deferred account.

I agree about REITs, though I try to underweight in them because we already have too much in actual real estate due to property hoarding. :cry:

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Interesting. HSAs are essentially black boxes to the IRS, all they see is one number - contributions. They don't know what the holdings are. You could turn it into a trading account and keep all the gains tax free.

Perhaps it would be a flag to get audited if your UBTI was really high, yet you didn't have any MLPs in your taxable accounts. All the more reason to just keep it simple!

Perhaps GTOO knows more.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

cmonkey wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:14 am
Interesting. HSAs are essentially black boxes to the IRS, all they see is one number - contributions. They don't know what the holdings are. You could turn it into a trading account and keep all the gains tax free.
I don't think this is correct. The HSA trustee issues a 5498 to the IRS and a copy to you showing the FMV, just as with an IRA. As with an IRA, no detail on holdings is reported. However, If you have MLPs in your IRA:
The Schedule K-1 you get from the MLP will include any UBTI figure. If the total exceeds $1,000 from all your MLP investments in your IRA, then a special tax form, Form 990-T, must be completed and sent to your IRA custodian for filing. You'll end up having to pay tax on the UBTI, even though you own the investment in a retirement account.
I'm guessing this would be the same for an HSA. Probably not that common, but it would be a shock.

Lots of abbreviations here. Sorry.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

halfmoon wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:25 am
I don't think this is correct. The HSA trustee issues a 5498 to the IRS and a copy to you showing the FMV, just as with an IRA. As with an IRA, no detail on holdings is reported.

Then it's probably the same with an HSA. All that UBTI mumbo jumbo. Give me straight up tax free dividends all the way up to 75K annually any day compared to that. Thanks for confirming that I should just dump them all. :lol: ;)

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I don't know about HSAs, but UBTI can be a concern with IRA/Roth accounts. In practice, it rarely happens unless you've got way more in the IRA/Roth than ERE folks typically have, like if you rolled over some retirement plan to an IRA.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

So I guess I'm due a photo update. It's been a long time since I showed a good looking garden. We've been practically living outside each night now that the weather is good and usually don't come in until it gets dark.

I finally made a proper compost pile. I'm going to flip it once more and then put it down as a mulch. I think it'll cover around 100-150 sq feet at a good 4-6 inches thick. I've also started another compost pile. But I need to build more bays! I'm starting to generate a lot of organic waste. I'm bagging all my grass clippings and putting them in the compost (or in the chicken run when the dandelions seeded). The chicken run bedding is going to get composted soon as well, its got about 2 years worth of shit, leaves and grass in there.

We've also been collecting/identifying free local organic waste. So far we've collected about 20 lbs of coffee grounds from Starbucks and have found a source of free horse manure about 2 miles south of us. On top of all the wood chips!

I've started mulching with all the leaf mould I made. It's not quite broken down which makes it perfect for a mulch, which I used on the bed below. I think it looks really nice and no more weeds! I put about 6 inches down.

I've decided on a strategy with the wood chips. The paths are getting 8-12 inches put on. The beds themselves will have grass clippings/leaf mould/horse manure put down and then wood chips on top of that. I'll let it sit and rot down all year and then next spring I will rake all the wood chips that are left into the paths. This way I get the best of the mulch breaking down but don't have to plant into them.

Our hedge is growing in nicely. We put it in for a wind break and for privacy.

Also for wildlife, which is working quite well. A robin built a little nest in one of the bushes. :)

We've been splitting and moving a lot of our hostas/shade garden plants. This bed has about doubled in size this year. We have nearly 50 varieties of just hosta, not to mention all the others.

Our wildflower bed is really taking off. The weeds aren't even getting a chance to grow, there is so much phlox, daisy, bachelor button, etc...

We put a shade cloth over the chicken run to protect them from the hot sun. Prior to putting this on, they would just huddle under the little shelter I built for them. Now they stay nice and cool and so does the coop.

We are sick to death of getting maggots in our cherries and so we are actually doing something about it. Say hello to the ghost in our orchard! Supposedly this works 100% of the time if you get it on in time. I might have been too late because most of the cherries have a little puncture on them but they are still green and fruit fly don't lay in green fruit....so I'm not sure yet.

Can you see DW way up by the gardens? ;) I keep the grass long in our orchard to absorb spray from rain so we don't get fungal disease. It works well. Also it lets deep tap root plants thrive with aerates the soil and also lets plenty of beneficial insects thrive.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

May 2017

Another great month. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. ;)

We finished our bedroom in May and so bought all of our trim and a few supplies for finishing the floor.

We crossed over 10 years of saved expenses and are now sitting at 10.08 years, up from 9.81 years. We also fell under a 10% SWR. We are now sitting at 9.92%, down from 11.05%

Our TTM expenses also plunged and are now sitting at 12363, which is down over 1000.

We also continued losing market value in our dividend account. This month we lost over $1000 for the second month in a row. Hope it turns around soon, but it does provide better buying opportunities. I am using it as a lesson in STAYING BALANCED with my postions. :?

One final note - I love playing with "what if" scenarios and have played around with my projections based on my actual performance over the past 2 years. I have my 401k projections based on a 3% return in the S&P 500, which is likely conservative. If we continue with the returns we've been getting, it will likely cut another couple months off of our cross over date. With our expenses continuing to fall, the most likely date is now May 2019, which means we have less than 2 years until we are likely to cross over. Fingers crossed!

Expenses/Savings

Normal Spend - $748.36
Remodel Spend - $264.86
Total Spend - $1013.22
Total Savings - $5131.84 ; 84%

Time to Bills Only - 1 Months (-1)
Time to Bills & Food - 15 Months (-1)
Time to TTM Expenses - 30 Months (-4)
TTM Expenses - $12363.64(-1035.78)

Total FAI - $4891.56 (+251.04)

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Cherries!

Covering the tree was only a partial success. The covering blew off a couple days later and so I put it on the second tree instead because it is a little smaller. The covering helped the cherries ripen faster than the other tree. In the end we are about 80% worm free so it's much better than previous years. Last year I removed and threw in the trash every single cherry so they didn't get to over-winter.

Next year I'm getting some bulk mosquito netting and will cover the tree right at petal fall (before any fruit forms at all). I'm pretty sure the flies do lay eggs in green cherries.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Crossroads

I feel a need to write about the last day or two on my journal. Any feedback from anyone is appreciated.

I feel I've reached a crossroads with regard to my career at my current employer. For the last 2 years technical work has been slowly transitioning away from US folks and being pushed to our offshore (India) team. Basically they are "on our team" but they are contractors. They are now handling most of the execution of work as we delegate it to them (so doing software patching, moving systems around, upgrades, etc...). US personnel have been pushed into doing "project work" which comes with some of the bells and whistles of this, mostly project planning. These aren't large IT projects, but because the projects don't take much work at all, we are forced to fill in all the extra time with busywork. I have begun to hate it. :evil:

Twice this year my boss has brought up me doing a presentation in from of our department about one of my 'projects'. Yesterday I reached a tipping point when he started talking about how some of the upper-upper brass are discussing our application "up time" which is really good, and he wants me to present to them now. I keep telling him I'm uncomfortable with it but he just assures me 'I'll get more comforable as I do it more'. I don't even know what I'd be presenting about! There isn't much to tell, at least as far as I'm concerned. He is completely missing what type of personality I am.

Talking with a coworker about it, I got confirmation of what I already suspected. Technical work is going away and our organization's IT department is turning into a type of boy's club where those who display any level of ability to get things done are going to be drafted for upper ranks, even if they don't want it. Back in March/April I led a critical series of meetings and that apparently got my face out there.

3 years ago we had a contractor come work with us for 6 months. We got along really well and have kept in touch. He works for small contracting outfits ( < 10 people) and really enjoys his work. It is nearly 100% technical, no busywork or anything. The two of us have very similar personalities and so I know if he loves it, I would too, but I could never get the balls to just leave my comfortable cube for something more risky/rewarding. For the last 2 years he's been saying I could get a job with his outfit but I have been chicken about it because it is more risky working for a small company (I think). Basically, in his line of work it's a "hire within the network of friends" type thing I think.

Benefits - I would have much higher pay (likely 6 figures), full time work from home with no travel, 100% paid health insurance (I think). I also ran the numbers and we'd be FI for income in October 2018, so just over a year. We'd reach 3% WR in October 2019. So basically I'd need to make this work for 2 years, minimum.

Downsides - I think it's riskier. Less employees, potential for being bought out/sold, different type of work environment as I'm not sure what they'd expect of me. Certainly more challenging technical work, but I think I miss this and this could be a good thing. But I doubt if I can handle it sometimes.

I have been working on my resume last night and today. The friend told me to give it to him and that I'd get a call.

I haven't done it yet because I'm terrified. :(

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

Your story sounds familiar to me wrt the outsourcing and busywork.

At the very least go and talk to them. As far as I know your situation from following your journal, you are in a great position to take some risk.

I don't remember if your wife is also working, but if so, is her income enough to cover your yearly expenses? If so, there is zero risk for you to try this.

Besides, you're young! Don't be afraid to take some risk!

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

If you're certain you don't want to manage, then, yes, hand over that resume.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

I vote that you absolutely explore your options with other jobs.

I recently went through a similar situation. I felt compelled to send out some resumes.

I didn't up leaving because my current employer gave me a raise to stay. That being said, it sounds like you dislike your job a lot more than I dislike mine.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Thanks all for the input. I probably need to work on my risk aversion. This is a good way to do that. The current job is just not fulfilling anymore. I was semi-enjoying it up to April but then my other project ended and I'm having even more busywork and its just not fun. They assigned the next phase to someone else and I'm basically doing the entire thing by proxy (because he can't handle it or something).
McTrex wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:37 am
I don't remember if your wife is also working, but if so, is her income enough to cover your yearly expenses? If so, there is zero risk for you to try this.
She makes a couple thousand through her small business, so not enough to cover everything. As it is though, we have about 7 years of liquid funds and another 5 years in retirement accounts. With 2 years go until I hit 33 years saved (if I get this position), I'm going for it. Hell, in 1 year we'll be at 25x.

Like 2 years ago, I actually had another "plan" to quit this current job when I would be 1-2 years away with a new salary. Well I guess I'm here and the stars have aligned.

I sent in the resume. :) ... :shock:

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

YES!!!!
Good for you dude!

Readjusting to the new working environment will make time fly by much faster than busyworking through your existing job. What if the job is actually more fun too? You'll be making more money, having more fun and time will pass much faster. Win m'f'n win!

Of course I'm also the kind of person who craves change like a crack addict so I have no idea why anyone wouldn't jump ship as soon as a new job opportunity showed up.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

FBeyer wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:02 pm
You'll be making more money, having more fun and time will pass much faster. Win m'f'n win!
Ha! Good point. Thanks man.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

So my suspicions have been confirmed. Been informed there is a position to apply for on my current team and it's essentially guaranteed. I just need to go through the formality of an hour long interview that means nothing other than I did it.

The dumb thing is that the pay would essentially be the same (counting company match, double bonus) as going to be a contractor. So if I did this I'd basically just need to slog through 1-2 years of the same shit I'm doing now.

I'm not good at haggling and don't know what to do other than use this open position as leverage to try to get a bit higher pay with the contractor firm.

On top of that, it might take up to 2 months for a final decision with the contractors. The position here might disappear in a week if someone applies. :?

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

July Garden Photos

Making these piles is the single most important thing I do in the garden. I've made my first compost pile of the year and it's essentially ready to use. The one on the right is from last fall and is almost ready to go on the beds. I could probably cover 1-2 veg beds with it at 3-4 inches deep. The one on the left is from entirely this year. Lots of chicken bedding/shit, 3-4 mowing including one from the back-back-back yard which was left to grow for 2 months, mowed and left to dry and then collected. This gave me big heaping mounds of BROWN material which is rare in the garden. I mixed it with fresh green clippings and everything else.

I also watered it as I created it.

I'm making an effort to keep our gardens trimmed and beautiful, not just functional. To this end, over a couple weeks in June I dug out all the grass around our native hedge and mulched with 8 inches of wood chips. This hedge is composed of nearly a dozen fruiting/flowering native shrubs that are good for birds. Also entirely edible so we could make jams from the berries.

Speaking of woodchips, we are on our third delivery. :D Since each truck is about 2,200 worth, we are up to almost $8K value in free delivered arborist mulch.

This last delivery had a lot of dark wood in it so it looks a little like the fancy stuff you buy from the home stores.

Our largest flower bed. As the years go on, we are planning to get more into garden design. This is just a wildflower bed with a nectar bar in front.

Our large veg bed. We are eating about 80%+ out of the garden right now. I need to get on with succession sowing however, things like peas and kohlrabies are disappearing! We eat greens (chard and kale) with every single meal. We eat a rich man's meal for a frugal man's price.

The mulching is going extremely well. Woodchip paths with grass clippings around the plants. We used up our leaf mulch and it has largely broken down now. Compost will go on top of the grass clippings in a couple of weeks.

CS

Post by CS »

cmonkey wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:06 am
So my suspicions have been confirmed. Been informed there is a position to apply for on my current team and it's essentially guaranteed. I just need to go through the formality of an hour long interview that means nothing other than I did it.
On top of that, it might take up to 2 months for a final decision with the contractors. The position here might disappear in a week if someone applies. :?
I'd take the in house position while waiting for the contractor position to come through. It's not an "either/or" choice... you can have both.

And I bet, ala Office Space, you get even better offers due to your lack of concern. Options man, you have them.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Wow! Nice pictures.