cmonkey's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
cmonkey

Re: cmonkey's journal

Post by cmonkey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Jason wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:02 pm
I'm not familiar with gardening discussion decorum, so forgive me if I am out of line, but that is one impressive pile of shit you made for yourself there.

Nice flowers as well.
Thanks!

So an update on the job situation. I had my technical interview this morning and it went very well. Scheduled for 30 minutes we chatted for about an hour. We had a good conversation about why I'm wanting to quit and the type of work I'm looking for. My friend told me an hour after I got off the phone they are working quickly to get me an interview with the company I'd be doing work with. They also want me for their own internal work. The offer hasn't come in yet but it sounds like its coming. I was told to expect an update by EOD tomorrow.

I'm going to wait until I've sent in the offer to give my notice at my current position, but was wondering if anyone has any advice for this? Do I tell my supervisor what day will be my last? Probably need to do it in person? Do I print out a statement and hand it to him?

Just thinking/planning ahead.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:49 am

Congrats! Do it in person, but put it in writing and hand it over as you do. As for timing, don't do it until you have an offer in writing from the new gig because anything could happen. You are potentially left without a job, particularly if your current employer doesn't let you retract your notice of departure!

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:40 am

@vexed Thanks. :)

Not too much of an update yet other than I got a follow up today stating it took longer to follow up with the team. They are working on figuring out what project I'd be a good fit for. Also asked for my preferred compensation range and employment structure (i.e. tax withholding). I decided to price myself as valuable.

I've been doing my best for the last few weeks to hold off excitement when things go right, but I kinda think they wouldn't ask for this if they weren't preparing an offer.

Is it time to start getting excited yet?! :P

Allagash

Post by Allagash » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:03 am

I enjoyed binge reading through your blog, you really have you head screwed on right for a young guy! When I was that age it was still booze, women and rock & roll:) lol

It's amazing how low you keep your entertainment recreation costs. No travel, skiing, golf, concerts, restaurants, etc...

Your gas costs are very low too. Not easy to keep that below $100/mo for two people, especially with rural living. Grocery costs very low as well for two people.

Is health care paid by work? I don't see that as a line item on your monthly expense list.

Amazing you can go without a cell phone in this day and age.

What do you have total into your house purchase price + renovation? I'm curious what do you think the renovation would have cost total if you hired it all out?

A big advantage you have with housing costs over many is that you live in a low cost part of the U.S. + you have the skills to do all you renovation yourself.

I'm early retired/self employed and what really kills my monthly overhead is rent and health insurance costs. I live in a expensive part of the U.S. I also like to travel and do more recreation/entertainment that you. I need to work on solving my rent issue and getting my cell phone costs down among other things. Your story is motivating though.....you have the iron like self-discipline to live like a monk or the Amish!

Dragline

Post by Dragline » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:53 pm

cmonkey wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:40 am

I've been doing my best for the last few weeks to hold off excitement when things go right, but I kinda think they wouldn't ask for this if they weren't preparing an offer.

Is it time to start getting excited yet?! :P
Sounds like you're getting close . . . ;)

ffj

Post by ffj » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Cautiously excited for sure. It sounds like this could be great for you, or at worst mediocre, but with a two-year timeline who cares. It's great having options and having people need and want you. Good luck!