Next project: An abridged ERE book

Where are you and where are you going?
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I'll be doing an abridged version of the book coming in at about 75 pages and probably costing around 5 bucks. It's yet to be determined exactly how to shorten it (I'll be looking at reviews for clues), but the target is a mass audience.
This book will then be turned into an audio book.
* This replaces the plan of writing a dumbed down version.

Cashflow

Post by Cashflow »

For what it's worth, I've made it through the third chapter of the ERE book and I'm impressed with what I'm finding.
I started out my career in engineering, so I'm used to a certain amount of intellectual rigor in the subjects I study. When I shifted over to a business career, however, I found this kind of formal intellectual framework to be lacking, and this lack extends to books in general about building wealth. When I get past the hype, for example, I find books by Robert Allen and Robert Kiyosaki to be useful, but getting past the hype is a major challenge to studying these authors.
I would be surprised if members of the general public would enjoy a nerdy kind of approach to money-related subjects. I would think many people would prefer a how-to or "tell me what to do in X easy-to-follow steps" book to one that delves into the systems theory behind how various aspects of society work. But I also understand the logic against giving people a map with directions because these instructions are useless when the route has changed due to unforeseen circumstances. Teaching people to think and solve problems for themselves is a better way to go (when people are open to learning).
If I had read the ERE book several years ago, I would have rejected it as being too theoretical for what I needed at that time. But now that I'm at a major turning point in my life (thanks to the global debt crisis and all of the changes and opportunities this crisis will create), this student is ready and the teacher has appeared in the form of the ERE book.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

If anything I suggest it be expanded. Reducing content and thoughts would weaken the concept. I would say expand chapters one and two.

jeremymday

Post by jeremymday »

Abridged version should be marketed properly. Probably as an ebook/pdf. It could be used to build up a bigger subscriber base too. Lots of bloggers follow this approach with much success.
Maybe give away the first chapter for free in exchange for their email and addition to your subscriber list?
What are you really trying to accomplish with an abridged version?

B

Post by B »

Have you thought about a short comic book? Look at Scott McCloud's comic promoting/explaining Google Chrome: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/
Comics are eye-catching, and you get to put your visual aids and graphs on center stage.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I have thought about something akin to the RSA animations. I'd have some good ideas of what to draw and I can do the voice. I can't draw though.

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

Good stuff. I think it's a great idea.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

What am I really trying to accomplish with an abridged version?
Most hardcore ERE readers have the following in common.
1) They are of above average intelligence or higher.

2) They are mostly INTJs.

3) They are mostly intellectuals.
This is mainly my fault because likes attract likes and I suffer from the above characteristics.
In other words, they/we are a very small subgroup of humanity.
Contrast that with YMOYL, AONC, TSD, or GRS readers who may benefit from this [ERE] information but don't read it due to the way I present it.
It is the purpose of an abridged version to bridge that gap (good pun there)(double pun!)(triple pun!)(infinite puns follow by induction).

Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Why do I have a suspicion this would apeal to the Oprah crowd? If she gave away a copy to everyone in her audience.......