Myakka's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Myakka

Re: Myakka's Journal

Post by Myakka »

The wind storm that came through here a couple weeks ago did a number on my clothesline. It has lots more spots for lines than are practical to use (and I was low on twine when I started replacing them) so I have so far just replaced the ones I really use. But the experiment of living without an electric dryer is going well enough.

The same wind storm that did a number on the clothesline has knocked over the chaya (a semi-tropical/tropical plant with edible leaves). I've cut it back from over the road way and want to take care of the parts that are now over the neighbor's property. I've discovered since cutting it back that it is good bunny food -- so there will be someone actually appreciating the trimmings.

But none of these expenses compare to my husband's medical bills. (He is struggling with lyme disease -- something the government and the standard medical doctors don't acknowledge as existing. He doesn't have the stamina he used to. He works the long hours they expect of him at work and then falls asleep to the television at night.) It is looking at the moment that we will not be able to retire early because of them. Maybe there is something to be said for being less foolish with our money and me living really frugally even if my husband isn't interested in that.

I don't have an arguement for not spending money on supplements he thinks are helping him reclaim some of his health -- even though it seems out of hand to me because there are just so very many of them. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Myakka

Post by Myakka »

Things seem to be looking up at the moment. There seems to be hope that our Earthship might maybe be completed. And i talking my husband recently I learned from him that we currently have more money on hand than we owe on our one remaining loan and that we are putting about 30% of our income into a savings account now.

On a personal front, I have discovered a classical music from south India (Carnatic music) that brings my (often repressed) emotions into balance.

Myakka

Post by Myakka »

That Earthship is all but completed now and looks like it will be sold. (The dream of living there has vanished for both of us.) I keep voting for extra money to go towards paying off the line of credit still outstanding from the effort to get it closer to being completed. We will be carrying no debt whenever that happens.

I've been reading the thread about Jacob's ERE levels chart lately. I am thinking that for my husband and I that chart only possibly applies if we are thought about as a unit. He is the one with the successful career. I am the one crafting a lifestyle for us that increases our enjoyment while reducing our need to purchase things. To use items made by me for us to meet our basic needs adds something special in our lives. Is this a fair way of applying the chart??

Stasher

Post by Stasher »

I treat my wife and myself as one unit so I think that is fair to make that assumption for yourself Myakka