Liberate Minds Journal.

Where are you and where are you going?
LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

About Me:
viewtopic.php?t=3104
About my financial habits:
Saving regularly but not to the extreme. Savings rate gets reduced due to impulse decisions and obligations.I track my expenses to the penny and love to draw graphs and write few formulas based on the statistics.:-)
After started on the job, paid the education loan and have personal loan due to family commitments.Putting the average expenditure of 2011 here so that you might get an idea of my position.
Wealth Building:
I apologize if my english is not good.
Welcome your views and comments.
Goals for 2013: Thinking .. yet to finalize..

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

I am not able to edit the above post, so posting the figures instead of pics:
2011 Total Expenditure : $ 3200.
Debt:

Loans : $ 6500

CC Debt: $ 700
Savings:

Gold : $3920

Certificates:$ 3000.
Goals for 2013:
1. Save $2K ( Might be used to repay loan later)

2. Repay $3.7k in debt.
Non-Financial goal:Implement new 5 habits this year.
Jan Goal: Eating fruits only for dinner.
# Assuming an average of (1$ = 50 Rs.)

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

Jan and Feb are months of extra ordinary income and expenses.I got income from the investments and cleared some debt off. Posting the current status now:
Liabilities:
Gold Loan : Rs.10000 Interest Rate : 11%

Personal Loan : Rs.221394 Interest Rate : 15.5% EMI : 9766

Chit Fund : Rs.14500
Investments: Rs.457000.
Planning to complete the Gold loan on March.
An offer for farm land came up , if the price is right planning to buy by taking a loan.One main reason is the land rates are increasing so much around 12% per year, sometimes I wonder whether I will be able to buy , if I plan to save and buy.
If the deal didn't work,planning to take a gold loan again on may and pay off the personal loan. The benefit of gold loan is the flexibility of payment, even if I am having extra cash on hand , I can't prepay the personal loan.
Non- finance goal:

Eating fruits : Missed for 5 days in Jan. In the Feb, slipped up so much due to travelling and laziness. Planning to continue in the coming days.
Started reading YOYL, i felt much better when I realized not to have a budget but still keep tracking of the finances, which is very true for me since every month is an unusual month either in income or in expenses.So planning to track the expenses with purpose without putting any limits to the category and see how it goes.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

We might not respond a lot but that doesn't mean we aren't reading. I'd love to know your savings rate, btw--that's a major focus for most of us.

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

@ secretwealth: I am posting the income and expenditure here:
Januvary Month:
Income:

Salary: 43419.

From Seetu (50k) : 48750 (From investments , so not a regular thing)

Interest : 2250
Expenditures:

Rent : 2525

Sisters Marriage related Expenditure(Could have reduce 2000 vanity): 6624

Groceries/Internet/Cable : 1600

Books & Stationery (Weak point): 918 (YOYL + Exp. on meeting)

Fruits : 923

Traveling : 775(To Home town)+352 (Work commute)

Mobile : 333

Eating out : 282

Coffee & Snacks @ office : 160

Misc : 49
Total : 14541 ( On Credit Card: 8100)
Paying off loans & Investments:

Credit Card: 36000 ( No Big payments henceforth only have to pay usage)

Govt. Bond (Tax saver): 10000

Loan EMI : 9766

Seetu (50K) : 4800 (Withdrawn on Jan), Ending @ March.

Seetu (100K) : 9650 (Not Withdrawn), Ending @ March.
Feb Month:
Income:

Salary: 62238 ( Includes Quarterly bonus, so high pay)

Seetu (100K): 95000 (From investments , so not a regular thing)

Interest : 2250
Expenditures:

Furniture for Home : 36000

Credit Card : 8100

Living Expenses: Till now around 1500 , I don't think it will exceed 6500, have to wait and see till the month end.
Paying off loan & Investments:

Personl loan EMI: 9766

Seetu (50K) : 4870 ( Withdrawn , Ending @ March)

Seetu (100k) : 9750 ( Withdrawn , Ending @ March)

Gold Loan Payment : 100K ( Remaining 10K).
Savings Rate: ?? I don't know whether to include the loan pay offs , incomes from Investments and emis, so there it is. I am satisfied with the month turn out but rates little struck up.
If I calculate the savings rate, I dont know whether it would reflect the actual cost.Any suggestions on how to calculate??
Note: I really happy to find such close-knitted people here.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Unless the loan payments are secured by something of value, such as a house when making a mortgage payment, then they're just expenses.
Some people count the principal going into a mortgage as savings and other people don't. Everybody agrees that the interest is an expense.

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

Savings rate of Jan: 14.8%. In the CC debt , for 21400 used by family so got that money in hand.
Expenditure : (36000-21400)+14541+9766 = 38907

Income : 43419+2250 = 45669

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

Savings rate is negative -.5% . Dipped into previous months savings for furniture and prepaying the loan.
Feb Living expenditure : 6470
Net worth: 53736
March Goals:

Financial : Save 50%

Non-Financial:

* Only fruits after 5 pm till 28-March

* Get up before 7 am.

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

Goal Updates:
Goals for 2013:
1. Save 100K ( Might be used to repay loan later)

2. Repay 185k in debt. - Paid 100k till now.
Non-Financial goal:Implement new 5 habits this year.
Implemented habit:

1) Eating fruits only for dinner. I am doing this almost regulary, may be missing some 4 times a month.Don't want to be too hard and giving room for it.
Three months over in this year and only one habit implemented. So 4 to go.
March Goals:
Financial : Save 50% - Saved: 61.2% of my salary.
Non-Financial:

* Only fruits after 5 pm till 28-March

* Get up before 7 am.
April Goals:
Financial : Save 50%
Non-Financial:

Start writing journal every single day.
Failed to implement both of the non-financial goals mainly due to lack of self-discipline and no one else to blame. Most of the time when I try to do something a bit hard on myself.I keep thinking what use it will be , will it change my life drastically no anyways or why I should change first of all, I am pretty comfortable with my life style already. Some times there will be moments of conscious bursts why am I wasting away my life, why don't i do something useful, what is useful, not utilizing my full capability and settling for a mediocre life is eating me away. If its mediocre life is that i want then okay, but I want to do something else and worst part is I don't know what that something is. I feeling very depressed on how my life is going on. Anyways, I think I should have an idea of what my future should look like, without that everything seems to be useless.As of now, started journaling to keep track of my thoughts.

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

March Finance Updates:
Income:

Salary : 43307

Interest: 2593
Expenditure:
Commute to office : 332

Eating out: 362 ( 7 times ate out have to reduce that).

Coffee : 177

Snacks : 448 ( Ate too much of unhealthy snacks have to reduce)

Juice/Fruits/Nuts : 1143

Clothes/Cosmetics : 805

Mobile Recharge/Internet : 335.5

Stationery: 31

Cable : 50

Home Town Travel & Related Expenses: 1726

Groceries/Veg/other household : 873.5 ( Using up all the remaining groceries at home, will go higher next month)

Misc : 42

Personal Loan Interest: 2860

Rent : 2525
Unusual Expenses:

Hard disk purchase : 5095
Total Expenses : 16805
Savings (%) : 61.19
Investments this Month:

Paying off Seetu : 14850

Personal Loan principal payment : 6906
Calculating Savings Rate = Expenditures didn't increase net worth/ Income.

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

April Updates:

Finance:
Income:

Salary: 42793

Interest : 2582
Investments:

Seetu: 16000

RD : 1300

Loan Principal : 6996
Expenditure:

Loan Interest: 2770

Living expenses : 17435 - 3548 (on credit card)

Credit Card Balance : 8922
Unusual expenses:

Spectacles: 3000

Anniversary gift: 1600

Tickets for travelling:1600

Net Worth (Calculated everything I have ): 2,59,578

Liabilities :2,21,040
Non-Finance:

Journal Entry: Put journal entry for 15 days then left it due lack of discipline.In May month, not even started it.

Eating fruits : Followed all days when I am @ home. During travel I missed it.
Annual Goal progression:

Finance :

Repaying Debt : 1,85,000 Current progress: Paid 127,451 (68.8%)

Saving: 1,00,000 Current progress: 0 (0%)

Non-Finance:

Implement 5 new habits.

Current habits Implemented:

- Eating fruits only for dinner.

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

Thoughts:
Most of the times this month and on apirl, I make finance decisions mostly on emotional basis. I was feeling low and pondering the reasons. I am pushing myself too hard. In the past some 10 years ago :-) I was a hard worker.
In the present,assuming automatically that I can resume that position so easily overnight is a major fault. In doing so, I set high standards and fail to get there again and again.Not able to forgive myself because I could have done that if I tried.
So researching my journals on the past years and finding something really disturbing. On the way from graduate to till now, how foolishly and recklessly I have behaved that destroyed my emotional stability. ## Removed content for privacy ##
Its really difficult to forgive myself and others. I think that is holding back me a lot.What I am today, I don't like it at all. Accepting myself for who I am is really hard now.
As of now , I am accepting its a slow transition.Trying not to blame myself.Making small decisions without considering the opinion of others.The list is again too long of to dos... :-).
But going to live day by day. Making progress or not, my happiness will be first priority. Everything else is after that.
May Goals:

Finance: This is going to be a overspending month. So no goals. :-)

Journal entry : Well from 13-May habit restart. Not rigid but monitoring how am I doing.
Last edited by LiberateMind on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

llorona

Post by llorona »

You're not alone. I think most people -- at least those with insight -- look back at the things they did and wonder what they were thinking at the time. Everyone makes mistakes, too. It's part of life and learning. Don't be too hard on yourself. :)

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Reflection upon one's actions is a human condition. Other animals show compassion and occasional "I'm sorry", but only people berate themselves.
Relationships are difficult because more than one mind, more than one heart, is involved in steering the relationship. You are good for understanding yourself; not everyone can say the same!

For myself, one reason to pursue an early retirement is that it is impossible to be myself while working. Too much of my personality is stifled, suppressed by the office environment.

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

@llorona : Thanks for the support..
@ George: Sometimes I also find my values in direct conflict with that of work environment, thereby reducing the growth. Like working on weekends , I hate such things.Minimize the damage and get by.As we move closer to FI ,we can be ourselves without worrying too much of the consequences.

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

May Updates:

Finance:

Income:

Salary:59205

Reimbursement : 6250

RD: 6060

Interest :1608
Investments:

Seetu: 16400

RD : 100

Loan Principal : 7086

To dad: 69000
Expenditure:

Loan Interest: 2680

Credit card: 3548

Living expenses : 9409-2650 (on credit card)
Unusual expenses:

Expenses for family : 8220

Reduced debt to dad: 5620
Savings Rate: 63.74%
Net Worth (Calculated everything I have ): 2,06,578

Liabilities :2,52,076
FI Progress:
Number of Months saved based on

Estimated Retirement expenses: 14.05

Bare bone expenses : 50.88
Bare bone expenses contains only essentials like shelter and food alone. Its very difficult to live by that. Maintaining so that to see the possibility if some situation arises.
Goal:

FI : 150 months

Retirement : 400 months
Non-Finance:

Journal Entry: Put journal entry for 5 days.Some days it would go on pages some days just few lines.Mostly I am concentrating on how I feel rather than what I do .

Eating fruits :Didn't maintain due to relatives visit.
Annual Goal progression:

Finance :

Repaying Debt : 1,85,000 Current progress: Paid 134,537 (72.7%)

Non-Finance:

Implement 5 new habits.

Current habits restarting for full-fledged implementation:

- Eating fruits or raw foods only for dinner.

- Journal Entry.

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

Moments of May:
- Deciding just to monitor everything instead of pushing myself to do this that had a very good impact on my mind set. It occurs slowly but still a good change. I came to the decision that there is no point in achieving the goal if you are not feeling good.
- This month has been big on expenses due to family obligations. Statistically, I would be FI by now without family obligations. Morally, its a very wrong thing to do.When I started my studies, there is no education loan options in my country and my family is in a very poor financial situation. Still, my dad sent me to the college and we sold the house to pay off our debts when I was in college.Most of the debts is due to my father's side family.Now we build a home at a little town and my parents are living there. They are not yet

FI , but in a much better position than they were before.
Sometimes, giving big amounts of money to them is putting me back in schedule.Still I don't regret it. Maybe I have to put away some money for them monthly so that it will not affect my FI plans.Yet to sort out on that part.It will delay by few years so be it.
I can quit my job and do whatever i want to do now,they can support me now.They are urging me to do whatever I want. I am putting off my plans because I don't want to go for a job again for money and to reach the salary will take atleast 2 or 3 years. So lets see.
- My cousins visited during this month. We had a very good time and felt more close as the days went by.
- June is going be financially good but boring month :-). I am thinking how to make my life interesting. I like the current trend but its not like living my life fully.

LiberateMind

Re: Liberate Minds Journal.

Post by LiberateMind »

June Updates:

Finance:
Income:
Salary:45810
Interest :3000
Cash back :33

Investments:
Seetu: 17000
Loan Principal : 7177
Gold Loan Principal :7000
New account :2000

Expenditure:

Loan Interest: 2589
Credit card: 2650
Living expenses :9742 (on credit card)

Unusual expenses:
To mom :5000

Savings Rate: 62.45%

Net Worth (Calculated everything I have ): 2,68,291
Liabilities :2,38,229

FI Progress:
Estimated Retirement expenses: 13.52
Bare bone expenses : 52.78

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

July Updates:

Finance:
Income:
Salary:47005
Interest :3000

Investments:
Seetu (1L) (2Nos): 17400
Citapa-Seetu (50K): 3340
Citapa-Seetu (1L) :14000
Loan Principal : 7270

Expenditure:

Loan Interest: 2496
Living expenses :9929

Savings Rate: 62.45%

Net Worth (Calculated everything I have ): 3,09,967
Liabilities :2,40,514

FI Progress:
Estimated Retirement expenses: 15.50
Bare bone expenses : 50.04

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

Annual Goal progression:

Finance :
Repaying Debt : 1,85,000 Current progress: Paid 110,984 (59.99%)

Non-Finance:

I keep on starting and leaving the habits. So its time to accept no way I am going to implement all the 5 habits.

Still,I am in a better position than I was a year ago.Atleast better disciplined and knowing about myself more. After a long time doing a journal entry, has been very revelaing. Like bring in front of the things , which i just ignore and going through the life in a sleepy routine. So my mind is bubbling with thoughts of improvement in my lifestyle and mindset. I begin to slip away when other pressures are coming due to past commitments.I am not doing anything drasctically, just watching the difference between the reality of me and the ideal me and there is quite a lot of gap. :)

Usually, I always quote like I am doing the job thats why I am not able to do this and that. Just looked into the hard facts is that the truth. So here is what I come up with.

Criteria Days
No of days in a year 365
No. of weekend days 108
No. of Sick leave 5
No. of Annual Leave 21
No. of public holidays 10

No. of working days 221
% of working days 60.54

No. of hrs spent on work 10.5
+Travel to work

No. of hrs for sleep 8
No. of hrs on essentials 3
No. of hrs that’s mine 2.5
% of hr spent on working day 65.625

% hr spent on work 39.73

No of hrs in non working days 1872
No of hrs in working days 552.5
Total no of hrs in a year 4745

% of hrs that is mine 51.09

This had been a very revealing fact to me. So, why I am not doing things matters to me then. Because, I don't want to work to go my goal place, I just wish to go there.So, Job is definitely not an excuse. After doing this started logging my daily hours.I don't want to look into the hours still a month is over.So lets see how it goes.

Job Related:

Got a 11% hike .. Heeyyyy.. :D .. Skipped for promotion although I am more than eligible for that.. :evil: .. I think I am very bad negotiator.. Even if I put slight efforts on the job I can come up quite easily with good hike and good positions. I am restricting my growth in my job.For the past one month, I was thinking whether people take me for granted because I never ask for anything, except for a stable location. I have been doing work outside my project. Maybe thats what reflected in my hike. I think I am very underpaid when I heard about the position of the people with less knowledge than me. I have to rethink my entire career and give it a different look. I know this is not very ERE :D . I think the return on investment will be very high. So going for it.

I am identifying myself very much with my job. This spells a VERY VERY BIG problem. So have to work on that part too. This may be due to lack of interaction with the outside world other than job and family circle. I am not actively searching for friendships and opportunities. I am just accepting whatever life hands over to me.I am grateful to where I am , but stilll....

August is going to be a big month for me in case of finance, as I am planning to shuffle and pay debts to a large extent..

Thanks for reading if you made it still here.. :)