Need Your Inputs: Where to move next?

Where are you and where are you going?
ktn

Post by ktn »

OK, I am a software/IT guy with some pretty good, international experience designing and helping build the IT systems of big companies (the job is usually called an Enterprise IT Architect). I am a tad over educated with a degree in Computer Science and an MBA in Finance (employer paid most of it). After many years of living in low-salary-high-tax Finland, I am determined to put the ER plan back on track by finding a job in a high-salary-low-tax country. Because of visa and ideological reasons, I don't think USA is an option. Despite Jacob's warnings about it being terribly expensive, I have been seriously considering Switzerland because of it's highish salaries and lowish taxes (I figure I can maximize savings by going extreme on living expenses). Il-besa has suggested Netherlands and U.A.E in the past.
Any other places that you know of? I am willing to go pretty much anywhere if the savings potential is high. I am single and there ain't too much holding me back here.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Aren't you going to be limited by visa barriers pretty much anywhere outside the EU?

photoguy

Post by photoguy »

hong kong?

ktn

Post by ktn »

@jacob: Sure, visa barriers exist all over the world. But often there are ways for the persistent to overcome them.
@photoguy: thanks. yeah, taxes in Hong Kong are not bad. But I have no idea how the pay is there. If only Andorra had more jobs. ;-)
Some useful wikipedia pages for anyone planning an international ER-lifestyle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_around_the_world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_haven
These are good for general info, as a starting point. Before making a move, remember to do your homework into the effects of tax-treaties that may exist, how tax authorities in the your homeland look at citizens living in these countries, cost of living, visa issues, taxation of dividends, residency requirements, etc. etc.

Mo

Post by Mo »

I don't know if this will be helpful to you or not... I have no idea what location might offer you the best salary after taxes, but I do know that the kind of cost-of-living (COL) data you find on websites and various COL calculators may not really be all that useful.
As an example, realize that Jacob lives in California, a notoriously high COL state in the US. Yet, it seems to me that a lot of what elevates the COL in California is the cost of housing, taxes, dining, and gasoline. So, if you can find a way to reduce the impact of those concerns (live in an RV, have little taxable income, don't eat out, and don't drive), your individual COL may not be so bad, in absolute terms. Perhaps Jacob pays 10% more for his beans than I do, but in absolute terms, this may be only a few dollars a month.
The point is, don't rely solely on a COL factor given by a website, because it may not be accurate for you. Try to figure out what your individual COL will be. What would you actually pay for a small place near your work and grocer, etc...? I have a cousin in Zurich, and his major COL variable seems to be food, specifically eating out and meat. His rent is subsidized by his job, and he gets a rail pass from his employer too, so even though the COL factor for Zurich is much higher than his home (Columbus, Ohio), his actual monthly COL isn't.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I agree with Mo. Never move anywhere based off calculators. A friend of mine moved to West Virginia a few years back. The cost of a regular home was way above the calculator. On the other hand, he was not a saver and probably did not look into the cheapest ways to live either.
I would recommend seeing what is actually available online before moving anywhere.