My_Brain_Gets_Itchy's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

#048 10/26/2013 ERE Puberty

Post by My_Brain_Gets_Itchy »

#048 10/26/2013 ERE Puberty

I am applying for a patent with the Early Retirement Community to describe the period between FI and the plug pull of retirement as ERE Puberty.

Male Symptoms of Puberty according to mrclay10sci2: (I don't know who he is but he sounds like a smart guy)

-Voice range deepens
-Facial hair
-Armpit hair
-Hormone levels change
-Penis grows
-Muscles
-Pubic hair
-Pimples/acne
-Wet dreams
-Mixed up feelings and mood changes

So let's see how this applies to ERE Puberty:

Voice range deepens- Metaphorically Yes
Facial hair- x
Armmpit hair - x
Hormone levels change - Metaphorically Yes
Pimples / acne - Metaphorically Yes.
Penis grows - Hmm..
Muscles - Metaphorically Yes.
Pubic hair - x
Wet dreams - Yes
Mixed up feelings and mood changes - Yes

6.5 out of 10 ain't bad.

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

#049 11/03/2013 Monkey Mind Gone Wild

#049 11/03/2013 Monkey Mind Gone Wild

Part of the danger I found in living a quieter, slower, less distracted life, is that it becomes much easier to think TOO much, as you allow your brain to have a louder voice in your life. Most of the time its just you and your brain hanging out.

It becomes easier to feed the monkey mind. I suppose this may be why there is a stereotype of loners or hermits being 'crazy'.

In a distracted stimulus laden environment (social events/media, TV, movies, etc) there isn't a whole lot of thinking going on. It's really just jumping from one distraction to another. This is notable for example when you have dinner with a friend, and all they do is stare at their phone every few minutes.

I have come to the conclusion that thinking too much lies on the opposite spectrum of partying too much. Where partying too much overstimulates and overloads the external, thinking too much overstimulates and overloads the internal. A dysfunction that introverts can be prone to.

Thinking is healthy and so is having fun. But TOO much of either, (at least for me), is not.

My trip to Vietnam of which I depart this week, could not have come at a better time. As I am entering into month 8 of being FI and a little over two years from pulling the plug from full time work, I have been thinking too much.

October was an incredibly manic month for me. A whole lot of things came together some of which I will not mention as it's a little personal. But largely, in thinking about the mountains and the planning/testing my future, I whipped myself into an overstimulated thinking state of excitement. A thinking high?

Regardless, it's was too much.

Vietnam

What I love about travel is that I very easily become present.

I don't think. I live without effort in the now. I am conscious of everything around me. Being present/living in the now ofcourse being central tenants of meditation, is why I see travel as so meditative for me.

Vietnam will be my second test of the nomad life that I wish to live when I retire.

Last year was Kathmandu. I am taking the lessons learned from that trip to refine this years trip to better shape the environment I want. To create the life I want.

Largely, I learned that despite packing no check in and just a midsize pack and messenger bag, I overpacked and I can do with less. This time around I am bringing even less than I brought to Kathmandu. I did a test pack yesterday, and my total baggage weighed in at 14 lbs. I am not sure how much my baggage weighed for Kathmandu, but I know it was more than that.

I also made some BIFL investments on multi-functional quick dry breathable clothing. It took me forever to finally learn not to pack my favourite Diesel jeans. Jeans are too heavy, hot and take forever to wash/dry. They are not very functional and the only function they serve is to make you think you look cool and hip. Remnants of my past ;p

New for this trip will be my first ever homestay via AirBnb. It's amazing how something like AirBnb wasn't possible only a few years ago. The family I will be staying with got very good reviews and seem to be very nice. They are located off the beaten path. I am really looking forward to this and I hope that I enjoy this as much as I think I will.

Also new for this trip will be the formal implementation of some of my self defined rules constructed not only from last year but previous travels.

Plugging Out

Part of those rules of course include plugging out of the internet. I will be plugged out for pretty much the entire month of November.

I will miss the current round of Book Club (which is okay since I still haven't found the book!), but I hope to be back for the next one.

I do plan on journaling and writing but not online. I hope I can find the balance to write for myself in a way that probes my unconscious mind the same way writing online does. So far I've only been able to do this if I know that the writing will live and breathe truly outside of me. I've concluded so far that this is the friction required for me to write meaningfully.

C40

Re: My_Brain_Gets_Itchy's Journal

Post by C40 »

Have fun! I'd like to go to Vietnam some day so I'll be interested in hearing about it from you.

rube

Post by rube »

I am very interested to hear how 1 month without internet goes. Kind of jealous on that.
Have fun in Vietnam!

wizards

Post by wizards »

Enjoy Vietnam - looking forward to read about your experience when you get back.

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

#050 11/08/2013 Timing is Everything: Trip Cancelled..:(

It was a really interesting exercise in thought last night.

Needless to say there was a huge range of emotions.

Despite looking forward to this since last year, and the trip being booked three months ago, I was really going back and forth between my ambition and prudence. There was a lot of pacing back and forth last night.

But a couple hours before my flight last night, I cancelled my trip because of this:

Super Typhoon Haiyan, one of strongest storms ever, hits central Philippines
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/07/world/asi ... on-haiyan/

Typhoon Haiyan to hit Vietnam on Sunday
http://www.trust.org/item/2013110800570 ... hpbreaking

Vietnam bracing for most powerful storm in 10 years
http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/14914/vie ... n-10-years

I like the challenge of voluntary discomfort and making myself more 'anti-fragile' but after we experienced a flash flood in Toronto this past year and reading that Vietnam is already flooding when the storm doesn't even hit till Sunday (I would have arrived Saturday), I decided against it. When a good portion of infrastructure (roads, power, water, food) is inaccessible or extremely limited, its a nice SHTF exercise, and I'm sure I would have learned a lot, lol, but not exactly the meditative experience I was looking for.

So far, Money wise, I am only out $150 for a flight cancellation fee, but may be out more if one of the hostels follows through on their policy of charging 100% of cost if cancelled 30 days or less:(. Oh I'm also out some small deposits on hostels as well. My AirBnB was 100% refundable.

I have all the insurance coverages (cancellation, interruption,etc), however they said that they only reimburse if there is a government issues travel advisory which at this time there is not since I cancelled before the storm took the brunt. But I thought of the alternatives of losing $150+ and not going versus going vs spending $2000+ to play SHTF survivor.

My vacation days will be reschedulable. So really the huge deficit is just the experience I was looking for and not being there. My Monkey mind still needs mending as well.

Because I have another trip planned in January and also time/money allocated next year for a more ambitious adventure, I am not sure when I will reschedule Vietnam but hoping I may be able to do it as well (for 2014). I am writing this now to hold myself to make this happen again in the future.

To all those who have reached out to Penpal I hope to catchup with you this weekend as my plugout is no more.

rube

Post by rube »

Sorry to hear that MBGI, but completely understandable. Hope you will reschedule soon.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

That's too bad, but I think you made the right decision.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'm watching the coverage of that storm. You made a good call. I think it would have been a bit more 'friction' than you were hoping for.

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

Thanks @rube, @dragline, and @jennypenny.

I'm very fortunate that I even had a choice in this regard and my first world problems of a cancelled trip are miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

Thoughts and prayers to the people of the Philippines. Hopefully Vietnam and China will be spared.

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

I think you made the right decision. It's a real bummer, but hey, as you point out, it's a miniscule inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

#051 11/17/2013 Staring outside the coffee shop window.

#051 11/17/2013 Staring outside the coffee shop window..

On this weekend morning, like every other past weekend morning, I went to my local coffee shop.

I sat down in my favourite spot by the window. A place where I watch the world go by like the front row seat in a theatre.

As an introvert and a connoisseur of solitude, this is my big budget movie. My entertainment for the next couple of hours for the cost of a few meager dollars.

I have an inner contentment with this retreat to the coffee shop. I smile to myself. A rare outward display of emotion from my stoic self.

I feel like I have gamed the system of life. I found a glitch. One shouldn't be taking so much pleasure in so little. But I do. It's the glitch of less is more. I have been doing this the last three years and can do it for the next 25.

I settle down in my seat, pull out a book, hot coffee in hand.

And the movie begins.

Where will my mind, my inner world, take me today?

As I begin to get cozy in the confines of my head, a man sits next to me.

He is quite older. What hair he does have left is grey. He is of different nationality. He is somewhat disheveled and overweight. Some of his teeth are missing and the ones that are not are crooked.

He seems senile and he looks a little crazy.

Before I can begin to register what is going on, my brain tells me I am looking in a mirror. What the heck is going on? What kind of fun house mirror is this?

He is not me, and I am not him!

I am in shape! I have my hair! I have all my teeth and they are straight! I certainly am not senile!

Despite these defense mechanisms, the mirror still reflects back. I cannot help but relate to this man.

Why?!

This movie is quickly becoming a horror.

It is the smile.

This man who sits next to me, with a smile on his face, in his own world, is entirely too content.

He stares out the window in his own world, like me. And through that smile, it appears that he is talking to himself.

He has done this before.

He has gamed the system and found the glitch way before I have. And he has mastered it. His smile is bigger and broader than mine.

He is me in 25 years with the accumulation and mastery of experience.

I walk home, stunned and disoriented. I want a refund for my movie.

Next week....NEXT WEEK...

The movie better not be a sequel..

m741

Post by m741 »

Discretion is the better part of valor. Good call on Vietnam.

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Wow, MBGI, this post was a pleasure to read. Surely you have some sort of writing gig planned in the future? If I could write like that I would totally start pumping out short stories and whatnot. I could probably generate similar material, but it would take several more units of time. Keep these pieces coming!

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

#052 12/23/2013 20/50/50 Trade-Off Revisted: The PVO

#052 12/23/2013 20/50/50 Trade-Off Revisted: The PVO

Apologies for being away from my journal and out of touch.

My seasonal energy and mood in the winter is a classic hibernation mindset. Much more so this winter than most, because of my cancelled trip.

It's been reclusive and internal. Nothing on the exterior stimulates me at the moment. I've been trying really hard not to fight or deny these energies by seeking stimulation, but rather accept them for what they are:

Very anti-social and low stimulation. Recessive rather than expansive.

I've been capitalizing on this by doing the things in my life that have a difficult time competing with the highly stimulative and external things in my life that occur in the summer.

So, I built shelving and reorganized my small 3.5 foot by 7 foot storage locker, something that I have been meaning to do for the longest time, but always lost out to the more sexier to-do list things.

The storage locker previous to the reorg would take about 15 minutes, and heavy lifting and shifting of unorganized things, to pull out the thing I was looking for. Now, it takes just a few minutes to find something I need, and no heavy lifting.

The inner geek in me screams with joy at the added efficiency and multiplied effects of time added in my life in the future. :ugeek:

This small 3.5by7 foot storage can now fit all my personal effects, should I choose to vacate my <300 sq foot co-op as furnished, if I travel.

Even though my retirement plans have a budget for travel accommodation and expenses, I have been toying with the idea of apartment swapping. This would give me the freedom to expand my travel options and experiences. Random get aways, for a weekend, a week or a month, with even less overhead or planning. Just expanding my options and choices, even if not exercised, feels like an expansion of freedom. My possessions for the most part, are minimal and nothing I really value if they were to be gone.

Only in the winter, do these energies arise.

What has jolted me into writing a new journal entry is resolution today of something I wrote about over half a year ago, the 20/50/50 trade off.

Purchase Vacation Option

Today my request for a Purchase Vacation Option was processed. Here are the details.

As outlined in my previous post, my original thought was to request to work 4 days a week instead of 5 in 2014. This would reduce my work and pay 20%, but increase the amount of days NOT working a week by 50%, and would tip the balance of NOT working to ~ 50% for the annual year (183-182).

After thinking about this, researching, and dialoging with my boss over the past 6 months, I have opted for something that my company already offers, which is called "Purchase Vacation Option".

The Purchase vacation option allows an employee to "buy" up to your regularly allowed vacation days.

I get 21 vacation days, so I am allowed to buy up to 20 more.
With the PVO, I get a total of 41 days, or 8 weeks.

Add in 11 statuatory holidays, and the compromise of numbers would look like this:

156 days NOT working a year (43%)
209 day working a year (57%)

Or 7% off the 20/50/50 plan.

I chose to go the route of the PVO rather than the 20/50/50 for five main reasons:

1. Work process and procedure: The PVO is already a formal established procedure/form in place for employees. There is no red tape, it's a cookie cutter type thing for HR. The 20/50/50 tradeoff would have been about creating another exception case.

2. It's enough for the time being: 41 holidays, or 8 weeks is more than enough time i need at the momment to exercise the things that I want to do, to test out my early retirement. I was a contractor/consultant for over 10 years previous to my current fulltime job, but even then, I never went a few weeks without a gig. I've been a cubicle drone for 15 years, and during that time never had more than 4 weeks of vacation, so all things being relative, 8 weeks is like the ocean.

3. Original plan stays in tact: I still plan on pulling the plug at the end of 2015, but now, I will being doing the PVO, or 8 weeks of holidays for the next two years, subject to more tweaking or revisions. When I had first started, my plan was to retire end of 2016 without any time off from now till then. So I am grateful that the plan keeps on giving me more than I orginally intended.

4. I generally like my job: I've never mentioned this before, as I've only complained about the drudgery of being a cubicle drone. But for the most part, dare I say, I somewhat like my job. I have a great boss, benefits and working conditions. Politics are at a minimal. I stopped the promotion ladder before I got beyond my skill set/compotency or what I liked doing (translation, I am overqualified for my position). I recently finished reading Gladwell's David and Goliath, and I'd have to say that my position does feel like being somewhat of a big fish in a small pond. I have much more gratitude in my lot in life than I did before, and I realize how fortunate I am and the abundance of riches I have. I make a six figure salary and with passive income that keeps growing. I am grateful for my lot in life, but more money doesn't give me more happiness. Having said all this, and having this awareness, it does not deter me to want to quit and retire. What I realize now more than ever is that any job where the purpose is to benefit some large corporation in the name of capitalistic profit, will never be satisfying for me, no matter what skills or learning I achieve. I'd much rather have greater purpose and meaning in work, something I believe in and something that makes a difference, even in that means working for free/volunteering. I hope to expand on this in the future.

5. It's another first step: It's difficult to walk away from money. It's even more difficult to walk away from money that doesn't require 'a lot' of effort. I know I sound incredibly spoiled, but my job isn't very difficult, or too stressful.

Walking away and knowing when enough is enough in terms of money is a lesson I am learning. More money, is not my purpose. What I want to do, and what I want in life, doesn't require crazy amounts of funds, just crazy amounts of time.

On a side note, another lesson I am learning is the dis-incentive of earning more and getting taxed more for it. The last few years of the retirement plan before you pull the plug are not tax advantageous. The combination of passive and earned income especially when your investments are are in real estate rather than a dividend portfolio makes it very difficult to avoid obscene taxes.

If I don't write again for some time ( who knows!;) ), I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

rube

Post by rube »

Hi MBGI, thanks for the update. The PVO sounds like a great idea, well done.
Don't let us wait that long for the next next update!

leeholsen

Post by leeholsen »

i think a lot of people would second your #4.

we may make good money or have a job that may be comfortable(my word) but come to the realization we're not going to contribute enough to affect change in a company, product or customers and would like to do something more satisfying even for free.

the good news is by going ere, you've got a chance to do that. most people never escape the costs of having more stuff than they need and get too old before they can do that.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

I always like reading your journal and how you dissect your options.

Working less is the best move I have made!

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Good to hear from you again MBGI!

"what I want in life, doesn't require crazy amounts of funds, just crazy amounts of time." Very well said. The thing that's gonna make it easier to walk away from money for me is the fact that my dividend income will keep increasing on its own at a rate of at least 8% each year. We will start with a low income, but it will steadily increase as the years go by. A year of working will translate to two or three years of organic dividend income growth, so I staying in the cubicle for another year will not be worth it.

Merry Christmas to you! I look forward to future journal entries.

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

@rube: Thanks rube! Hope you had an awesome time in Toronto, sounds like the meetup was a great time. Hope to catch you the next time around.

@leeholsen: yes, would definitely agree.

@sshawnn: Thanks for keeping in touch @sshawn. Great to hear your PT is going well and good on you for making/creating that decision. Sounds like your life is more balanced even more than it was before.

@spoonman: Thanks @spoonman! It's great to hear your encouragement and positivity. Think about where we both were a year ago, doesn't it seem like a lifetime? Anyhow, it's great to hear you kicking butt (ie. your div portfolio and your downsize move) on your march to retirement and travel.