YoungAndWise's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

So I finally broke in and got a journal. This well be my narrative journey through ERE, as an oddball millennial. Obviously this won't be a complete narrative since...well...I've been here two and a half years and I just now bothered to now actually make a journal.
But enough of me talking let's talk about money.
As of now my financial situation really means jackshit (I can curse on this form correct?) since I'm a dependent and all without a job. However a couple positive points.
Positiveness

------------------------------------

-More than likely have about half of college classes done. (53 out of one hundred andtwenty to be exact) So that means less time in college (theoretically anyways)means less money wasted! YEAH!

-Possibly have my Pharmacy Tech. cert. done next semester. For free. Awesome imo. Means I can work a job that doesn't pay minimum wage during college and during the summer as well.

-Start my fiction blog about a week ago and have 61 views without any real advertising. (Nothing financially important; just a ego/confidence booster ;) )
Now negativity thingies.
Negativeness

-Still have two years of college left if I take 15 hrs. per regular semester.

-Still don't know what I want to do with my life.

-I am an INTP-Passions for specific subjects are fleeting like a leaf in the wind (except for writing. That is a rock. A reallly frickin' big rock)

-Running out of material for my fiction blog.
Now enough negativity. To the projects.
Projects:

#1 Non-fiction blog:

So here is attempt at a doing a nonfiction blog. The general idea started as finance blog for millennials but now? It is a different idea. What it is exactly? I have no idea. And that sucks.

#2 Fiction Book 1:

You know that fiction blog I talked about earlier? Yeah I'm thinking about turning it into a small book. (About 15k words) I actually might complete this one.

#3 College Classes:

Yeah the college classes I take during my senior year. Kind of sucks but whatever. At least they are free and transfer to the college I'm going to.
Also I might as well give some "About Me" information:

Aspiration: Ultimately get out of the rat race by 27 and become a writer/digital nomad.

Plan: Graduate college without debt, get a "normal" job that pays decently, do side gigs, save at least 50% of "normal" job income, and invest in a healthy diverse amount low-risk assets.

Marlene

Post by Marlene »

Welcome to this forum - maybe even as dependent you have incoming and outgoing money? Maybe you could give us a glance into that or what kind of categories you spend money on? The blog must be costing hosting money, yes?
And - this article of study hacks might be of interest for fleeting passions.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

Just because you're a dependent and have low earning power for now doesn't mean you shouldn't start saving. You're young, so compound interest works in your favor. You should start saving $100/mo. if you can and investing it--putting so little in an investment account in stocks or bonds may be difficult, but there's got to be a way to do it.

TheWanderingScholar

@Marlene-Incoming money is zero. Outgoing money is zero. The only real expenses' I have is the occasional paying one or two dollars for lunch at high school. The blog is hosted by blogger and cost zero dollars to host.

But thanks for the article and advice. Fellow journeyman/woman.
@secretwealth-I've decided my high school graduation gift would be a couple bonds or stocks.
I doubt I can save the $100 dollars as getting a job that fits with school schedule is difficult. However I can try I guess.

Chad

Post by Chad »

While, compounding interest is nice, I don't think it would make up for the time you would waste in the future by dropping those college courses now, which seems like what you would have to do to free up enough time to earn any cash. The extra time you will get in a high earing profession by shaving years off your schooling will be worth more than compounding interest on a couple thousand.
I would use whatever free time you had to write a book and get it published (either traditional or self-published on Amazon, B&N, etc.). It's what I'm doing, just too slowly.
Lots of good self-publishing info.

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

I only had summer jobs when I was your age--and even then earning $1200 was a pipe dream. Still, every little bit you can save will be so much more valuable than anything us old fogies can save.

TheWanderingScholar

True. That being said nearly everything I sell goes back to my account. So its a start.

TheWanderingScholar

Non-ERE: Got my license!
However I was wondering how would a geography major and geology minor would do. It seems like a degree I am interested in however it seems a very strange one at that.

C40

Post by C40 »

Might not be too good unless you'll be using it to find oil or something???

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

Petroleum engineering majors start at I think 180k. Not a bad choice. Maybe you'll become BP's next CEO.

C40

Post by C40 »

And then retire after 6 weeks. :-)

TheWanderingScholar

@C40: Hey yeah on the six weeks retirement. But actually cartography and people knowledgeable in GIS are high in demand from what I've heard. So could be good. Also knowledge in cultures, region, and the world in general (which geography entrails) also is useful for marketing. Combine that with a geology minor that places focus on geochemistry and energy & environment and I might have a winning combination.

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

Cartography is always in demand according to a young man I know about 10 years older than you and in the field....starting pay in Washington for the FEDs was just under 90K. Military end by the way.
Ahem!!!....."in my day"...(you may stop wretching..LOL!) my summer job in a convenience store earned me about 1200-1500 dollars probably 90% of which I saved as I used it to finance college...it just about paid all the tuition and books.
Its unconsionable IMO how the cost of education has inflated so that its almost impossible for someone to go to a place of learning without going so far into debt they will never get ahead...
Is this the New "Indenttured Servitude"???

TheWanderingScholar

If you're not savvy, hard working, don't enough scholarships, or just don't have the assets/knowledge available, then yes it can be.
However you can come out with minimal or next to no debt if you can work through it.
For example I am graduate high school with 30-53 hours of college under my belt, shaving at least a year of my college studies. Along with that a certificate in a job that pay $10 dollars minimum. You just need to go after it hard.
I should do a blog series on that.
Also that sounds kick-ass pay imo!

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

LOL!!! It sounds like great pay but remember thats working in DC. Expenses there are high enough and all the surrounding states where you might live have state income tax as well.
After Tax and SS deductions and BEFORE Retirement plan payments you "might" see 50% of that 90k....and housing is real expensive there.

TheWanderingScholar

True.
....Does Antartica need cartographers?

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

With the Ice Sheets melting....probably....
Google the International station there...Munroe Station if I recall the name right....might have a job posting board??

TheWanderingScholar

I don't see anything about an international station there.

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

Geologists can earn around 70k AUD straight out of University working for mining companies in Australia. I imagine there are similar prospects in Canada, USA and Brazil.

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

Ok...Senior Moment...McMurdo Station though there are quite a few others there...check Wikipedia.