GandK's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
GandK

Re: GandK's journal

Post by GandK »

@numbersmom

There are several sites that have a migraine index, but a lot of them track all triggers including things like foods the people in that area tend to eat. That really skewed the numbers away from what I wanted to figure out. I had to dig to find one that tracked only my particular type of migraine. Here it is: Avoiding Migraines Resulting from Changes in Barometric Pressure. That lists the number of days per year that an area reported a .20 pressure swing in either direction. As it happens, .20 is the threshold I have on the weather app on my phone that gives me an alert when BP swings occur so I can run take an Excedrin if I don't already have a migraine. That can head one off (NPI)... yes, I have an app to prevent headaches. The data that woman compiled is therefore precisely what I need, and likely useless to 99.9% of other humans. :D

States that would still be on our list if not for the migraine indicator, if anyone's curious: Montana and Wyoming.

Regarding Michigan taxes: the pension in question is small enough that it would fall beneath the taxable threshold in Michigan. I checked all tax percentages based on our specific retirement assets. In a whole lot of states, we are below the threshold for a tax on something or other, so I listed it as zero. But not everybody would be! So nobody should use our numbers as their own.

Regarding weather, we're flexible. We like all four seasons. Regarding walkability, that's impossible to quantify at the state level. We will be evaluating that one community at a time.

GandK

Post by GandK »

IlliniDave wrote:I'm starting to look at Wisconsin as an option, as it is only about 15 miles from my parent's home to the Wisconsin border. They've got their struggles too, but at least they seem to be making an attempt to address things. Illinois's problem is they've got a huge liberal mass in Cook county and immediately surrounding areas that essentially controls the state politically, and that bunch seems to have no intent on being rational.
I'd say you're right. Wisconsin's sales, income and property taxes are all on the high side, but their debt percentage is one of the lowest in the country. They seem to have rolled up their sleeves. I would certainly move there before I'd move to Illinois.

I love Wisconsin. It's green and clean and gorgeous, and I love how even the small towns there have bike trails all over them (at least on the eastern side of the state; I'm unfamiliar with the western side).

GandK

Post by GandK »

Finding a retirement location, Part 2 of X

In Part 1, I made a list of states that were possible candidates for retirement. In a nutshell, after defining our desired retirement community criteria, we had narrowed our search down to 13 states. This time I started with a list of hundreds of communities in those 13 states, pulled from online demographic data. My focus was on four things:

1. Community size. Our ideal is a small town, either in a wooded or beach area, that's within 45 minutes of a city. (G loves beaches, and we both love the Blue Ridge and Smoky mountains.) We're also considering towns of 200k or less that "feel like a small town" or are the main hub for a lot of other small towns in the area. I threw out most of the communities on my list during this pass. A lot of "towns" that had the right population on paper ended up being suburbs of big cities, were way too remote, or were in some other way not suitable.
2. Walkability. This is usually a neighborhood-specific thing rather than a city-specific thing, so although I began with the Walkscore web site, I also researched communities in the surrounding areas. And several more places were given the boot.
3. Churches. We attend a particular type of church and want to continue doing so. We threw out communities that did not have a church of our variety either in that community or within a reasonable driving distance.
4. Fracking (aka "whether you actually own the land beneath you, whether it's growing more unstable by the hour, and whether your water supply is being poisoned in addition to all of this"). I removed communities whose land is directly over a fracking initiative. With two states in particular, Colorado and North Carolina, new fracking has recently been permitted beneath communities that we are otherwise very interested in. Which sucks. We have zero desire to end up in Oklahoma's predicament, though, so... no. If you're curious about regional energy/drilling data, here's a good resource.

After those four culls, I was left with a list of only 25 towns in 8 states. In the order that they currently interest us:

In case anyone's curious, Florida's towns are all at the top because of the lack of a state income tax and the fact that our three remaining parents live there.

We don't in any way consider this list exhaustive. It's a starting point for our explorations. As we're visiting these places, we expect to find other interesting places nearby or along the way. Also, some of these communities are less than ideal to us in some ways but stellar in others, so we left them in the mix even though we have concerns.

During my next phase I plan to look at local crime statistics, city-level cost of living and taxes, and condo availability/living, since we love living in our condo and plan to be on the road in a camper for long stretches. I also want to dig deeper into each area's Walkscores and the town-level migraine indices.

Also, wanted to pass this on: the best resource I've found so far for researching potential places to live is the City-Data website. They had lots of first-hand, no-BS information on every location I was interested in. I was also very impressed when I stumbled upon this guy's potential hometown analysis. He looks like he'd fit right in around here.

m741

Post by m741 »

I really like the analysis you're doing. It's a very methodical way to find suitable cities... I hadn't thought to account for a lot of the variables you're looking at.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

That's an impressive amount of work in that spreadsheet! My own selections are far more irrational. I'm being a toddler about it--what I want is what I want and I'm not letting the facts get in the way!

I spent a number of years in the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee (which includes Kingsport). I actually liked Johnson City the best of the three cities, but that opinion was formed when I was young and single. You are somewhat far away from any major metro areas (which to me is a plus), closest proper city being Knoxville which I recall being about a 90-minute drive. But the tri-cities taken together is a decent sized area with on the order of 250,000 people (upwards of 500,000 in the "combined statistical area" according to the census bureau, but they must be reaching pretty far) so it's not like you'll feel too isolated/remote, but you don't feel crowded because the mountains serve to spread people out. I enjoyed the weather there, you get four full seasons, and in 10+ years I got exactly one mosquito bite despite spending a lot of time fishing/in the woods. Unless it has changed some (It's been 17 years since I lived there) I don't recall it being overly walkable, but if you get in the older parts of any of the three cities there should be a certain amount of driving that can be avoided. Johnson City has a decent-sized university which might make it a little more transportation friendly. My DX is from that area, and at one time I'd have been perfectly content to retire there, probably the only area in the southeast I'd consider.

Might be worth checking out on your tour--if nothing else there's a lot of pretty country to drive through and you're near both the Smoky and Blue Ridge mountains. The road between Johnson City and Asheville NC was one of my favorites, and you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway easily from either place. here's also a lot of neat little smaller towns within the greater tri-cities area. Jonesborough is one that comes to mind, and Elizabethton.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Out of control migraines

For the last 12 years, I've occasionally had debilitating migraines. For the last 6 months, they've been increasing in frequency, and I'm now to the point that I spend about 2/3 of my waking hours experiencing some degree of pain and nausea. Unfortunately, the only drugs that remove the pain completely for me also knock me out. Not an option when staying home with kiddos, so most of the time, I have to push through it.

I've recently been advised to stop eating gluten; apparently a gluten intolerance can create the right internal conditions for a migraine to occur, and I may have developed one. I started on Friday and I'm supposed to keep off gluten for 2 weeks and see what happens. I'm seeing some welcome changes, but nothing major regarding headaches yet. I'm logging everything, and at the end of the two weeks, I'll post the final results.

This is probably bigger and scarier to me than it should be, but I've been a vegetarian for years and cutting out gluten too leaves me with like 5 possible foods (it feels that way anyhow, LOL). Anything to get rid of the headaches, though. I want my life back.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I'm really sorry to hear about your migraines. I've only had a few in my life but every time I get a headache I think about how horrible it is for folks that have to live with it all the time. My mom has lived with persistant headaches for the past 5 years or so.

I'm not sure if it works or not but feverfew is supposed to be a treatment for migraines. Its supposed to work after a long while (not instant like pills) by slowing making your blood vessels less constricted. Think a timescale of weeks/months if taken regularly.

K60

Post by K60 »

I had luck in reducing migraines many years ago by eating kelp.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

My quick take on some of the places on your list that I have spent time in:

Cookeville. Has a University - Tennessee Tech. Laid back. Easy to get to Nashville - I lived there for a short stint and didn't like it, so maybe not so much of a plus. Crossville - further east and closer to Knoxville is more known as a retirement haven, so you may want to look into that if you haven't - no University there though.

Chattanooga. Slowly morphing into the 'outskirts of Atlanta'. Has a University - UT Chattanooga. Used to be considered scruffy/industrial, has sort of reinvented itself. Lots of small communities around it that may be worth looking into - Cleveland, Soddy Daisy, Athens. Seems bigger than a lot of your list, and is poised to grow much more - the Tennessee side controls the water source for the area and despite a fight doesn't want to share with their Georgia neighbors - development follows cheap/abundant water so I don't see this changing. That's an interesting dynamic to keep an eye on. I'd suggest Knoxville as an alternative to look into, but the 'all things orange/Volunteer football vibe' can be a bit much and isn't so ever present in Chattanooga. Similar cities though.

Christianburg. Virginia Tech is right there. Bigger than it seems. Close to Roanoke. Good sense of community. Scenic. Easy access to Interstate.i like the place.

Franklin. Ritzy suburb of Nashville. Meh.

Kingsport. Tri cities area of upper east Tennessee. East Tennessee State University is in closeby Johnson City. As has been said, it may be worth looking at nearby Jonesborough.

Maryville. Small Liberal arts college there and just south of Knoxville. I hope you like High School football - that's the biggest game in town. Nice bike trail system. Easy to get to the Mountains and the Airport.

Asheville. UNC Asheville right there. Not as close to Knoxville as you indicate/Maybe 100 miles or so? Mountains. Used to be an old people city, but that has changed in the last 15 years or so as it has become more popular with younger folks.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

GandK wrote:Out of control migraines

For the last 12 years, I've occasionally had debilitating migraines. For the last 6 months, they've been increasing in frequency, and I'm now to the point that I spend about 2/3 of my waking hours experiencing some degree of pain and nausea.
You have here the headache expert. I have had headaches all my life since at least age 7 or 8. They got really bad when I was in high school-migraines. When I went to school overseas, I rarely had any headaches but once I got back to America, they came back full force. I have lots of theories about this but the main one is all of the preservatives and added sugar in what we eat. When I stick to almost no sugar and eat mainly fruits and vegetables, I'm almost 90% headache-free. This is coming from a person who every day of her life for almost 15 years took 12 Excedrin a day! Luckily, about 6 or 7 years ago, I was able to stop taking it but not before it made multiple holes in my stomach. All that is healed up now with alternative medicine. My biggest headache trigger though is chocolate. Almost guaranteed after eating it. :( I've cut out most items containing gluten too because it's better for the digestive system.

leeholsen

Post by leeholsen »

OTCW wrote:My quick take on some of the places on your list that I have spent time in:

Asheville. UNC Asheville right there. Not as close to Knoxville as you indicate/Maybe 100 miles or so? Mountains. Used to be an old people city, but that has changed in the last 15 years or so as it has become more popular with younger folks.

i would also recommend asheville(i hadnt been to anything else you listed); but not for walkability.

the house prices are reasonable to me, the town is a neat small town, the climate is great except maybe january and most importantly and this is where walkability falls out; its on the blue ridge parkway and i could easily spent the rest of my life traveling every mile of that and the surronding areas after living mostly in a suburb of a large city; but you're going to need a car to do that and a dog that likes to ride with head out the window. ;)

GandK

Post by GandK »

February 2016

Regained almost all of January's losses. Still down about $3,000. Also, we have not added anything to our stash yet this year due to a pair of cash-sucking problems in the extended family. My biggest financial win so far this year is convincing G that agreeing to host a new in-home Bible study group does not mean that we need a new 65" flat screen to show the companion video clips on. :oops:

Off gluten for 2 weeks -- results

Major:
1. My headaches are noticeably less severe, although not yet fewer in number. Conclusion: gluten is a contributing factor in some way.
2. I am waking up earlier than normal since I started this experiment, burning up. This also happens whenever I take melatonin before bed. Conclusion: gluten is also messing with my serotonin levels in some way.
3. More mental clarity generally after the first few days.

Minor:
4. Fatigue for the first four days.
5. Joint pain, ongoing.
6. Intermittent nausea, ongoing.
7. Lost 5 pounds (this could be due to the nausea).

After digging, I found that every single one of these symptoms are within the normal range for gluten withdrawal (!). At any rate, I'm going to continue the gluten-free eating through April 1st and see what else happens.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

> 5. Joint pain, ongoing.

I was feeling some of that on Monday through Thursday. First thought was I'd just overdone it in the garden, but then became sniffly. Shrugged that off as not enough sleep. Finally, today, I'm feeling more normal. I'm coming to the conclusion I fought off some low grade bug.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@K -- Are you being strict about the GF? Most people don't realize gluten is in foods like cold cuts, most cheeses, most sausages, gum and mints, some spices, and some salad dressings and vinegars. Most snacks (even raisins) have gluten except for plain potato chips and fritos. Even most whole chickens and turkeys sold in the grocery store have gluten (part of the preservative/coloring). Butterball is GF, but many others aren't. Many white wines have gluten, too. (look for "oak-free" on the label) Just FYI since you're sorta feeling better but not completely.

I don't know if this will be true for you, but I can tell when my headaches are from gluten because my ears ring. Weird, I know, but my tinnitus is almost gone since I went GF.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

If kelp worked, is it the minerals? $30 worth of pills should cover the top 10. Or $30 of kelp. ;)

daylen

Post by daylen »

Lawrence, Kansas is a great town. I grew up and went to college here. Just the right size in my opinion. More diverse and open minded than anywhere else in Kansas. Cost of living is reasonable. About 45 minutes away from a city with one million plus population (Kansas city). The one major downside is geographical diversity, but this is a problem in most of the Midwest.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Thanks for the opinions, all. I'm looking carefully at each suggestion. :)

@jennypenny I'm watching gluten like a hawk. I'm beginning to suspect that there's another dietary culprit as well, and I pray that it isn't dairy.

Confession, unrelated to the above: I find thinking about the future to be an escape. In a bad way, I mean. It's usually easier to focus on my future plans, or even on past mistakes, than face the messes and hard decisions of life today. It's depressing when I think about how much closer I'd be to my goals if I could just get better at swallowing my emotional frogs.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

GandK wrote:@jennypenny I'm watching gluten like a hawk. I'm beginning to suspect that there's another dietary culprit as well, and I pray that it isn't dairy.
Lactose intolerance is often a problem for celiacs. As I understand it, it isn't really the lactose but the damage to the small intestine that makes lactose consumption an issue. It can take 6 months to a year for your small intestine to heal after you give up gluten, After it heals, it's usually easier to consume dairy, at least in small quantities. I can have cream in my coffee, milk in my tea, and a little cheese without a problem. I can't do yogurt or ice cream anymore.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

There's a blood test for Celiac if you really think it might be that.

One thing I've learned about dietary intolerances is that it's not just about the problem food but also the body's reaction to the irritation. Food intolerance can affect how your body absorbs nutrients and even cause certain autoimmune disorders. Trying a restrictive diet and slowly adding foods back is a way to isolate the worst culprits, but in the meantime vitamin supplements might also be helpful.

I used to get really debilitating neck pain all the time, but it has notably subsided in the last year or two. I'm not sure if it's because of the huge drop in stress levels, a pretty significant improvement in my diet, or adjustments in certain (medically controlled) hormone levels, but between those factors I feel a lot better. You might look into all three.

anomie

Post by anomie »

mxlr650 wrote:
GandK wrote:I go back and forth about getting off LinkedIn completely, but I have a handful of friends who are only on LinkedIn. I'd rather keep my ethereal connection with them than quit the web site, so I stay. Did anybody choose to get off LinkedIn when they retired?
I have considered deleting my LinkedIn account, however I am not sure what the future holds few years down the road when it comes to work. After few years the technology runway may be long enough that I might be interested to pursue another tech domain. Another reason to not delete is that it may be difficult to recreate some of the connections -- I have may be 800+ -- but then who is counting :lol:

I have same concern about LinkedIn - maybe will need it in future to help with part-time gigs.

But I am seriously considering doing a total purge of my online identities. A digital enema, ifyou will. :)

Deleting LinkedIn would be a big one for me. It has done nothing for me but provide a vanity distraction, perhaps act as a resume backup when I applied for jobs a few years back, giving employers a place to land after googling my name. Think I did add a link to my profile in resume of last job I got. Ok so LinkedIn served its purpose. My LinkeIn connections are of no consequence career-wise, so I guess I could always recreate an account if I ever needed one. recruiters are probably just doing keyword searches on accounts, so you could create a new one and seed it with the job you are looking for..

In this age of no privacy, it would be nice to stop using or delete old accounts, and start fresh.