GandK's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
GandK

Re: GandK's journal

Post by GandK »

ffj wrote:You did all of that work for just one dollar? Maybe next time just put it in between pages. :lol:
But that's a very special dollar! You know how we're supposed to "give every dollar a name?" That one's Fred. There's no retiring without Fred. ;)

Great idea with the library scavenger hunt thing. I would have been quite impressed with that. (Probably still would be.) You should put that in Zalo's thread about cheap date ideas.

Dave

Post by Dave »

I dig the book safe, I may make one myself ;) .

GandK

Post by GandK »

The Fall High

Anybody else get slightly manic in the fall? :? I don't know what else to call it. Every fall I have an emotional upswing that has nothing whatsoever to do with life events. I know it's coming but the strength of it still manages to take me by surprise. Biological compensation for the coming winter blahs, maybe? On the down side, my energy is lower. I'm sleeping about an hour more each night and I have to push myself harder to get all my steps in even though the weather is better for exercise. Basically I feel fat and happy in the fall, and if I'm not very deliberate about it, that's exactly what I will end up being.

LinkedIn

I felt a moment of completely irrational panic when I saw this in my inbox this morning: "K, you have 1 job change waiting for you on LinkedIn." :o I haven't looked yet to see what my "job change" is. When I retired I changed my job description to "Stay at Home Mom, Lover of Life" but I still get programming solicitations.

I go back and forth about getting off LinkedIn completely, but I have a handful of friends who are only on LinkedIn. I'd rather keep my ethereal connection with them than quit the web site, so I stay. Did anybody choose to get off LinkedIn when they retired?

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

GandK wrote:I go back and forth about getting off LinkedIn completely, but I have a handful of friends who are only on LinkedIn. I'd rather keep my ethereal connection with them than quit the web site, so I stay. Did anybody choose to get off LinkedIn when they retired?
I have considered deleting my LinkedIn account, however I am not sure what the future holds few years down the road when it comes to work. After few years the technology runway may be long enough that I might be interested to pursue another tech domain. Another reason to not delete is that it may be difficult to recreate some of the connections -- I have may be 800+ -- but then who is counting :lol:

Dave

Post by Dave »

I feel you regarding the fall "high". For me, it the combination of the cool weather (I have always loved cool/cold weather) and the beautiful colors that make walking around outside sheer pleasure.

GandK

Post by GandK »

October was mostly awesome

Our net worth went up 12.2% in October, which is more than our annual goal. After a sucky January-September, that was extremely welcome. It was our second biggest monthly increase on record. Woohoo!

I only had one migraine all month long, although it lasted just over 48 hours (my longest ever, by far). The headache occurred right before we got the rain from the remnants of Hurricane Patricia. No surprise there, as my main trigger is a rapid and/or major change in barometric pressure***. I have averaged one 6-hour migraine per week for several years. The addition of fish oil supplements appears to be responsible for the decrease in headache frequency. I did not start taking them for that reason... I found out after the fact, when I went looking to see if my suspicion was correct, that fish oil does indeed relieve migraines in some people because it's anti-inflammatory. After years of debilitating headaches that only respond to prescription meds like Maxalt or copious amounts of caffeine, this is a dream come true! I'll keep an eye on this to see if the benefit continues. One month could be a fluke. Fingers crossed, though...

*** If anyone else here has this specific migraine trigger: I have an amazing $5 app on my (Android) phone called eWeather HD, which I got because it lets me put a barometric pressure indicator on my status bar. The indicator turns bright red if the pressure climbs or drops rapidly. It has predicted my migraines with incredible accuracy (until now, with the fish oil). So much so that if I get up in the morning and that indicator is red, I go take Excedrin immediately whether I feel pain or not. Because it's coming. And sometimes that heads most of it off (NPI).

National Novel Writing Month begins tomorrow. I have spent the last 2 weeks having all sorts of fun hammering out a story plan. Whether I "win" or "lose," I will certainly have fun participating this year.

On the down side this month, I found out a few days ago that one of my cousins, who is 37 years old, has leukemia. :cry: I don't see him often anymore but we spent a lot of time together when we were kids, and I loved hanging out with him. My family of origin is in a sort of mild uproar over this news. We've been an incredibly healthy bunch, all things considered. But he's the baby of my generation, so now everyone in our extended family is feeling blindsided and vulnerable. Fortunately quality health care and money are not an issue. No prognosis yet, but his spirits are good. Right now we're just praying that the chemo works and that he doesn't need a bone marrow transplant.

GandK

Post by GandK »

NOVEMBER

Financial Stuff

On paper, November sucked. That's all there is to it. G's income was down 25% over last November, and we surrendered more than a third of the gains we made in October. But it was a fun month nonetheless, as you'll see below.

The Great Thanksgiving Staycation

We had 3 of our kids over the holidays... all boys, ages 17, 16 and 5.

Generally, we like to go away over Thanksgiving and stay in a cabin somewhere in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area for 5 or 6 days. It's often our most expensive trip of the year because we do some touristy things then. Originally, that was our plan this year as well.

But, either G did not look at the right time to grab the deals he's been able to grab in the past, or they didn't exist this time around. We can usually get a fully loaded 3- or 4-bedroom cabin - game room, hot tub, the works - for 5 nights for less than $500. There was nothing like that under $700 this time, and none of it was in a good location, like perched on the side of a bluff, which is half the fun of a cabin in eastern Tennessee.

The 16-year-old didn't want to leave town at all, because he wanted to work. He got a job at McDonald's this summer when he was 15, but the law in Ohio is that 15-year-olds can only work on Saturdays and Sundays, and for a maximum of 10 hours a week. He turned 16 right before the Thanksgiving holidays, so now he can work any day of the week, and up to 20 hours. He's so excited. I'm equal parts proud and amused that my son would rather work at McDonald's than go on vacation.

The 5-year-old objected, too. "I don't want to go to long places in the car." It has a game room. "MY room is a game room, Mom." True dat.

So G comes to me and says, "I found an inexpensive place in Pennsylvania, but no game room and no hot tub." So basically it has the same stuff our house has. "Yes." And after driving 8 hours, the boys will play X-Box and whine about having to take long walks, just like they would if they were at home. "Basically." Is it worth $1,200 of gas, food, entertainment and lodging to you to let them play X-Box and whine in Pennsylvania instead of Ohio? Because it isn't worth that to me. "Nope. Let's stay here, and we can give them an entertainment budget of half that amount." We took a family vote on the matter, and everyone was agreed: the Thanksgiving whining would take place in Ohio this year. :-)

So we stayed home for much less, and the boys bought at least one new X-Box game, stayed up until 5:00 am, played laser tag and ate the takeout of their choice every night. G also catered Thanksgiving as a gift to me so I could write more. <3 It turns out that everyone was happy because we all got to do what we wanted most. That alone made it the best family vacation we've had in a while.

$WIN

NaNoWriMo

I eeked out a win on this as well this morning. 50,019. Pretty sure the last thousand words is drivel. I should probably be happy, but I feel more relieved than anything. Now I want to experience the absence of thought for a while. G's on top of this. He says there will be alcohol in my immediate future.

I love that man.

All in all

November was outstanding in spite of the financial losses. Again this month, I only had one migraine. Fish oil has officially been added to my life plan. My cousin's chemo went great, and he's got an excellent prognosis for his type of cancer. I have so much to be thankful for! But I'm not really feeling it, because right now I'm experiencing the hangover of "I did nothing but draft new material this month." There are a hundred things I should be doing, like scrubbing the bathrooms and scaling Mount Laundry. I can't. If the weather wasn't damp and gray, I'd be out on the porch with a mug of hot coffee, staring off into the trees. But as it is, I'm fine just laying here on the couch and watching the ceiling fan spin... and spin... and spin...

Dave

Post by Dave »

Great job on NaNoWriMo, very impressive! Haha, you earned that couch time ;).

GandK

Post by GandK »

Team Lunch Redux

It will be three years in March that I left paid employment. Yesterday I saw my former coworkers for the first time since leaving. I made the 40 minute drive into the city and had lunch with them, and I toured their new office digs.

I was very happy to see everyone. I worked with great people, and I missed them. I ate with the three coworkers I knew the best and loved the most. We'd all worked together in the same set of cubicles for years. Lunch was a lot of laughing and "do you remember the time that we..." conversations. One of them had been promoted and was now the other two's boss. He asked me to come back. I was flattered, but declined. :-D

[When I got home and told G that, he made a face. "Do you want to go back?" No. "I'd love to retire earlier, K, but not at the expense of your happiness," he said. I was beyond touched.]

It was amazing to me to see what had, and had not, changed at the office in my absence. For the last 8 years of my career, I worked in a semi-government IT office of about 30 people... a 20 person software development team, and 10 person hardware and operations team. Counting managers. Apart from the normal growing pains that come with people retiring and the changes of technology, after I left they got a new CIO. And the new guy gutted the place in a reorg. No one's job was untouched.

After hearing about the reorg over lunch with my team, I found that when I went to tour the office and see everyone else, I could tell by looking at people - before they said a word to me - whether they had "won" or "lost" in their own estimation under the new management. One manager looked as though he'd aged ten years in the last three. Come to find out he'd been passed over for promotion twice in that time, and his underlings had been promoted up around him. The happy/content people didn't appear to have aged at all other than having a bit more gray around the temples. You could see the discontent in the lines on people's faces, in their pallor, and in the amount of eye contact they made (more than usual). It was as if their bodies were saying "tell me I still matter" because they couldn't bear to utter words like that aloud.

Everyone is still having a tough time with the idea of me having permanently stepped away from a "good" career at 39. Over and over, I was asked "do you still enjoy being at home," "what will you do when your youngest starts school," and "but you do consulting work on the side, right?" Some seemed surprised that I was still at home with my youngest. I think they thought maybe I'd just burned out, and they figured I'd politely lied to management about retiring and would re-enter the workforce in a more congenial company once I'd regained my senses.

On the drive home I asked myself what I miss about work. The list is only one item long: friends. I miss my coworkers as people. I should go eat lunch with them more often, or meet them for happy hour. Message them on Facebook from time to time. But there's nothing about the job that I miss, it was cool to realize. The things I liked about my career - creativity, challenge, problem solving and helping others - I have found ways to achieve in my post-retirement life. As far as status goes, I have found that saying "I spent 20 years writing software professionally" has the same conversational effect as saying "I'm a software developer." Although I continue to be embarrassed at my need to say that at all.

It was a great day. I promised to come again soon, and I look forward to next time. Although I will also say I'm glad I waited three years before returning for the first time. I've always been too empathetic, and I felt the ambient stress of others clinging to me when I left. It took me a few hours to shake it off. Two years ago, it would have taken days to rid myself off their emotional dross. And that's the stuff that ages you.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Its good to know that you actually can shake off the ambient stress that a workplace can give you. I am always aware of it and that it does affect every part of my life even though I have basically minimized it as much as I can at this point and I have wondered if its possible to even live without it now. I look forward to the day I might not feel that anymore. The last time I can remember the feeling was back in college, although that had a totally different sort of stress around it.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Holiday musings

First, like Dragline, I am incredibly thankful for this community. Special thanks to everyone I've corresponded with in private messages this year... naming names would hint at the content of the messages, so I'm abstaining. But either you've helped me or I've helped you, and I'm equally grateful in either case. I'm not exaggerating when I say I love people here. :D Feeler's prerogative.

Our holidays were calm. A health crisis in the extended family kept most of our anticipated guests away. I'm sure you can all relate when I say I had mixed feelings about that. And because we didn't know until the last minute how many people were coming, we waited until the very last minute (read: Christmas Eve) to shop for gifts and food. And that frenzied money-dropping sprint - me before, and G after, the 4 pm Christmas service - was the most stressful part of the holidays, LOL. So all in all, things were good. And our family member is on the mend.

We had to replace the artificial tree this year. But we got a bigger cash gift than we were anticipating from my parents, so we ended up in the black on our holiday spending in spite of this. I argued for, and we ended up getting, a smaller tree than the one we had (6' instead of 7'). I think that's still too big, but the boys pushed back on anything smaller than that.

On another note: several recent posts have gotten under my skin. Yes, I know I shouldn't let differences of opinion get to me, especially at the holidays. But occasionally I do. I would dearly love to comment when I feel like people I love are being attacked, but I can think of very little to say in those situations that doesn't look like the online equivalent of road rage. So I've reluctantly abstained. At present, I content myself with passive-aggressively journaling about this challenge, and periodically flapping my hands and muttering "Serenity Now..."

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

GandK wrote: Book safe

G has always kept our spare household cash in a place I find a little too obvious. For one of my projects this month, I made him a book safe. And it turned out awesome:

I cleaned up the inside corners a bit after I took this photo, but this is otherwise it. I didn't bother with the felt lining.

The only thing I did differently was that I used puzzle mod podge with the enclosed sponge rather than a paintbrush; this saved a few bucks. It worked great. If you already own an Xact-o knife (I didn't), it would only cost you the mod podge, or maybe that and a blade pack ($7 instead of the $17 I spent). I used about a third of the bottle of mod podge, so this amount of money spent would yield ~3 book safes.

You seriously can't tell by looking at the closed book with the dust jacket on, or even by opening it to the beginning, that the book is a safe. We deliberately chose a book in the middle of a series we own, so that on our bookshelf it in no way sticks out.

I am sleeping a little better at night now that our emergency money isn't... where it was.
This is creative! This was actually how the gun used to assasinate the Governor of Nasik smuggled.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

jacob wrote:If not bots then good copy-writers who are able to hammer out 40 "different" farticles on the same subject on practically any topic based on 10 minutes of research before tomorrow's deadline. If you don't think but type fast, you too can be a "content"-creatoooorrrr.
There are also article content spinner websites and softwares. You input an article, provide list of alternatives and synonyms for every word in the article, and it produces specified number of 'new' articles possible with different combination of those words possible. Variation between any two articles is inversely proportional to number of articles you want.

I've also seen a teacher individually replace words with their synonyms, change sentence structures (voice, active passive; person, first third; etc) for his master's thesis.

GandK

Post by GandK »

2015 Review

Last January, I wrote:
GandK wrote:This year's savings and growth will be less. We have medical bills coming for one of the kids (surgery after a broken leg), and our health insurance plan is less than generous. We expect the final bill to be $10k-$12k. G will have 2 daughters in college at the same time this fall. I believe the younger will get a free ride academically, but there will still be associated expenses. We are paying $6k this year for the elder; I anticipate paying roughly half that for the younger. And we have a big tax bill coming.

With no major windfalls on the 2015 horizon and some large bills coming due, I estimate this year's savings and growth will be about $75k, much less than 2014's. Our overall net worth should rise by $100k. We've tweaked our budget lately to increase our savings rate to 20%, but the bills will rein in our progress. It will suck to go backwards from 2014, but it's very cool to be far enough along our journey that I'm fairly certain our net worth for the year will rise by more than I made while working. :D

On the writing front, after a year of waffling, I've decided to pursue traditional publication instead of self-publication. Therefore, my 2015 writing goal is to finish editing book one of my series and find an agent for it.
2015 was a weird year.

Financially we were all over the place. This was due in large part to a speculative investment that looked promising but did not pan out in the end. I estimated above that our savings and growth for 2015 would be $75,000. The final figure was less than half that, at $31,236, although our savings rate went up from roughly 15% to 18% this year.

ICK.

However... we also removed a huge future expense from our retirement equation. The expense in question costs roughly $72,000 in today's dollars. The upshot of this change is that G's projected retirement date moved forward about 14 months. We now estimate he will be able to call it quits on April 1st, 2021, rather than June 1st of 2022.

YAY!

So even though our portfolio change was less than half of what I projected it would be, we came out further ahead on our goal than I thought because our non-qualified pot no longer needs to be as big as we thought. We won, even though we lost.

On the writing front I also fell short of my goal, although I think I had a back-handed win there, too. Although I'm not at the agent-seeking point yet, I did solve some underlying story problems on my manuscript that might have prevented me from getting published, and I found and dug into a great writing group. I'm doing some beta reading for those other writers at the moment while I decide what to do about one last story problem I'm having. Once I implement a solution and have my manuscript looked at one last time, I'll be seeking representation.

2016 Predictions

Financial: We ran our numbers yesterday and spent some time merging our projections (which for once were not wildly divergent, LOL). In 2016, we think we will break $400k in November or December 2016 for all non-pension accounts, and at about the same time, we hope to break $100k in non-qualified (regular brokerage) accounts. Two milestones, both right at EOY. There is a slight chance - 5% or less, I'd say - that the same speculative investment that lost us money in 2015 will rebound in 2016 and cause our net worth to go up another $100k. I doubt it, though.

Writing: I now plan to start looking for an agent for my current work around April 1st, 2016.

Other 2015 Observations

G and I started attending a new church recently. This is a very big change in our universe, our biggest change of 2015 for sure. Although we love our old church and had been active members for years, there was a toxic emotional situation there regarding a specific individual. After doing everything we could think of to change the situation and stay, we felt we had no choice in the end but to leave. Without going into detail, I think most objective observers, faithful or unfaithful, would wonder why we stayed put for so long. I can only say that although G and I are opposites in most ways, we both deeply hate the idea of giving up.

The new church is going fairly well so far. It's very different. It's much bigger, for one thing. In our last church we knew about half the congregation, and interacted with about a quarter of them. That's probably literally impossible now. The pastor of the new church is more edgy and intellectual in his sermons; our last minister was aiming squarely at "the unchurched" when he spoke, whereas the new guy assumes you were at least there last week. Part of the edginess is likely an age gap... our previous minister is in his 50s, and the new guy is in his 30s. It seems to be only young ministers that want to preach on things like homosexuality and euthanasia and traditional v/s modern roles of women. Older clergy don't rock the boat as much, IME. I prefer challenging sermons, even when I disagree. And I disagree frequently. G and I sometimes have lively debates on the way home from service.

Like our old church, this new one is small group oriented. (If you're unfamiliar, this is when you join a team of 12 or so people and "do life" with them. It's a common attempt to foster intimacy and familial relationships in large churches... everyone gets assigned to a group with people who are in roughly the same phase of life that you are. When you're married, this generally means once a week you're meeting in someone's home for dinner and intimate personal conversation with 5 other couples.) Someone in this church appears to be a Seth Godin fan, as they call their small groups "Tribes." We have not yet joined a Tribe. We expect that to happen sometime this month. Both of us are nervous about it. We've had good and bad experiences with small groups and with the Tribal mindset in general. Also, because G's background is in ministry (former pastor) and because he's a leader-type generally, he can't be just plopped into a group that already has a strong Alpha leader and everyone be happy. He's going to meet with the Tribal minister and "explain our family dynamic" before we join one, hehehe.

The other big change in our household in 2015 was that my older son, who is now 16, started working at McDonald's. About a month before his 16th birthday he got a job, and has been doing a fantastic job. He's diligently saving 70% of every paycheck, keeping his checkbook balanced, asking for as many hours as possible at work, is in the process of opening a Roth IRA of his own accord, and - most impressive of all to me - not only walking everywhere, but also hoping to get through high school without having to buy a car (we don't provide one). YAY! I am one proud Mama. You know your kids hear you having all these conversations, but you wonder whether they're absorbing it or not. And he did. :D He's even doing the math on how many years he will have to work before he has F-You money, and is planning a technical career. If we can only get him to start turning in all his homework, we'll really be in business.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

GandK wrote:
The other big change in our household in 2015 was that my older son, who is now 16, started working at McDonald's. About a month before his 16th birthday he got a job, and has been doing a fantastic job. He's diligently saving 70% of every paycheck, keeping his checkbook balanced, asking for as many hours as possible at work, is in the process of opening a Roth IRA of his own accord, and - most impressive of all to me - not only walking everywhere, but also hoping to get through high school without having to buy a car (we don't provide one). YAY! I am one proud Mama. You know your kids hear you having all these conversations, but you wonder whether they're absorbing it or not. And he did. :D He's even doing the math on how many years he will have to work before he has F-You money, and is planning a technical career. If we can only get him to start turning in all his homework, we'll really be in business.
Now that's exciting news indeed. One of my biggest worries is on whether our children will fail "to launch" as it were. Make sure you have him read the ERE book when you think he is ready.

Thanks for sharing everything else.

GandK

Post by GandK »

January 2016

This month sucked all the way around. Our investments lost about 5%, we had custody arguments going on, my teenager failed a class last semester and will have to repeat it, and all but one of us caught a bad cold. Looking forward to February.

Finding a retirement location, Part 1 of X

We're now less than 5 years from G's desired retirement date, and this month I started seriously combing through data on which states would be possible home bases in retirement.

I started by creating a spreadsheet of all 50 states, and added all of the following numbers: cost of living index, what $100 will buy, sales tax, top income tax rate we'd pay on $40,000/year including capital gains and dividend income, median property tax as a percentage of home value, tax rate on social security, tax rate on pensions, state debt as a percentage of gross state product (as a predictor of future taxes), migraine index (I get barometric pressure migraines), the overall well being index of the state, and the social well being index of the state (for my social butterfly husband).

After inputting all of those numbers, I removed the worst 10 states in each category, as we obviously don't want to spend the rest of our lives paying sky-high taxes for other people's past follies, or live in a place where no one is happy with their lot in life, or live someplace that has the right weather conditions for a migraine for a third of the year (!). Removing the states that had something glaringly wrong in our eyes left us with only 13 possible retirement states, most of which were already on our list of "we think we might want to live there someday" places:

We're pretty sure we don't want to live in Alabama, Kansas or Michigan even though they are on the list. We'd need to find a specific community that we loved to go any of those places. For Arizona, Delaware and Texas, we are in "let's explore it more and see" mode. The other states we already love.

The next step will be to compare this list of 13 states to lists of other things that interest us like "most walkable places," and see what specific communities appear. For the next few years, as we take vacations in the US, we want to visit cities and towns that are one of those communities.

As we explore each of these places with the end in mind, I'll type up my thoughts and post them here.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I like the chart. I'm looking forward to reading about where you end up choosing.

Does something like water scarcity concern you? It'll likely continue to be a bigger and bigger problem in areas like Arizona and Texas going forward.

GandK

Post by GandK »

@ffj

Kentucky got booted on percentage of state debt, and on both well-being indicators. It's the public debt that really worries me, though... I have two aunts there that retired from teaching (high school) in the last three years. They're in their late fifties. Both believe that their pension funds will dry up:

Kentucky teacher pension fund liability hits $24 billion

It's just like the mess in Illinois. The pension scheme is now less than 50% funded. Either retired teachers will take a massive hit, in some cases enough to impoverish them, or taxpayers in Kentucky will have to pay the missing $24 billion. Now, state law says the taxpayers have to cough up, but I'm not sure Kentucky taxpayers even have $24 billion. They certainly don't have it to spare when there are so many other pressing needs. And how many taxpayers will pay that tax without a fight? Willingly pay for someone else's pension - even a teacher - when most of them won't be getting a pension themselves? There could easily be riots. Worse, the teachers' pension isn't the only one in dire straits. This will happen on several fronts.

I do love my home state, but I think moving there now means signing up for a much bigger tax burden within a decade to fix the "play now, pay later" fiasco that the government there has created.

GandK

Post by GandK »

@ffj

Yes. It sucks.

@theanimal

Thanks. Yes, I am concerned about water shortages with Arizona, Texas and Colorado. In the case of water, though, I'm not sure whether the costs will end up falling on particular states or on the whole nation in the end. The Colorado river mess, for example... it affects several states, so it could (probably ought) to be a federal problem to solve, which means the whole country may end up paying. Especially since the current situation is literally unsustainable, and there are now companies trying to profit off the situation. I'm glad of the innovation, but it generally leads to regulation, and in this case that, too, means federal intervention.

henrik

Post by henrik »

@K - Your methodical approach to the selection is impressive and inspiring:) Migraines in Colorado, huh..
Did you consider any non-US locations?