Jacob's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Surio

Post by Surio »

As the first person that set the cat among the pigeons, I say, we haven't really hijacked the thread (not by much) really.
My original objection (crib?) with Jacob, was indeed about the excessive focus on the "Go efficient, young man!" exhortation in his OP, and the responses from others has pretty much stayed on topic since. If Jacob wants to move it, that's fine, but I don't think this is a hijack. We are still discussing his POV from others'.
@Dragline,

Thanks for taking the argument forward and teasing more points, and fielding questions on "framing of the point" in a super cogent way. Good call on pointing to Steve Keen too.
@Chad,

No worries. *shakes hands*
@teewonk,

Everyone suffers from that phobia that Felix uncannily pointed out.
@m741,

"At heart this is a question of whether increasing efficiency is moral or not"

I agree with Dragline's reply to that point. Then I thought about it a little. So let me leave you with those thoughts on the question.
Deep sea trawl fishing is probably the most efficient way to catch fish, but if you spend enough time on the subject beyond the "efficiency" aspect, you can find the adverse effects of the process through

a) depletion of fishing stocks,

b) other deep sea fishes caught in the nets,

c) ecological (coral reefs, etc.) destruction,

d) devastation of coastal communities in developing-

countries where these trawlers illegally operate,

e) fuel subsidies up to $50 mil/year to prop up the industry

and so on.

Whether so much collateral damage done in the name of being efficient in order to ship cheap canned fish to big supermarkets for consumers in a few countries is a moral thing or not, I leave it to you.
@m741,

"Actually I'm approaching this with an engineering perspective,"
Actually, I would say that I am also looking at it from an engineering perspective, only it is a Systems engineering perspective. We engineers would be naturally good at systems approach. We are all culturally primed into wearing some kind of "autistic horse blinds" like some badge of honour. High time we rejected it and be more holistic in our approach.
@Felix,

Your rant induced an uncontrollable burst of laughter from me, which amused the wife to no end. Thanks for making two people happy in one go. ;-) But it was all true :-\
Yes, that Rushkoff article was indeed well articulated. I think I also fall in that camp in my thinking. But, in this context I also want to place these old (and offensive to some maybe?) jokes that I heard some 15 years or so ago.

One day, a reporter found an American, a Russian, a Chinese, and an Israeli together.

"Excuse me?" The reporter asked. "What is your opinion of the meat shortage?"

The American asked, "What's a shortage?"

The Russian asked, "What's meat?"

The Chinese asked, "What's an opinion?"

The Israeli asked, "What's excuse me?"

This is the other one:

A worldwide survey was conducted by the UN. The only question asked was:"Would you please give your honest opinion about solutions to the food shortage in the rest of the world?"

The survey was a huge failure...

In Africa they didn't know what "food" meant.

In Eastern Europe they didn't know what "honest" meant.

In Western Europe they didn't know what "shortage" meant.

In China they didn't know what "opinion" meant.

In the Middle East they didn't know what "solution" meant.

In South America they didn't know what "please" meant.

And in the USA they didn't know what "the rest of the world" meant.

Just like the thread of those jokes above, 'scarcity' takes on a different meaning in different parts of the World. It is a Human construct in some countries, whereas it is a reality and fact of life to many others.
In other words, Scarcity is real and present thing in many places around the World. At least where I am writing this from (maybe bigato's place too?).
Just one example from one State
=-=-=-=-=
And before I press "send", Cheers Felix!. I thought my opinion of humanity couldn't sink any lower. Your "Pet rock" link just made it sink lower!

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

What's a Pet Rock? ;-)
Sorry, I just couldn't resist. And I apologize to Jacob for my part in hijacking his journal.

Chad

Post by Chad »

@Surio

We are almost always opposing views because we come at these topics with the same goals, but somewhat opposing solutions.
I like the first joke a lot. The second one is good too, but that U.S. stereotype isn't quite as apt as the one in the first joke. I think we get a slightly bad rap for that one, especially from Europeans.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

What's a joke?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Optimists only see green lights. Pessimists only see red lights. A wise person only sees lights. Of course this has nothing to do with optimism, pessimism or traffic lights.
I suspect that realizing and subsequently fully internalizing that life has nothing to do with "lights" leads to enlightenment.
PS: If you just like traffic lights, you're probably in the clear though. If not, maybe getting hit with a stick helps...
PPS: I can't move posts between threads. I'm eventually going to close this thread and start a new journal. If anyone has any final words, speak quickly.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Last person to talk wins the thread.

Catanduva

Post by Catanduva »

Hoorraay

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

What's a thread?
To follow on my comments about the relative value of "efficiency" above, here is the prologue to N. Taleb's upcoming book about that and related things:
http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/prologue.pdf

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Hey Jacob, I'm wondering, how do you handle washing the suits? Dry cleaning doesn't seem ERE-friendly.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Pants go in the tub. I haven't had to consider the jackets yet.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

Jacob: Dryel is a cheap option, but not very ERE. Maybe you can figure out how to replicate it by understanding the process? http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-dry-cleaning.htm
Fortunately, I don't have to wear suits anymore, but paying $10 to dry my suits used to be a soul sucking experience.

Surio

Post by Surio »

@Dragline,

Thanks for Taleb's PDF. He makes for some dense reading, so I have saved it for later.
----------------
Well, the talk on red and green lights didn't immediately make sense. Does that make me a "tubelight"? (Not really).
Anyway, I still think I am onto something valid, about my admonition of focussing on just plain efficiency tweaking as the thing to control, in order to streamline the business and make it better.
The World of debt/equity/finance instruments/trading seems to have a staggering effect at how the World is being run. (An xkcd infographic for the scale of it all). Working on problems affecting such a scale is like tightrope walking on a cliff. Better to be holistic than analytical, for the consequences of failure are pretty bad.
Dragline has connected many of the dots very excellently (Thank you from me to him). In addition and on top of it, I would like to point to some more resources for better understanding.
1. Look up and read more on the "invisible Gorilla" experiement (and their new book) if you are interested. It expands further on the flaw of "Inattentional blindness" (Read the section, "Possible Causes: Expectation" on the page, where you can draw the immediate connection to this discussion on not to focus on 'efficiency' alone)
2. Research by Richard Nisbett also distinguishes cognitive models that are a byproduct of culture. The Geography of Thought.
Both of those are enjoyable, rigorous and scientific books. if all they finally end up doing is injecting us super confident NTs with a sense of humility, I would say that is a good thing.
In some places, a fine line is what separates efficiency and exploitation: Motherjones article
Ciao.