The Journal of Spartan_Warrior

Where are you and where are you going?
Tyler9000

Re: The Journal of Spartan_Warrior

Post by Tyler9000 »

Spartan_Warrior wrote: I don't feel much more free now that I'm working from home full-time, although I suppose I am. I have my usual small (2-6 hours/wk usually) workload and I have to be around in case anyone calls or emails, but in many ways I suppose this is a preview of what retirement will be like. I'm not sure if that's encouraging or not.

With this free time and nothing to occupy it, I think I've developed a bit of an internet addiction (or I'm overfeeding an existing one).

Regardless, I feel like I need a new project, but I don't know what it should be. I'm kind of interested in getting more into homesteading and gardening stuff, maybe owning chickens, etc, but at the same time I feel like I always have one foot out the door here and don't want to settle my roots too deep. Is that an ordinary "wanderer" (vs. homesteader) trait?
I know that feeling. In my experience, one potential negative with alternative work arrangements (part time, working from home, etc.) is a resulting lack of "flow". The extra flexibility makes it too easy to get distracted from work, and even infrequent responsibilities are still enough to also zap motiviation to embrace new challenges outside of work. So even with all that extra time, you fall into a perpetual state of distraction.

The good news is that once you retire, that cycle is easier to break (after a period of adjustment) and you can fully dig in on new interests. In the meantime, I'd recommend setting interim goals to help cultivate focus. What can you learn about homesteading and gardening today to build towards your future goals?

GandK

Post by GandK »

Spartan_Warrior wrote:Never really got back into writing erotica, or anything else. I still have plenty of ideas for various projects, but no incentive to work on any of them. The effort to reward ratio just seems hopelessly skewed, and not even just financially. My last book may end up being my last book. It's sad because being a writer/storyteller has always been both my driving goal and part of my self-identity, but the reality hasn't lived up to the dream.
You may find that this changes when you no longer (try to) connect money to these stories. Also, if your life is very vanilla right now, you may find yourself with nothing much to say. The things that people respond to most strongly in my writing are invariably the things that were based, if only in metaphor since I write fantasy, on my own IRL experiences. Go have an adventure, and you may find you have a lot more to say when you sit down in front of the keyboard.
Spartan_Warrior wrote:Lately, my project has been politics, but that project "failed" as well. I was very excited and invested in the presidential primary, with Bernie Sanders redefining what a politician could be for me. I've shared my thoughts on this election frequently in the respective Clinton and Trump threads here, so I won't go into it any further. Suffice it to say I'm exhausted and my morale is fairly beat.
You didn't fail there, either. I was inspired by your activism even if I didn't agree with all your points. I bet several others were, too. And this movement is far from dead. It will continue to churn because the underlying issues have not been addressed.
Spartan_Warrior wrote:In somewhat related news, I've been thinking more about whether I want children or not lately, and I think I'm slowly realizing I may never want them after all. I think this idea upsets my GF, but I'm not sure how much.
Red alert! Talk through this. Not sure about her age, but the average woman has about an 18-year window to either have a kid or freeze her eggs, and if she's in her mid-20's, she's nearly halfway through that time frame already. Most women don't wrap their heads around this until their thirties, when most of their fertility is already gone. So for her sake, speak up soon. Don't let someone that you care about meander into a situation where her most important life choices are not hers to make any more.
Spartan_Warrior wrote:Regardless, I feel like I need a new project, but I don't know what it should be. I'm kind of interested in getting more into homesteading and gardening stuff, maybe owning chickens, etc, but at the same time I feel like I always have one foot out the door here and don't want to settle my roots too deep. Is that an ordinary "wanderer" (vs. homesteader) trait?
I don't know. G's a nomad, and I'm a homesteader. I think the real difference is that he has a deep need for physical novelty that I don't have. We both want to hit the road when he retires and live in an RV for a while. But I want to use that time to find the ideal location to buy land and settle. Personally, I don't think I can effectively flower and "bear fruit" in the Christian/service to humanity sense if I'm moving around constantly. And to the degree that I want novelty, I seem to be able to generate enough of it in my own imagination or find it in my various relationships that it's not on my radar of needs at all. I don't know if that means I'm self-actualized or just boring. But G wants to keep moving indefinitely. He craves those new beginnings, or rather (I believe) the adrenaline rush that they provide. I'm not sure how this will play out for our family in the end. I wish he'd just go skydiving periodically or go renew his pilot's license or something. Find some other way to produce that chemical reaction he needs that won't involve constantly uprooting me and, for the next 13 years, our youngest son.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Last edited by Spartan_Warrior on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan_Warrior

Last edited by Spartan_Warrior on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Happy Birthday!

On your frustrations with politics, you may take heart that all the demographic trends point in the general direction of your preferences. As an historical mirror, Reaganism was "dangerous and outside the mainstream" in 1976, acceptable enough but still "voodoo economics" in Bush's words in 1980, and the American Way by 1984. Reagan didn't change, but the electorate did via deaths and replacements. Same thing is happening in a different direction right now.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Spartan_Warrior wrote:Today we're heading to the county fair and I'm picking up some homesteading books from the library. At a certain point, though, I would have to start actually doing things to build practical knowledge and skill, but I'm really reluctant to start gardens, get chickens, et cetera, when I pretty much know the absolute maximum I'll stay in this house is five years. Maybe I shouldn't let that stop me?
Go ahead and do it and consider it tuition money which will be well spent even if it fails. I've been flip-flopping a lot in the past between being a nomad and being a homesteader. I thought and still think that homesteading is the rational choice (the vector with the most consilience behind it anyway), so I figured I could turn our house into this urban homestead as a practice run for a small farm somewhere in Vt like the Nearings. My plans were to eventually dig out the entire lawn and over a few years transform it into this massively intensive food production facility. I'd save rain water. I'd have three different compost operations going. I'd even go as far as keeping rabbits in the basement like Possum-living; and maybe even some unpermitted chickens like a lot of other people seem to do around here. However, I realized after the initial year that I simply don't enjoy the process that much. It's very similar to the recent [url=viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8006]STEM[/thread] in which I never really done much gardening before but figured it was a good idea and therefore tried it ... and found that I don't inherently enjoy the garden equivalence of debugging or reading manuals. Yes, I got the seed catalog. Some people think that's the most exciting thing to come in at the beginning of the season. I haven't opened mine yet. On top of that, the garden stuff (and worse, the house stuff) requires at least some maintenance that takes away attention from things I'd rather be doing. I now appreciate Zuckerberg's statements about preferring young people, not because they're young, but because they haven't signed up for a bunch of "maintenance" yet.

So I am happy that I figured all this out before I literally, not figuratively, bought the farm. I'm only out a hundred bucks and a few hundred hours. An actual homestead would have been a much more expensive mistake to make. If you know for sure that you're going to move, then instead of growing food, grow pretty flowers ... figure out whether it excites you to have the best landscaped back/front yard on the street. That will likely have some sales value when the house goes. If that's fun, food will be even funner. If it isn't, ...
Spartan_Warrior wrote:Funny you should say that; to be honest, the only thing I'm remotely inclined to write at the moment would be a 1984-meets-Blade Runner style dystopian sci-fi that I could use to metaphorically rail against the sociopolitical situation/future. Obviously inspired by my most recent political misadventures. The main reason I can't motivate myself isn't the money, though, but the lack of readership. (Related, of course, but one has bothered me far more than the other.) It feels like a waste of my voice, like shouting into a pillow (or at a protest). I don't know what I expected, but I guess my vanity has not been satisfied by this platform.
The ideal audience to write for is "your slightly younger self but without knowledge you now have". I recently saw it repeated in some Feynman book. This is a hard lesson to learn or accept. I used to know it intuitively, but then the success of the ERE book kinda made me forget it and I started thinking way too much about my audience or my potential audience for my next book; how different subjects or words would go over with different groups; how the same words would be understood quite differently at different stages of competence. That was the lesson I learned from the reader feedback of the ERE book and it has more or less stymied me from finishing other books. I've started almost a dozen, but they never get finished before I change my mind about something because I figure that I should also address readership subgroup Y and that how I addressed subgroup X might be incompatible. I didn't have that problem when I wrote the ERE book. I was writing it for me and the approximately 30-50 core blog readers I expected to buy it. I need to get my head back to that stage.

While the above rule seems to be non-fiction based, the fiction-based rule I've heard is that you write because you have these stories in your head that need to come out. Writing them down creates a kind of closure on the story. In that way it's similar to solidifying non-fiction knowledge above. I write something down so I no longer have to keep the juggling balls airborne in my head. Maybe these stories are political comments. They can be.

In any case, if writing for fame, your input effort has practically no effect on the result insofar as the writing goes. If you were writing for fame or money, the key focus should be on consumer research and marketing. In such a case your writing only has to be good enough. If you're writing to be seen or protest, do it directly via a blog. Write blog posts that are interesting to your target group and then comment liberally on other similar blogs. There's some Sun Tzu to this: "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win". If you don't mind some 'tough love', protesting seems a lot more like going to war first ... as does writing and then trying to become famous.

Spartan_Warrior

Last edited by Spartan_Warrior on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Congrats on your engagement!

You have solved the "optimal stopping problem": https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... g-to-math/

On the wedding, I suggest you focus on one or two things that matter to you and then let her family plan whatever party they want to have. Go to it and smile. Being a good sport here will build you a lot of social capital. Finding ways to get along with your in-laws is one of the best presents you can give to your spouse (think of it that way), because she will get either all of the credit or all the blame for your behavior. You can grouse to her privately about them.

As for the rest, you might want to pull back on defining yourself mimetically by images or reverse images of others. Ultimately whether the way you choose to live has been labeled x, y or z by someone else in some context should not be determinative of how you spend your days. And I would doubt anyone you care about really cares about your class position, so why should you? There are no prizes or benefits to be won, moral or otherwise, by occupying or not occupying a particular class position.

Spartan_Warrior

Last edited by Spartan_Warrior on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Great news! Congratulations! Please tell us you created one of those spectacles involving your entire in-law-family to pop the question....

Spartan_Warrior

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Congratulations!!

Have a copy of the ring made and stick the real one in a safe. Then you'll have no worries if it's stolen. I rarely wear my real ring.

Spartan_Warrior

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Congrats (and about time, LOL)!

Spartan_Warrior

Last edited by Spartan_Warrior on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

Congrats.

Sorry to give you some advice that wasn't asked for especially at this time but my take is worry about the things you can control and ignore the other stuff. Becoming FI is a great way to focus on improving your life.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Congratulations!

Spartan_Warrior

Last edited by Spartan_Warrior on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Spartan_Warrior wrote:...I would consider my relationship with money and property, the market economy, and capitalism to all fall within my locus of control--as much as anything is physically possible to be under anyone's locus of control. I definitely agree being FI (and/or working toward it) in my present manner is improving my own position in life. The question I find myself asking is at what (moral) cost?
I have some of the same qualms.

My current position is that for G and me to remove ourselves from the labor market allows (a) approximately two other people to be gainfully employed instead when we go - socially beneficial in a tight labor market - and (b) allows us to help the world tangibly by volunteering our time more, which we both feel more strongly about than we ever did about our respective professions.

I don't think using the system and changing it, and lives, for the better are incompatible. YMMV.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

On that note, I'm having a really hard time forgiving people in my personal life that I know voted for Clinton. It's hard for me not to feel resentment both because of my personal sense of failure and because of what I foresee to be a far worse future ahead for the people of Earth. I realize this is a personal problem on my part, but I have to admit that's where I am right now.
If she's as evil as you believe, (no need to convince me) their votes wouldn't matter. The results were in before the counting started. So, really, there should be nothing to forgive; or, at most, you need to forgive their gullibility.