Able was I ERE's go log

Where are you and where are you going?
McTrex

Re: Able was I ERE's go log

Post by McTrex »

Hi,

Just saw that you're still active on these forums and had to ask a question that's been bugging my mind since 06 Jan 2012.

Don't laugh too hard, ok? ;)

How is Able was I ERE a palindrome? I just can't figure it out... :?

Regards,
McTrex

Able was I ERE

Post by Able was I ERE »

McTrex wrote:Hi,

Just saw that you're still active on these forums and had to ask a question that's been bugging my mind since 06 Jan 2012.

Don't laugh too hard, ok? ;)

How is Able was I ERE a palindrome? I just can't figure it out... :?

Regards,
McTrex
Glad to provide such a long-term puzzle for you! It's only part of the palindrome, see here for the full sentence: http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/09/15/saw-elba/

Able was I ERE

Post by Able was I ERE »

5to9 wrote:If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to hear a little about how the kids are adjusting to the big move. Is the new country also a new language? I'm in a fairly similar position, and this is something I have always thought about.
(Only occasionally check this forum, so apologies for the late reply.)

The kids have adjusted well. We spoke the native language to them exclusively from birth, so language wasn't an issue. The eldest was starting kindergarten, so it was a transition time regardless. It helped to have continued video call contact with grandparents and other family members. We also moved from suburbia to a city, so learning to be in a city such as how to safely cross the street was necessary as well.

If you have other questions, please ask or pm me.

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

Able was I ERE wrote:
Glad to provide such a long-term puzzle for you! It's only part of the palindrome, see here for the full sentence: http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/09/15/saw-elba/

Ah! Thanks :) It never crossed my mind to just Google it :)

Able was I ERE

Able was I ERE's EOY 2017 update

Post by Able was I ERE »

Been spending my time focusing on life satisfaction / happiness instead of financial. I've started working only 3 days / week, which has cut into my savings rate into "normal" territory and increased time to FIRE. I'm trading off time not working now for time working later. Living a FI calculated the effects of Taking a Gap Year, the effects of taking "gap days" by working fewer hours are similar. In short, the time taken now is almost directly traded for time later---an advantageous situation if you value time now much more than time later.

Big items
  • Children's schooling costs is a big luxury item but temporary: it will go down steadily over the next few years and reach a lower, steady state.
Expenses - 2017
€17.6k housing
€9k school
€7.9k food
€5.9k transportation/holidays
€2.6k entertainment
€2.5k misc
-----------
45.5k total

Summary
10% estimated post-tax savings rate (pending 2017 taxes and social / health insurance contributions)
19.8 years post-ERE expenses saved.

Compared to 6 years ago, this is measurable progress:
Able was I ERE wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:39 am
7.3 years estimated post-ERE expenses saved