Riparian's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

You can file the FAFSA before you do your taxes. You just use "estimated" numbers. I always filed January 2nd before I had anything together. You can always go back to the college and correct them later. Financial aid is given out first come first served so I would encourage you to file sooner rather than later, even before your taxes.
Sounds like you might be a victim of identity theft...

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

What do you do about heating? $410/mo. seems incredible in an Alaskan winter.

riparian

Post by riparian »

secretwealth I cut a lot of wood. About a cord a month where I am now (it was more like a cord and a half a winter at my place) with a crosscut saw. It keeps me in good shape and it's great for my mental health too.
(Funny story about being "in shape" - the other day my dog took off after a moose. He's old, but he's still a husky type fast dog, and he had a head start. I ran him down, caught him, and carried him (50-ish lbs) back to the cabin. I was like, "damn I'm tough!" My elder was like, "you're all out of breath! You're in horrible shape!" He used to run about 30 miles a day to check his traps, it took him like 14 hours.)

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

If I ever get in a bar fight, I can only hope riparian is there to watch my back.

C40

Post by C40 »

I saw something on 60 Minutes the other day about how hard it can be to get the credit reporting companies to remove incorrect things. I'd start by contacting the company you got the bill from. It might be a good idea to check your credit report now.
Sometimes companies just screw up and move past-due bill amounts to the wrong people. (An electric company once added $200 to my bill that some other guy with the same first and last name owed them).

riparian

Post by riparian »

I think the letter might have gotten used as firestarter. Maybe I have to wait for them to send another one...
So. Taxes. Should I pay my regular lady $350 to do them again even though she always makes mistakes (that she corrects and gives me discounts for)? I really like her because she'll help if I get audited and I think having a reputable professional makes me less likely to get audited. Also getting a new tax person is hard cause I live in a small community and some of my work is stigmatized.
Or should I try this turbo tax thing? Will that make me get audited? I have two w2's and a whatchammacallit, yanno, sole proprietorship thingy.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

It is true that if your CPA is a reputable person/firm it reduces your likelihood of an audit. On the other hand, if your tax profile is sort of low, you have a minimal chance to be audited anyway.
I don't think a tax preparer who makes multiple errors is worth $350. Then again, your community is small...
I have never used Turbotax, but I have heard it is good if your tax return is fairly simple. On the other hand, if there is any part of your tax return you don't understand, you need a professional.

Chris

Post by Chris »

I vote for doing the taxes yourself. Your risk of being audited is low, based on your income level. Having a sole proprietorship isn't a big deal, especially if you don't have inventory (which you don't I think). And you can use last year's tax return as a guide for doing this year's taxes.

acorn

Post by acorn »

"(Funny story about being "in shape" - the other day my dog took off after a moose. He's old, but he's still a husky type fast dog, and he had a head start. I ran him down, caught him, and carried him (50-ish lbs) back to the cabin. I was like, "damn I'm tough!" My elder was like, "you're all out of breath! You're in horrible shape!" He used to run about 30 miles a day to check his traps, it took him like 14 hours.)"
moose! - 50 lb dog! - running 30 miles! - traps! Wow, just wow. I love to hear the details of your life Riparian. It's just so interesting and cool.

riparian

Post by riparian »

Haha, thanks acorn. It's cool that you guys think I'm so badass, cause I'm just normal around here.
Ugh, I've been on hold with the IRS for 20 minutes. I came to the fast internet and everything but taxes are still so hard. :(

riparian

Post by riparian »

ZOMG I DID MY TAXES!!!!!!! And I'm getting money back!!!! Probably for the first time in like 12 years! I can't believe I'm such an employee lately AND I made quarterly payments like a real grown up!!!
I didn't hit the finish button yet cause I'm missing one form - interest from a Roth IRA. Why do I have a Roth IRA that only has $600 in it? Should I do something with that? Will anything bad happen if I just don't report whatever the interest was since it's a small amount and obviously I lost the form and I can't remember who it was even from? <-- So INFP, sorry INTPs.

ICouldBeTheWalrus

Post by ICouldBeTheWalrus »

What? Interest paid to you within a Roth IRA account shouldn't have any effect on your federal income tax return as long as you're not making any withdrawals from the account.

riparian

Post by riparian »

Saved: $1200
Totally semi-ERE, mostly passive money: $491
Spent: 711
WHAAA???
Gas: $158. This used to not be an expense at all, but now I guess it might be forever. I need to be more strict about getting gas money from the person I'm driving around.

My dog is dying: $261

New clothes: $110 (They replace things I've literally been wearing every day for years, and they make me happy every day.)

Eating In Town: $128 (I'm like, "I'm stuck in town MAKING money! It takes money to make money! What I eat is an investment in my body and my business!" So I eat at grocery store salad bars and get too much fancy pants coffee.)
In other news:

- My dog is probably going to be dying for another month or two.

- One of my clients died. It was a good death. There goes $1k/m for me, but I'm happy to sleep in the same place every night, or at least have the option.

- I published a second book! Take the space out for the link to work: http://www.amazon.com/Who re-Diaries-Adventures-Independent-ebook/dp/B00BR0YBDO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

- I got into grad school. I have to take biology and maybe get cable internet. I'm kind of excited and prepared to either love it or hate it.

- I have like $10k saved for rental building this summer. That's enough to put in a driveway and build the barest of cabins, so technically I think could do it with what I have now, but another $10k would be even better.

- I'm trying to get student loans but this whole process is incredibly slow and maddening. IBR for the win tho!

riparian

Post by riparian »

Hey y'all,
Sorry I haven't been around. Quick update:
- Been making $900+ monthly from my books for a while now. Can I call that ERE?

- Bought a tiny house someone wanted to get rid of. I got a great deal ($5k) (thanks to my stripper negotiation skills) and I get all the appliance awesomeness! It should be in place on my land and ready to rent out in like 2-3 weeks.

- I totally didn't budget as much as I should have for driveway and electric.

- I was gonna build a second adorable tiny rental this summer, but I might not be able to afford it now.

- I'm going to grad school. Distance Ed. Omg, so much reading. I'm enjoying the hell out of the classes but not sure if I'll finish the program. It would probably involve moving for a practicum which would be very expensive.

- My dog doesn't have a brain tumor! He's 18 and might live forever.

- Flooding. Ugh. So far my cabin's still dry.

- I'm making 100 of everyone's fave product of one is my businesses but my primary sales outlet is gone and I might have to expend effort.

- So many ideas, so little time!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Did you get one of Jay Schafer's designs (which one?) or another tiny house?

riparian

Post by riparian »

The one I bought and am moving is just a frame box, 2x4 construction with 2x6 walls and floor. It's just tiny in size (tho almost twice as big as my house!).
The one I'll build is a 15 sided dome. If you google picture starplate dome system it'll be very similar to that but slightly bigger with a loft. I estimate under $3k material cost (not counting making it pretty, appliances, driveway, electric drop).
Edit:
Pics - https://www.google.com/search?q=starpla ... 20&bih=416
What should I read to figure out the business/tax end of what I'm doing? I really have no idea and 300 pages to read this week for grad school. Should I form an LLC? Is there something I can read that just gets to the point and doesn't repeat itself endlessly?

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I've found that the LLC doesn't do anything for you tax wise that a sole proprietorship can't do. However the LLC is cheap legal protection. It's $50 in Colorado and $10 for ongoing annual renewal/reports. I think it's worth it given your other businesses/endeavors. If you care about shielding your identity I seriously considered Wyoming. But then you'd still have to register as a "foreign" entity operating in Alaska so... if you don't care about hiding, just register in Alaska if it makes sense.
Some accountant I talked to said once you get around 60K it might make sense to go S-Corp (to save on taxes) but you and I aren't there... yet ;)

riparian

Post by riparian »

Good point, LS. I think I'll talk to a lawyer. I probably need a DBA or maybe LLC for another business too.
Here's my rental expenses so far (for future me at tax time too):
Land - 12k?

Cabin - 5k

Gravel - 2250

Chain saw - 379

Tie par - 359 (can resell part of roll?)

Shoes - 59 (down from $120. This is totally a construction expense, right?)

Lunch for the crew- 46
Electricity will be a little over $2k to get set up probably, so the cabin itself will cost a little over 10k when it's done, and the land 12k.

riparian

Re: Riparian's Journal

Post by riparian »

June:

$950ish from Amazon
$280 from other ventures

Look, it's all semi-ERE!

I spent it all on construction and dealing with construction and being stuck in town during construction and then due to a fire that had the road closed. This involved an embarrassing amount of milkshakes (crazy heat wave in Alaska) and I remembered bunches if things I'd been meaning to buy, since I was in town anyways. :(

I finished my biology class (a pre-req) and got an 85, which I think is good for not having the book. I have an A in all grad level classes so far. My advisor hates me.

The tiny cabin is all moved and just needs electric installed. Then I'm gonna use it to stay in while building the dome this summer before renting it out.

In July I'm going to a fancy pants conference in Vegas. Hopefully I make more than I spend.

I finished a draft of the best thing I've ever written. My favorite author is editing/mentoring it.

I'm counting my eggs before they're hatched here, but it looks like by October my ERE income will be:

1200+ from 3 amazon books
7-900 from 2 little rentals.

I'm planning:
$500/m for living
$500/m for travel and equipment upgrades
$500/m back into the rentals
$500/m forever savings

And I'm gonna get health insurance! I think!

riparian

Re: Riparian's Journal

Post by riparian »

I was reading y'all's journals about the funny conversations we have about ERE and our lack of jobs.

My mom's husband stopped by to heck out my gravel situation and I was like, "thanks so much for all the help! I'm gonna be retired!"
Him: We figured you already were.
Me: it might look that way but actually I work really hard... uh... never mind.

To most people I act super excited that I'm "playing monopoly" and gonna retire. I'm young and female so they just think I'm naive instead of thinking that I can live on $500/m, have book income they don't know about, and other businesses I can pick up whenever.

For years I've been having conversations like this:

What do you do?
Whatever I want. *change topic*

How do you make it out there with no job?
I'm really frugal. If you don't spend money you don't have to make it.

I know people are always talking about having too much time, but really? By the time I get up, do yoga, have a cup of tea and write in my journal, make breakfast, do a little work outside, get some exercise, read some things and think some things, make dinner and clean up around the house, go for a walk, the day is almost over! How do people have time to spend 8 hours a day at a job?