DutchGirl's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
nppraxis

Post by nppraxis »

I miss living in the Netherlands so much :( It was really nice not needing a car. Public transit was amazing.
Props to you!

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Thanks, all. Yes, public transport is very nice here. In fact for me it will even improve come december; instead of 2 trains there'll be 4 trains per hour going in the right direction. I'm not complaining :-) . I do not need a car to go to work; I just take the train. I work at several locations now, which means I also sometimes have to take a bus from the station to the location, but that's OK, too.
I more or less got over my boredom and managed not to spend money on it. I even got some small bits of extra income, from books I sold and from a refund of an insurance premium where I had paid too much. One-and-a-half week before my salary comes in.
Actually, I also have some money sitting in Kiva (www.kiva.org). One thing I like about that (besides that I feel I'm doing some good here) is that the borrowers usually pay off (part of) their loan on the 15th of the month. So next Tuesday I'll have some money again that I can spend... I'll spend it on new loans, no doubt. For me this feels like a justified way of giving in to my wishes to spend money; and so far (active for 2.5 years now) I've also always received my money back, so it's also a rather safe way of spending money.

So I'm looking forward to spending money on Kiva next week, and otherwise I'm looking forward to spending nothing for the next 1.5 weeks, except on train tickets and groceries (all the bills for this month have been paid).
I've been reading the book "Rich dad, poor dad" this week. I saw it at the library and borrowed it. I'm a bit worried/skeptic about the writer since reading about him on wikipedia (there are some controversies about him there); also I find some of the behaviours that he describes unethical (or maybe that's too strong a word, it's just something that I wouldn't do for money). Also, maybe he focuses too much on the people who made it (became rich) and not on the people who behaved in the same way, and who didn't make it (stayed poor or became poorer). As a researcher (ahem), I know that if you want to investigate the consequences of certain behaviour, you should follow a group of people from the beginning and see where they all end up (a prospective cohort study). If you only look at the people who turned out succesful (a retrospective case study), you miss out on the ones who lost.
Anyway, I think I learned something from this book. I like it how he shouts "wake up, think for yourself, don't follow the beaten path". I will continue to follow my own path; as lots of others here are also following their personal path.
My PhD thesis is progressing reasonably well. Next week I'll have to work for a lot of hours, so I'll have less time to spend on the thesis (but more money coming in next month).
Oh, I forgot to tell that I found out a library nearby offers e-books as well. They have a membership with a large provider and have a couple of e-copies of some books; which can be downloaded to one's ipad or computer to read. The membership is 5 euros per year for me (since I'm also a member of another library) and the borrowing of the e-books is free. I'm looking forward to a winter of reading here, without ever having to go to the library :-) .

sky

Post by sky »

I do kiva.org too, in the past 3 years I have made 38 loans with an initial donation of $200. Too bad it doesn't earn interest!

Chris

Post by Chris »

Too bad it doesn't earn interest!
My Kiva portfolio still beat my 401k return in some years (-:

TravelingTrader

Post by TravelingTrader »

Hi DutchGirl
I´ve read "Rich Dad - poor Dad" 2 years ago. I´ve applied some of the technique and moved from the “E” to the “S” Quadrant.

Guess what happened: The job was the same but the financial reward was amazingly higher. It’s only the risk which depends just on you.

Investments seem a better choice. I believe, Robert Kiyosaki know what he is talking about.

Leaving the usual path seems fine.
Enjoyed working some time in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Veenendaal.

EU_US

Post by EU_US »

Dutchgirl,
like your journal a lot and you seem to be very enthusiastic, which is a pro in ERE.

I wish I was 32 and think about ERE. By now I would have had lots of $$.

I am originally from Europe too, I was just adopted by US many years ago, so I know some things about money over there and some about in Germany where I lived foe a short period of time.

To do ERE in Europe is harder than in the US for 2 reasons:

1.Taxes in some counties (NL included) are awful..I thought I was paying a lot here (25%) .

2. The cost of living over there is high: many foods are more expensive than here. Rent is very high, buying a house/apartment is just something many need to forget unless you are quite rich.

I personally don't believe in inversting in long term stocks, I prefer short term.
I will need to look into that kiva.org

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Sky/Chris: it is amazing how these entrepreneurs pay back on time. There can be some social pressure, especially in a group loan, but I hope and believe that most microfinance institutes that Kiva works with do not use violence or other illegal and unethical methods to force people to pay back. So it is really the people paying back because they want to and can, and perhaps also because they want to get another loan later. Gives me hope for the future :-)
TravelingTrader: thanks, duly noted. I will try and learn something from this book and then read some more books. I've actually never been to Veenendaal in my life, but of course I've been to Rotterdam/Amsterdam. Both interesting cities, glad you enjoyed your stay, too.
EU-US: thanks! I think the Netherlands (at least, I don't know much about other EU countries) has advantages too:
1. Health care is a lot cheaper than in the US. At least if I understood correctly that some people in the US are forced to pay hundreds of dollars (up to a thousand) each month for basic health insurance.
2. Social security is better. This may change a bit, but you can't predict the future anyway.
3. Public transport is better than in a lot of US areas. Biking is very accepted and safe.
4. There is an automatic paycheck deduction for your retirement fund for most people. Contributions cannot be skipped by any employee and start at age 21. So I have been working for seven years now and have already built-up the right to receive 200 euros per month (post-taxes) after my retirement at age 67 for as long as I live. This will be on top of the normal state pension and yeah for both state pension and this retirement plan of course a lot can happen in the next 35 years...
5. My education has been free, basically. Current students have a tougher time, with less rights and more expenses, but in my days you could live off of the government's contributions.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Hurray, another salary came in yesterday. It was much more than I expected. This was my first salary at my new job. I had calculated that it equaled about 20 euros per hour of work, it turns out it's 27 euros per hour, so that's about 35% more. This does include things like travel costs and holiday money (which they normally pay out in May, but I opted for the a-bit-each-month option). I'm still waiting for the letter specifying why it's this amount of money, exactly, but I'm not complaining. This means that I should be able to pay all my expenses from my salary this month even when it's actually only half-a-month of salary. (And yup, that should mean next month I can save up a bit more than 50%...).
There's a discussion going on elsewhere on this forum about stoicism. I think I should look into that. I've always "needed" targets to live for and work towards, otherwise I slump down and do nothing; and also I do not enjoy myself anymore if I have no goal. I've always worked for that delusion of future happiness (if only I would be at university, if only I would live in a house instead of a room, if only I had a boyfriend, etc). So I probably need to love my current life more and make some changes to it, maybe. (Because I've got the university diploma, I live in the house, I have the boyfriend... happiness should happen right now, shouldn't it?).
But first I really really need to finish my PhD thesis. If I don't, everyone will be disappointed. Including me.

ExpatERE

Post by ExpatERE »

I would highly recommend looking into stoic philosophy. I find that it has helped me ground myself in the now much more than usual. I basically got tired of thinking that I just needed one more thing to make me happy. My orientation then became to reinforce that what I have is already enough and to be thankful and grateful for what is, not what might be. It seems many of us share the same sentiments that you share here.
Wishing you continued progress on the thesis.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

ExpatERE, thank you. I was reading your journal about being an expat and how there are websites out there in every area of expertise, and I thought: why not try it? My boyfriend, who is an IT consultant, has always been interested in astronomy work and has some experience in it, too. I surfed to the ESO website (European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO)) because he talked about going to Chile before, jokingly, and lo and behold, there's a job opening that's perfect for him, application deadline December 9th. So he may go and apply. Wow, if this happens, if he gets this job, this changes what I had thought/planned about our future, but it's OK. (By the way, the Job is in Munich, Germany; but with trips to Chile and the US now and then).

But I'd better get my thesis finished now...
PS It would be a position for three years. So I would need to find something to do there, too, or I would go crazy. However, I've got skills, too. I'd need to brush up my German (and especially my south-german) but I could do it...

Country Hopper

Post by Country Hopper »

Munich is a great city to live in my experience so fingers crossed for you both. The difficulty I had is that work there is geared heavily towards IT with slim pickings for my speciality (Finance). I gave up in the end and moved to near Franfurt.
Good luck

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Thanks, Country Hopper.
My boyfriend's job application was sent in last Sunday, with some swearing because of the way the website worked. (You have to send in your resume and a motivation letter, which both can't be more than 1 MB, and THEN they'll ask you to fill in all those details again in separate nifty little text boxes on five pages with absolutely no ability to save your progress, which meant we lost the first few pages one time). Maybe it's an obstacle placed there to exclude people who are not really motivated... But my boyfriend was motivated enough to keep going and get through. And now we wait*. Deadline for applications is December 9th, a week from now.
*This sentence has a special meaning in the Netherlands since this (english-spoken) beer commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_iPvUWyzhE
Since I am finishing my PhD thesis, I can pick up my roots and move anywhere, as long as there's a computer and internet (to connect to my files at the university). I am a bit worried though about staying independent, financially. I am currently contributing an equal amount of money to our house and our common expenses and then there's money left for savings/investments, fun, charities etc. If we move to Germany, I guess I'll be out of a job for a little while at least. I was trained as a doctor, and I feel I can't go and work with German patients since I don't understand the language well enough (and certainly not the Bavarian accent!). (Of course, if I wanted I probably could get an intensive language course and then apply for a job - it is one option to consider).
I love making my own money. I have been raised to believe it is important to make your own money, if at all possible. I feel I could agree with my boyfriend paying for our housing and groceries for a while if we move to Munich, especially if I finish my thesis in the meantime and dedicate some time to us settling down (paperwork, furniture etc). But I feel I can't ask him to contribute money to my charities, or my savings.
The ESO does offer some help, they say, to help new employees and their family move and settle in; perhaps they also offer help with finding a job for a new employee's partner. So I should not be too worried, yet.
Meanwhile, my boyfriend excitedly talks about this opportunity to everyone. It always brings a smile to my face, to see his enthusiasm. He really really really likes this opportunity, so I feel like we should do it (or at least try to get that job, for now). No kids, no other dependents (both sets of parents are still up and running), Germany isn't too far from home, we both welcome the adventure... It's a bit scary, but it is also a promise of a lot of adventurous things.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

Hi Dutchgirl -

Thanks for your tips; I'll check em out for sure.
I think I missed what city in Germany the job is in, is it Munich?
I lived in Stuttgart for a while with the American military; many German communities have an American military base. It doesn't sound like you speak German but your English is great. Perhaps some of the hospitals in some of these communities could hire you just to look after the Americans/expats. There are many thousands, especially Ramstein Air Force Base, I heard it's the largest community of Americans outside of America.
You may also find you may be able to teach medical or undergrad courses in Germany in English. I have no idea if this is feasible but it's an idea. I think Germans are required to take years of English in school so most of them can speak it at least sort of, many of them speak it fairly well.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch, LiquidSapphire, aber ich weiss nicht ob es "enough" ist... (enough = genugend? zureichend?). The job's indeed near Munich.
You've given me some new ideas, indeed. In the recent past I've been looking at possibilities to teach in the Netherlands, now I can indeed try and find similar jobs in Germany. (Physiology and Genetics come to mind as possible topics).
My boyfriend and I walked around the nearby park this morning discussing things. He's aware that it'll be a bit of a challenge to find a job for me; so we'll both have to be on the look-out for opportunities, certainly if/when he gets an invitation for a job interview...

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

So... No news on the boyfriend's job application yet. The deadline was this Friday, so maybe we'll hear something next week, or the week after? I've been looking into some differences between Dutch and German taxes, social security, health care plans etc; and I think we'll be able to make all the changes required (well, we're academically trained, so if we can't do it, who can?) and have a good life in Germany. Biggest concern for me is whether I'll be able to get a job there that gives me at least 1000 euros post-tax per month (enough for my part of the household budget plus some traveling). Next-biggest concern is that I hated all the die/der/das grammar stuff in German when I had to learn in high school, but that I'd probably have to learn it again if I don't want to look like a small child when speaking German.
For this month, my finances are looking ok. No big purchases and all normal expenses within their limits. I found out that they probably gave me too much salary (something to do with taxes - they should have deducted more), but I am sure that this will automatically be corrected when I file for taxes in April. So I should set some money aside to be able to pay taxes then. But I will, that's going to be ok.
A sobering meeting this week was a meeting with an ex-colleague, who apparently has had breast cancer this summer. She spoke very lightly and optimistically about it. She's 44, a mother of two kids (9 and 13 years old) and the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes (which were removed) but not further, so she's had some chemotherapy and she hopes that that's it. From my experience I know that sometimes that's it, indeed; but sometimes the cancer will return. I fervently hope for her that she falls in the first group, and that she can see her children grow to adulthood... Cancer sucks. And, may I add, the Dutch healthcare system is great here, because all the bills have been paid by the health insurance company, and no therapy that could be beneficial to her had to be withheld because she couldn't pay for it. So she may have lots of health worries (that she isn't telling me about), but there are no money worries. That's something.
Carpe diem :-)

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

> Next-biggest concern is that I hated all the

> die/der/das grammar stuff in German when I

> had to learn in high school
LOL... yeah, that's one of the reasons many colleges in the US don't count Dutch as meeting the foreign language requirement for a BA. I barely survived one of year of German and, when traveling, had the experience that the natives would decide that just because my accent was minimal that I must be able to understand them -- even after asking them to speak much slower because my German was poor!

chenda

Post by chenda »

Good luck to you if the move goes ahead, and I hope you friend fully recovers

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Today I got this month's salary. I've paid off my credit card and made the final charitable donations for this year, and the situation is now as follows:
11k euros in savings, 5k in investments, thus totaling 16k. I was hoping to get total assets to 17k this year, but there was the miscalculation with the salary in October/November and so I am quite happy with an increase in my savings of 3k since I started tracking my progress here.
My boyfriend still hasn't heard anything from the job in Germany, which I start to find a bit worrying. He was so confident that they would, at least, invite him over for a good talk! He still is confident about it, but also hopes that they contact him this week.
I found some job openings there as "Clinical Research Assistent", which could be something for me. As I understand it, a CRA manages research projects where certain treatments and/or medications are compared to each other during clinical trials. The CRA manages the daily business of including/excluding patients, keeping record of side-effects, results, keeping in contact with all the doctors/nurses etc who treat the patients. A CRA can be paid by a university or, more often I think, by a pharmaceutical company. I am not completely sure, but this could be something that I could learn to do and could enjoy. I am organized (at least: at work), I understand epidemiology and statistics well enough (and could learn more). I am not very extravert and don't like socializing a lot, that could be a problem. I also hate it when things aren't organized well or when there are errors in the data. I've struggled with an incomplete database with errors in it before, wasn't nice. So, maybe this will be an option if we do move to Germany.

ExpatERE

Post by ExpatERE »

Congrats on the total savings! I think I mentioned this before, but I'm going to repeat it. Tell your bf not to get discouraged if this first job he applied for doesn't come through. If this is the first time he has applied for a position for an expat job it may make it a little harder to get that first job. Companies like to see some experience as an expat and not just in the job itself. People have different abilities of adapting to new places and for some it just doesn't work out and they leave, costing the company recruiting expenses. My advice would be to keep your fingers crossed for this job, but be actively looking for others as well. Persevere....

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Hurrah! My boyfriend got an invitation today to come and talk about the job offer. They want him to show his skills with a test first and then there's a five person strong committee that wants to talk to him. Very scary, but exciting too! More later.