LiquidSapphire's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

$260,000 growing at a 4% annual rate compounded monthly, withdrawing a constant $1225 each month, lasts 370 months or about 30 years.
Uh, yeah... not starting a new "career" is looking a lot better all of a sudden, ya'll. :)

riparian

Post by riparian »

You can easily make $400/m on keen.com. It's a non-adult company where lonely people pay to talk to you.
I make a steady $700+/m doing one weekend/m of homecare (no qualifications except I'm personable).
Ummm, I have other ideas too if you're interested.
Just chillax and recover your bliss for a few months - it's hard not to find a way to make money once you're not stressed.

palmera

Post by palmera »

niiiiice. you're a great example for us all: the Man tries to screw you over and you just give him a big F YOU!

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

June 1, 2012
Not toooo much to report... I waited until the last minute to notify the agency of my choice not to move. I expect, based on how others before me have been handled, that I will receive 30 days notice of removal in about 6 weeks. It could happen sooner though; basically I am 31 days from being unemployed at any time.
I had a phone interview yesterday for a job that I knew was a long shot. We’ll see what happens with it. If I got the job, I’d take it just because I think I’d enjoy it, and I could do it for up to 5 years and be able to save enough to have a 3% SWR for an upgraded lifestyle. Anyway, we’ll see. I’m OK either way.
I have been playing with a lot of ideas this month. At first I was thinking about going back to school PT and taking an accounting job. I actually signed up for classes. But I just couldn’t get excited/wrap my head around going back to school. Bleh! What’s to be excited about in accounting! So I dropped the classes. I just don’t see myself taking another faceless office job right now. So I have stopped applying for faceless office jobs.
I think I am going to write a compilation book about my + my colleagues’ experiences. I don’t really expect to sell too many copies or make too much $ but it will be a fun project and now is the time, when my connections are strongest, since I may not be making any more. It’s also good because it’s something to do, I will enjoy it, and it’s short term, so I don’t have the pressure of choosing something for “the rest of my life” - it’s a good “right now” project. I’m starting interviews this month.
I thought about donating plasma but I decided not to pursue it very heavily. Maybe it will be something my mom and I do together once in a blue moon. You can’t make appointments and so you have to go and wait and give on a first come first served basis. It kills the deal for me if it takes 3-4 hours each time and you only get $20-$30 2x a week. Even if I did like surveys or something while I sat there on an iPad. Bleh. Might as well get a real job.
I am thinking about choosing four local charities and donating part day/one day per week to them and writing my book around the 4 volunteer gigs. I am thinking that might work for like 3-6 months. I am hoping to “find” my soul again. I’ve been feeling pretty dead/numb lately. I have basically forgotten what it feels like to be excited about work and what it’s like to give a shit. Maybe I’ll make some valuable networking connections, too, and it fills the gap on my resume. Also... I have an inkling of an idea that I may start my own non-profit. So this is a baby step in that direction to see if I even want to go there. Anyway it’s a transition plan, until I figure out what to do with myself.
I went to one of those financial seminars the other day that really heavily pushed index annunities. These people all ate it hook, line, and sinker! These poor seniors, they don’t know any better, and they’re so afraid of losing their money, they are just going to hand their money over. Unbelievable. Maybe *I* should get into this gig. People could certainly do worse, obviously. How do these people live with themselves, selling this shit? I really don’t understand.
Yeah so I am basically exploring my options, still. Options are very very nice to have. It really is true that money is freedom - I have purchased the freedom of choice. I could literally do ANYTHING right now, as long as it doesn’t cost too much, and it pays something net positive at some point down the road. That feels really good. It’s like, I can do almost anything, but I can’t do Nothing. At least, not forever. But that’s OK, actually. I don’t want to do Nothing, forever. I guess that is the definition of semi-retirement. So I guess I am about to embark upon semi-retirement? We’ll see...
I spent a bit more this month than usual, but I don’t really care. I just wasn’t really focused on saving this month, at all. Well I guess I did make one small change. I got an iPhone 4 as a gift, and so I loaded Talkatone and Google Voice on it. So I can make free Wifi calls now, and download my RSS Reader before I leave for the bus ride to work, so I don’t really need data hardly ever anymore. So I am going to change back to the Page Plus standard $80 plan. That $80 should last 12 months now. That’ll save 5-ish bucks each month.
===NUMBERS===
---EXPENSES---
Average from Jan 1 in parenthesis
Rent: 500 (500)

Natural Gas: 7 (23)

Internet: 12 (15)

Electricity: 20 (21)

Water/Sewer: 10 (9)

Trash/Storm Drainage/Parks: 10 (10)

Groceries: 140 (210)

Medical: 87 (98)

Restaurants/Recreation: 143 (113)

Stuff: 346 (158)

Charity: 20 (22)

Cat: 0 (12)

Transportation: 0 (14)

Gifts: 137 (41)

Cell Phone: 12 (2)

Netflix: 9 (10)

Liquor: 15 (12)

Untracked: 52 (10)

Anomaly: $249 for item I am trying out in possibility of starting an online business. I don’t know if I will keep it yet or not. I am keeping it out of the #s below for now. If I keep it I will add it in later.

TOTAL: 1520 (1282)
---Income---

Day Job Net: 5791.56

Interest/Dividends: 84.82

CC/Checking Rewards: 0

Side hustle: 32.40

Employer HSA Contribution 62.50

Employer TSP Match: 348.80

TOTAL: 6320.08 (6846.58)
---SUMMARY---

Savings %: 76.1 (80.8)

Net Worth: 214726.67

13.98 Years of Average Monthly Expenses

pooablo

Post by pooablo »

Hey LiquidSapphire,
I am interested to see where your life takes you next. :)
I wanted to let you know that my friend was also having a rough time at work and had decided to quit a couple of weeks ago. It was a tough decision for him at the time but he had the emergency funds on hand to make the leap. Within two weeks he got his dream job offer and will be starting his new job this week. It was the best decision he had ever made!
Things do have a way of working out. Keep on truckin'.

anomie

Post by anomie »

Hi LiquidSapphire,
A question about drawing unemployment as someone mentioned that possibility.
Would you qualify if you quit your job?

Or would your employer have fire you?

Restated, under what conditions would you qualify for unemployment compensation?
best of luck to you.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

@anomie - I would ordinarily not qualify if I quit, but my colleague recently won her appeal for unemployment benefits (initially denied due to quitting) because she was able to show a level of abuse that the State of Colorado supported her quitting. So that's in my favor. Usually you have to be fired/laid off without fault of your own which is what I am angling for (not for performance reasons). Eligibility is too complicated to type here but I believe I'd be eligible since I am being fired due to unwillingness to relocate to the DC area. You should check out your state's website for that as every state is different.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

===NUMBERS===

---EXPENSES---

Average from Jan 1 in parenthesis

Rent: 500 (500)

Natural Gas: 7 (20)

Internet: 12 (15)

Electricity: 21 (21)

Water/Sewer: 12 (10)

Trash/Storm Drainage/Parks: 10 (10)

Groceries: 203 (209)

Medical: 87 (96)

Restaurants/Recreation: 138 (118)

Stuff: 79 (126)

Charity: 25 (23)

Cat: 25 (14)

Transportation: 51 (20)

Gifts: 36 (40)

Cell Phone: 80 (15)

Netflix: 9 (10)

Liquor: 11 (12)

Untracked: 40 ? (15)

TOTAL: 1346 (1297)
---Income---

Day Job Net: 5791.56

Interest/Dividends: 407.99

Side hustle: 25

Employer HSA Contribution: 62.50

Employer TSP Match: 348.8

TOTAL: 6635.85 (6811.46)
---SUMMARY---

Savings %: 79.7 (80.6)

Net Worth: 225925.87

14.51 Years of Average Monthly Expenses

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

July 1, 2012
I egged my supervisor on to issue me the proposal to remove me from service so she did. I don’t think it would have happened yet if I didn’t poke her with sharp sticks, figuratively speaking. I partially wanted to see if she really would issue it or if she was just playing a giant game of chicken to try to get me to find a different job. I also was tired of “waiting” around and just wanted to get the ball rolling already. One thing that bodes well for me is that someone who outright quit won their appeal for unemployment due to the abusive work environment. So the first test of a 3rd party review was successful. We’re not crazy! These people are evil! Now I’m waiting on their “final” decision on whether or not to remove me which will contain the final date of employment. Anyway, this whole mess has completely changed my attitude for the worse (didn’t realize that was possible); since I am now a short timer the work situation has become MUCH LESS TOLERABLE. I am sooo ready to be gone. Whose bright idea was it to make this thing stretch on past 4 MONTHS? It’s like being forced to live with your retarded sociopathic ex for 4 months after he dumped you, but you have to continue to say “please,” “yes, dear”, “how high [should I jump]?” and “whatever you say, dear.” If it wasn’t for the unemployment checks that will follow and the severance pay I would have quit already. My stress level is pretty high right now and bleeding into my disposition in other areas of my life. I think once work is not a factor it will start going down again so I am very much looking forward to that.
I don’t know what the next step is, but I am excited and ready to take it. I don’t know what date the big day will be but right now I suspect mid-August. So I have 6 looooooooooooong weeks to go. I don’t even care about the salary anymore. I sure hope to leave sooner. I just want to move on with my life already. The unemployment/vacation/severance pay alone will probably have me covered for about 2 years to figure all of it out, without having to draw on other savings. Man, that’s awesome.
Assuming that I’m right about the big day, between cashing out 325 hours of vacation and my severance pay, I should be able to start Semi-ERE with 270Kish in assets and also some amount of unemployment each month. This is roughly 18-19 years of current expenses for me. I’ll defer the student loans - they’re all subsidized so Uncle Sam is on the hook for up to 3 years of interest payments. No sweat there. We’ll revisit them later. With PPACA, as long as my MAGI is under $15Kish a year, I’ll qualify for Medicaid as of 2014. My limited research seems to indicate that income above that 15K does not count if you use it in the following ways: 401K contributions, IRA deductions, HSA deposits, some self-employment taxes, other retirement plan contributions, health insurance deductions, student loan interest, and tuition. So you could easily throw in 17K into retirement, $3150 into your HSA, and pay for health insurance, AND still make 15K on top of it, and STILL qualify for Medicaid. allll right! You know, MMM would probably say I’m good to go for a full on “Mustachian” retirement (which sounds a lot like semi-retirement) http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/05/ ... etirement/. I’m projecting somewhere around a 5% withdrawal rate. Wow did I hit that fast! I didn’t think I was financially ready for semi-ERE but.... I guess I am! Woohoo! And to think I was going to spend another 16 months in that hellhole. 6 weeks from now I am sitting pretty! I have my whole life ahead of me and I can’t wait! Semi-retired at 29.5. Kickass. I’ll take it.
Thank you Jacob for writing your blog and planting the idea in my head that semi-retirement/retirement at an early age was possible. This point in my life would be much, much more difficult without your influence. You really changed my life for the better and made a difference for me and I am so grateful.
Thank you forum for listening to me the past year+ and providing me with your thoughts and wisdom. I don’t want to list screennames because there are so many I will certainly leave someone out, but you guys are awesome!

Phayen

Post by Phayen »

Wooo! This is a welcome post on a Monday morning. Glad to hear you'll be free in just a SHORT 6 weeks. (relative to my 18 years to go...) Just use the time to think about how you'll spend the rest of your life :)

palmera

Post by palmera »

happy dance!

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

As I am about to switch from accumulation to withdrawals, I am pondering basically 3 possible strategies.
1) 5% Cash (1 year's expenses), 70-75% Dividend Stocks (straddling taxable and tax advantaged accounts), 20-25% Other, tax advantaged (bonds? something as negatively correlated with Large Cap stocks as possible)
2) 100% Permanent Portfolio. 5% Cash, 20% Thrift Savings Plan G Fund (weighted average yield of all outstanding Treasury notes and bonds with 4 or more years to maturity, but the actual underlying security is "special" short term government bonds just for the TSP), 25% TLT or 30Y Treasury Bonds purchased directly, 25% IAU or SGOL, 25% TSP C Fund (S&P500 Index) and TSP S Fund (Small Cap Index)
3) 39% VWIAX (37% stocks, 62% bonds), 5% Cash, 10% REIT, 34% stocks split among large cap, small cap, international, 6% Bond Index (TSP F Fund), 4% Special Treasuries (TSP G Fund). My attempt to get the dividend yield of #1 with the increased safety of #2.
#3 sounded like an awesome idea yesterday but today #2 sounds like a better idea. Stability will be key for me as I cannot anticipate earning this amount of money so quickly/easily again. Wealth preservation is paramount. However, my biggest fear is missing a huge run up in stocks sometime soon. #1 intimidates me. A lot. My biggest fear is that if I am not attached to the financial news every day, I will miss something big and lose lots and lots of money before I can react. and #3 well... I don't know. It feels sorta stupid.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

"My biggest fear is that if I am not attached to the financial news every day, I will miss something big and lose lots and lots of money before I can react."
Build yourself a test portfolio of dividend stocks that you would have held in 2007 (through in BofA and GE for good measure) and then look at:

1) total dividend income 2007 vs. 2011

2) portfolio value 2007 vs. 2011
Yes, it will suffer from hindsight bias, but the results might surprise you.
I feel that you're worrying about stock prices more than worrying about income.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

George - Thanks for the idea. Clever! I'd actually like to do that. Can you recommend a source for locating thorough historical data in 2007? Of course most sites focus on "today"... also do you know of a source where I can throw in such a basket of stocks with a purchase date of say 5 years ago and see how much it is worth today, including dividends?
Yeah I am a little afraid of everything lately but I am trying to be brave/excited in front of the great unknown :) It has been a psychologically trying journey and continues to be so.
I know that rationally selling capital gains vs. getting dividends is somewhat the same but somehow dividends are psychologically easier to withdraw. I believe currently though dividends are favored tax-wise for the amount I'd be taking. Man I am so behind the curve as far as knowledge required in order to implement #1! I have no idea what constitutes a "good" price for any of the big dividend payers. Should I just pay whatever the current price is just to get it over with? Also it occured to me after posting that "stop loss" orders would be of benefit. But when does a "good" price become "bad"? And what about the fact that the media has been singing the praises of dividend payers lately? I fear they are media darlings and therefore currently overpriced since everyone and their brother is buying them since there are really no other options with interest rates being so low.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

http://finance.yahoo.com will have downloadable historical prices & dividends for currently traded stocks. Enter a ticker symbol, which calls up the current summary, then click on the "historical" link in the left menu bar.
Not sure how you can find info for stocks that have gone belly-up (e.g. Washington Mutual, Enron).
> But when does a "good" price become "bad"?
Relative history can be a guide... viewtopic.php?t=2120 :-)

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

My $0.02
First, congrats on your impending release from Prison :-). Great Job (I mean great outcome..not the Job itself ;-)
Second, I've found that my investments do better when I do not listen to the financial news on a regular basis. I used to see financial news and read WSJ daily for hours. Ever since I've stopped doing both (couple of years) there is less fear chatter going on in my brain..TV especially was terrible with all the talking heads just pounding their crap into my head to the point I couldn't separate out their thoughts from my own. I've reduced the constant tinkering and tweaking of my portfolio and the results have been better. Same for the doomer type financial blogs.
Third, given the amount of current stress in your workplace, I would not make any major investing decisions in this mindset. Rather use the time to learn some common valuation techniques...for fun..take some dividend paying company and come up with your own valuation of what you think it might be worth and what margin of safety/confidence you might want to put around your conviction.
I've increasingly come to believe that success in investing for the common investor is 80% EQ and 20% IQ. I think my investment returns would have been better if I were more calm/wise/equanimous than trying to worry about market run-ups and crashes that I might miss/avoid - leave that to the hedge funds, High Frequency trading algorithms and Wall Street.

ExpatERE

Post by ExpatERE »

LS, I'm a little late but congrats on such liberating news! I know the job situation has been unbearable for you for awhile now. I'm happy to see you get a chance to make a change.
Wish you the best in the coming weeks.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

Thanks everyone :) Thanks George, phayen, pooablo, Expat, Freedom for chiming in lately, I appreciate your feedback.
I spent a lot of time thinking about this and I am leaning toward Permanent Portfolio.
Reasons:

1) It backtests pretty well (insert caveat on past performance does not equal future performance)

2) It's easy to implement. I could basically be done in the course of one day.

3) You don't have to rebalance much.

4) It is emotionless.

5) You don't have to do a lot of research for maintenance and well, I'm sort of lazy. I just can't get excited about researching a bunch of stocks over, and over, and over.

6) I am paralyzed by uncertain/unfamiliar markets. In 2008 I did not do a damned thing. First, I wasn't even aware of the crash for a few days. Then, I became aware, and a little freaked out, but I stayed the course. I held my assets. I did not rebalance. I saw the possibility of a huge opportunity but I wasn't sure if it was really an opportunity or if it was "sky is falling". I did not "pounce" on anything other than just increase my TSP contribution to max and even that was nervewracking. Having a strong "system" or "plan of action" for any set of conditions is preferable for my temperament, I think. I think my temperament is better suited for PP rather than Dividend Growth investing.

7) The wealth preservation it has is absolutely phenomenal and amazing (in the past).
I STILL have no "final" date of employment but once I get it I will rebalance to a full PP.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I've somewhat rebalanced into the PP.
Stocks 28.4%

Bonds 20.7%

Gold 21.5%

Cash 29.4%
Difficulties with balancing amongst taxable, tax-deferred, and Roth accounts made it hard to hit 25/25/25/25. Mainly the fact that I have no Bond/Gold options in my tax-deferred was the main barrier.
When I get more cash infusions to tip me to 35% next month or so in the Cash category I will buy more bonds and gold.
Still no word... I'm being thoroughly ignored which is not a bad outcome at the moment, all things considered, better ignored than harassed.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

Never mind, just got the letter, August 10 is my last day!

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0 ... 72105.jpeg