Tyler9000's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
jennypenny

Re: Tyler9000's Journal

Post by jennypenny »

I think it's a great sketch. Like drawing your own postcard.

I'm reading your journal (and others) with a keen eye on this kind of thing. DH has been traveling for almost 20 years, and I could set my watch by his Sunday night routine. I worry that when I finally convince him to retire, he'll have a coronary the first Sunday night that he *can't* do his usual routine.

Enjoy your last week!

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Thanks JP. It's been nice so far. :)

I had an interesting conversation today I wanted to share. Today is opening day for the NBA, and I'm more excited about it than I've been in years. For reference, I used to be a massive Dallas Mavericks fan (all the way back to the three J's days before they were good) where I watched every minute of every game and even ran a small website dedicated to them in college. But for the last few years, basketball has basically been totally off my radar. Life got in the way, and my passion grew cold.

I told that to a coworker over lunch, and she quickly replied (in a very friendly way) something along the lines of "Well duh -- now you have nothing better to do than to watch lots of basketball." I thought about it for a second, and said "You're right!" What I didn't say out loud but made me smile internally was how stumbling over her word "better" made me immediately rate a Dirk 3-pointer vs. going back to the office, and I heard the crowd cheering in my head. Also, the beauty of not working the majority of my day is that I no longer need to choose between watching basketball and other activities, better or not. I can always make time for what makes me happy.

I was a basketball fan long before I was an engineering fan. Now that work responsibilities are off the table, basketball has room to rise back to the top. At least for one day, I feel like a kid again.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Something to consider is that [most of the] world is tailored towards such activities being done in people's sparetime. I found that it's hard to turn what most of the world considers a sparetime project into a full time "occupation". Consequently, you either need to fill your day with several such sparetime projects or find something else that can be a fulltime project or just be good at relaxing(*). Solely based on personal observations, mileage may vary.

(*) I'm not.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Tyler9000 wrote:I had an interesting conversation today I wanted to share. Today is opening day for the NBA, and I'm more excited about it than I've been in years. For reference, I used to be a massive Dallas Mavericks fan (all the way back to the three J's days before they were good) where I watched every minute of every game and even ran a small website dedicated to them in college. But for the last few years, basketball has basically been totally off my radar. Life got in the way, and my passion grew cold.

I told that to a coworker over lunch, and she quickly replied (in a very friendly way) something along the lines of "Well duh -- now you have nothing better to do than to watch lots of basketball." I thought about it for a second, and said "You're right!" What I didn't say out loud but made me smile internally was how stumbling over her word "better" made me immediately rate a Dirk 3-pointer vs. going back to the office, and I heard the crowd cheering in my head. Also, the beauty of not working the majority of my day is that I no longer need to choose between watching basketball and other activities, better or not. I can always make time for what makes me happy.

I was a basketball fan long before I was an engineering fan. Now that work responsibilities are off the table, basketball has room to rise back to the top. At least for one day, I feel like a kid again.
Totally OT from another fan...
We were in Vancouver right after the Mavs won in 2011. My husband looks a little like Nowitzki, and a lot of the staff at the hotel seemed convinced he was Dirk traveling in disguise. Every time we went through the lobby, you could hear the staff mumbling "Nowitzki" and they'd trip over themselves to get us free drinks or hail us a cab or just push the elevator button for us. It was really funny. We've never been treated so well at a hotel. :lol:

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

jennypenny wrote: Totally OT from another fan...
We were in Vancouver right after the Mavs won in 2011. My husband looks a little like Nowitzki, and a lot of the staff at the hotel seemed convinced he was Dirk traveling in disguise. Every time we went through the lobby, you could hear the staff mumbling "Nowitzki" and they'd trip over themselves to get us free drinks or hail us a cab or just push the elevator button for us. It was really funny. We've never been treated so well at a hotel. :lol:
Ha! That's awesome. I also imagine he's got Halloween covered in a pinch -- throw on some sunglasses and a jersey peeking out from under a coat, and Undercover Dirk would probably earn some extra candy, too.

@Jacob -- good point. It'll be interesting to see how my days start to fill out. I sorta like the idea of trying several spare time activities early on. Eventually one may stick and grow into something bigger, and I'll have time to figure out how to scale it.

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Tyler9000 wrote: Thanks JP. It's been nice so far. :)
What I didn't say out loud but made me smile internally was how stumbling over her word "better" made me immediately rate a Dirk 3-pointer vs. going back to the office, and I heard the crowd cheering in my head.
Sweet! That's probably the best type of motivation.

Btw, I really wish I had the drawing knack, you're a lucky man. I couldn't draw if you paid me, but you should see the powerpoint presentations I used to put together =).

chicago81

Post by chicago81 »

Congratulations! This journal is a real source of inspiration for me.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

In the desire to turn the great Spoonman journal idea into a tradition, here’s my anthem to play while reading this particular post. I think it really captures the hope, joy, and longing in the journey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZRxYrByiXA

A Beautiful Day

My senior year in college, my girlfriend worked in the co-op placement office in the engineering building. She emailed me a flyer for an evening presentation to freshmen engineers from an engineering alumnus who worked at a local industrial design firm. She understood I was an unusually creative engineer and was searching for something different than my past buttoned-up co-op gigs at a large defense company, and knew exactly what I needed at that moment. Naturally, I showed up at the presentation and rubbed shoulders with the guy. A few weeks later, I had an interview.

I arrived early, and remember making a few laps around the block because I couldn't find the building. The company was spread out among several dilapidated buildings, and I missed the sign. Like me, they were in a state of transition and were in the process of moving to a beautiful new office nearby. The interview went well, and I started as an intern there right after the New Year. The company was wonderful, the industry was a revelation, and I had an offer for a full time job upon graduation. I consider that cold January day the start of my product design career, and the fall night crashing a presentation the opening credit.

Today, fifteen years later, I walked out of a similar design consultancy perhaps for the last time. I chose to make 2015 a truly remarkable year, planning a year-long sabbatical with the woman (now my wife) who pointed me to that late-night meeting so many years ago. It's a big transition year, and part of a grand experiment to put my hard-earned financial independence to the test. I have no idea how the story will end, but if this experience is half as enlightening as the one I was lucky enough to sweet-talk my way into all those years ago, I have a feeling it's going to be a life-changing year.

Leading up to this moment, I honestly felt a bit anxious with a tinge of denial. The last month has completely flown by, and for the last week I've been displacing my attention towards video games, sports, and pretty much anything to keep me from dwelling on the work situation. I can’t even put a finger on any specific fear – I think it’s just the general internal protective walls we build that don’t always react well to change. It culminated last night in not the most healthy way, as I let down my guard at a going-away happy hour and had entirely too much to drink. Fighting a hangover was not how I pictured my last day, but as the cloud lifted on my mind and body this afternoon so did my spirits.

By afternoon all tasks were completed, items were packed, and well-wishes were exchanged. I left quietly with a smile a bit early, leaving the others to their work. The sun was out, and I breathed in the cool, crisp air to clear the head. The only noise was wind blowing through the trees, and I felt very present in the moment. What a beautiful day!

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Congratulations Tyler!

I think you've done very well, especially the way you've handled the powerful feelings. Lesser souls would have come up with all sorts of lame excuses to not pull the trigger. The way I see it, if you are not feeling some sort of funk, which I think is healthy, then you would be doing something wrong.

Btw, excellent choice of song!

I wish you the best in this new chapter of your life!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

In case it's helpful, my final day was rather uneventful. I remember having to stay all day doing nothing but staring at my desk because all my access had been revoked. My boss kindly let me out an hour early though. My first Monday of not going to work felt very strange. I was highly productive. I remember polishing the faucets of the kitchen sink and enjoying that I had actually accomplished something that wasn't just a piece of paperwork. After my first month of not going to work, it felt like many months have passed(*), probably from the burst of new neuron activity that had been pent up spending time in a cubicle. After that, things normalized.

Good luck! :)

(*) This feeling indicates to me that I'm _alive_ and _living_. Conversely, not being able to remember whatever I just spent the past six months doing indicates to me that I'm "dead" and should probably change track ASAP.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Congratulations! I'm really enjoying your journal.

C40

Post by C40 »

jacob wrote:...... After my first month of not going to work, it felt like many months have passed(*),

(*) This feeling indicates to me that I'm _alive_ and _living_. Conversely, not being able to remember whatever I just spent the past six months doing indicates to me that I'm "dead" and should probably change track ASAP.
Oh god, this hits home for me. When someone at work asks me "where were you last week?", I draw a blank 30-50% of the time and it takes me a few seconds just to remember what factory I was in. My brain is telling me "Whatever, man. We don't fucking care!"

This also depends a LOT on how interested I am - how "in to" my work I am. Some things, I can remember all these tiny little details including exact words that people say. For other things, I forget them right away. A strong interest in what I'm doing enables me to be SO much more effective.

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

jacob wrote: I remember polishing the faucets of the kitchen sink and enjoying that I had actually accomplished something that wasn't just a piece of paperwork.
LOL!

I think I'm still in that phase. I'm taking great pleasure in keeping our place tidy.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Day One : They Still Suspect Nothing

It's 2pm on a Monday afternoon, and despite waking up at 10 I've already accomplished more than I often do on a normal workday and am just getting started. @Jacob -- I can definitely see where you're coming from.

The morning started with coffee and the iPad on the sofa with my cat, who seems fine with the typical Saturday routine bleeding into other days. Then I got in a morning bike ride around the neighborhood, where I quickly discovered my physical fitness does not yet match my enthusiasm. Luckily, I have plenty of time to work my way up.

Riding through a suburban neighborhood in the middle of the day is strangely peaceful. It's so quiet with very little traffic (except for a short burst at noon for the lunch crowd), and the people you do see milling about all seem far less in a hurry than you're used to dealing with at this time of day. The stress-free environment had an immediate positive impact, in fact -- while just relaxing at a park bench for a few minutes and enjoying the world around me, I discovered a public water fountain a ways from my home with a great filtered water tap for filling up a water bottle. I know it doesn't sound like much, but when biking in August in Texas something as simple as a water fountain is a goldmine. It's funny how you can live somewhere for two years, but little things stay hidden until you take the time to see and process new information.

After the workout I had a shower and a nice lunch, which was much healthier and tastier than my normal work menu. Even eating after working out rather than after sitting at a computer for several hours changes your tastes for the better. I helped the DW do some laundry, picked up a thing or two, and finally sat down in a chair for the first time to write this post.

Notably, work has not called. They must not have noticed that I'm playing hooky today. Joyriding around the neighborhood on my bike while I should really be making a powerpoint presentation or filling out a TPS report feels pretty subversive, and surely someone will eventually notice and write me up or something. Until that happens, I think I'm just gonna lay low and enjoy life on the lam. ;)

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Paper Trophies

I’ve come to realize that my career has been somewhat unique relative to my peers. I earned a degree in mechanical engineering mostly because I wanted to make stuff, but rather than following the more common path of signing up with a local large engineering company and working towards a specialization, I managed to carve out a pretty good niche for myself as a creative guy who could solve any kind of problem. I like to think I’ve been apprenticing as a renaissance engineer, with the ability to design and manufacture most any non-scientific mechanical product to a successful level in functionality, usability, and aesthetics.

But being a renaissance man in a corporate world has its drawbacks. At one point I was left for the first time unemployed and shopping my wares on the open market. I approached the problem like the best designers I knew, and assembled a visual portfolio of my best work to send along with my engineering resume. I still remember the feedback from my first headhunter. “Umm… are you a designer or an engineer? I can’t tell which category you fit in by what you provided. Can you just send me your employment history in Word format?” It was then that I learned that most of the world does not think like a small, flexible consultancy with the confidence to design anything. No – you must know your role. I ignored his advice, and am the better man for it.

Today was a rainy day, so I took the opportunity to do a very therapeutic exercise that I’d recommend for any recent retiree. I updated my resume. Don’t get the wrong idea – I have no intention of sending it to anyone. It’s more a matter of reflecting on each job I’ve had to date and putting a nice decorative bow on my product design career. There’s just something very rewarding about summarizing all of my proudest work accomplishments, picking the best photos of my favorite products, and at the end of it all adding a prominent “Phase One” to the header for full effect. Honestly, I’m sorta tempted to frame it and hang it on the wall.

However, just because I’m finding closure with Phase One does not mean I’m hanging up my Renaissance Engineer mindset. To the contrary! For example, perhaps my most lasting design to date has been the personal system I designed and tweaked for years (with good advice from others like Jacob, of course) for sustainable financial independence. It’s a very systems engineering approach to a non-traditional engineering problem, and has been damn rewarding. Like ditching the single-minded headhunter years ago, breaking the engineering mold is part of who I am. I’m just taking it to the next level, and hope that the expanded sandbox outside of the traditional profit-seeking fences will present many fun and interesting new opportunities for design.

I wonder what my next resume on the wall will look like.

C40

Post by C40 »

Tyler9000 wrote:Paper Trophies
There’s just something very rewarding about summarizing all of my proudest work accomplishments, picking the best photos of my favorite products, and at the end of it all adding a prominent “Phase One” to the header for full effect. Honestly, I’m sorta tempted to frame it and hang it on the wall.
That reminded me of something I read a while back - about a guy who, after he retired, put something about his old job/boss on his wall (I can't remember exactly - it may have been a picture of his old boss, or an email). The story, or my interpretation of it, reflected on thoughts of:
- A reminder of the world he left behind - of how his life has changed since then
- A reference point for how much his life has changed since working for that guy
- A reminder of how much more he enjoys not having to work for someone - and to do what is needed to not have to again
- A reminder of how nice it is to not have someone else acting as your master, and to appreciate his own life every day.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

@C40 -- I like that idea, too. I know I have photos of the inside of a Chinese conference room, the cramped seats on a plane, and me in a taxi shuttling between factories. I could make several interesting photo collections of work life. It could even be an interesting subject for a painting. Thanks for the inspiration!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I dunno. I think it's better to look forward, not backwards. I don't have pictures of myself with my leg bandaged up near my treadmill. I have a picture from when I finished my first race.

I guess everyone is different and responds to different motivation.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

@jennypenny -- yeah, that's true. DW had the same reaction. ;)

My painting idea is less personal than it sounds -- more like depicting some of the drudgery of office life in an artful way. Dilbert does the same thing, albeit with a funny twist. In any case, I have several other ideas ahead of it in the queue, and that one will need time to simmer to get the tone right.

I don't really have much issue looking back. I have no regrets. But I agree that embracing a negative motivation (like a bad boss hanging on the wall) probably isn't the healthiest mindset. I have lots of pictures from my work travels already on the walls -- all the beautiful and fun memories.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

That's cool. I didn't mean for my comment to sound so serious. I just think it's healthier to move towards something instead of away from something. I also think when people define themselves by not working as much as they previously defined themselves by working, "work" is still playing too big a role.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. Maybe I should add it to that other thread. :lol: