Has anyone else had weird expenses this month?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

I applied for a passport- $135

Ran out of paint, replaced them and some brushes- $120

Bought tickets to a concert in April- $110
The concert tickets were the hardest to justify (to myself), but I should get $55 of it back when I find someone to go with and they buy their ticket off me.
What unexpected expenses have you had lately?

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

$129 for a boxed set of Beatles CDs at Amazon.com. Totally unexpected! ;)

mike

Post by mike »

$763 for some wine from my company sale. Pretty good deal but idea being that will last me a long time/can be used for holiday gifting etc. Hate giving and getting 'stuff' over the holidays.
Wine/food I can consume.

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

Have managed to spend very little this month except for transportation expenses that popped up - just dropped ~$200 for six months of insurance (OK, that was expected) and $100+ for a new battery and used alternator for my delivery car.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

This month?
~$2700 annual property tax bill (planned for)

..$250 lighting fixtures for the 1400 sq ft workshop (getting off my duff & completing the finishing work)

B

Post by B »

I have been forced to work long hours so I have dropped out of my carpool during this crunch time. That means very high fuel expense.
And to think, I used to bike to work! Then they moved my office out of town. Oh, and no, I don't get overtime. Sweet ERE can't come soon enough.

S

Post by S »

This month was a money disaster. First, the engine burned up in our car (gasket failed on interstate). Rather than pay $4000 to put in a new engine I finally convinced DH we could go car-free again. Sold the car for parts, so it was like losing $3000 and we had to rent a car to get to our next destination. Then I had to pay $4700 for first month / last month / deposit on an apartment. I should make most of that back once we get roommates to live in the other two bedrooms though.

Maus

Post by Maus »

Two trips to soCal in November, so about $200 extra for gas. One hellaciously delicious but expensive Japanese dinner for a friend who did me a huge favor; so $140 with big Sapporo x3, tip and tax. That latter splurge won't happen again for at least the next seven months to amortize it to $20 per month, which is more reflective of my dining out budget.

zork97

Post by zork97 »

An unexpected $5 lunch at Chinese restaurant which served Burmese khao soi.
Didn't fill my stomach but was so bloody amazing!

Rex

Post by Rex »

$375 for a pair of basketball tickets and parking pass for a friend of mine; was given a $50 bonus in addition to the cost as a thank you, since he'd asked quite a few people to be on the lookout for the tickets for him.
Aside from that, I was somewhat bad at the flea market, though I don't mind it: $2 for a new copy of Watership Down, and $1 for a mint Coca Cola bottle opener dating back to the 1970s. For some reason, I take a liking to the openers, though I honestly only purchased it because I'd been at the flea market for a couple hours and felt like I had to get at least something small, and it also works as a small piece of personalization for my room, which is otherwise lacking in it. With that said, I don't drink, so I have no real use for it. Eh, I'm not crying over a single dollar, though I am trying to limit my text messages per month to cut down on my monthly bill; I want it lower than the current $33/month that it's costing.

Q

Post by Q »

Motorcycle and assorted items, pre-paid Turkey day trip, goes on and on...but outside of the weird, all normal expenses have gone down thankfully.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Uhm yeah ...
3/8 male to 3/8 male flare union

3/8 male flare to 3/8 barb fit

3/8 male flare to 3/8 NPT union

Gas regulator with an integral vent limiter

A few feet of clear vinyl hose

Rectorseal number 5.
Before this month I didn't even know what most of this meant, so ...

RightClawSouth

Post by RightClawSouth »

Tubing, flares, barbs, and "rectorseal"?? Am I the only one who thinks this sounds painful? :)

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

$399 Divorce Filing Expenses.
Not unexpected though.

ishidav

Post by ishidav »

moving $$$

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

$1,000,000 - ransom to Dr. Evil to prevent destruction of earth.

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

I've had a few this month, which is odd for me. I'm usually within $50.00 of my budget almost every month like clockwork.
Unfortunately, I had a tax bill this month of over $300. I also had my car battery fail, which set me back about $50. I also purchased a domain name for my new blog/website, but that was only $10. My budget is going to be way off this month. :(