How to Dive the Barrier Reef for Cheap

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
slowtraveler

How to Dive the Barrier Reef for Cheap

Post by slowtraveler »

Hello,

I was planning on diving the Barrier Reef later in my life but realized I probably don't have too much time before she disappears so I'm going to try and get over there this year. Does anyone know of how to dive there for cheap?

The cheapest solution I found was to camp at the national parks and free dive with my own mask and fins. This will cost food, water, and camping permits once I've gotten there. Ferries to and from some islands don't seem too expensive as long as I avoid the resorts. I haven't found volunteer for diving unless I have an instructor's certificate but all I have is an open water diver certificate so free diving is the best I've found for cheap so far.

Stahlmann

Re: How to Dive the Barrier Reef for Cheap

Post by Stahlmann »

Interesting topic on "example level". I wanted to start it on different "fancy hobbies".

My "solutions":
1. Pay for it. ERE is not only about sacrifices.

In this category you should also consider: grouping your fee (I mean we have something like collectible buy of the service in my country), doing it after off-season (2-3 days can make the difference in price), using your whatever sale ticket, buying in bulk (more hours of diving), being more persuasive in price ask etc.

[Argh.. One more time I did not read whole topic before reply :lol:, I also do not have total image of your current situation, so I will be guessing; following part will be more well-thought].

2. Barter the service for something other.

There, I need more instructions :D We come to this "jacob-example" (sailing). Is it really so easy? (in "fancy" area, where there is this demand for sailors). I can not imagine myself in the following dialogue: ,,-I want to [for example] clean your toilets in exchange for sailing course. -Find a job loser! :D"

3. Change perspective.

Can you post-pone it? We have many different reefs in the world you can enjoy.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Thanks for the ideas Stahlmann:

1) I may have to do this for some scuba diving when free diving feels limiting or at remote sites. I could live aboard a boat and get multiple dives each day for somewhere around $200/day. If I get 4 dives a day at $200, $50 a dive isn't too bad as long as I keep a low amount of days. Maybe once I get there I will find better rates and have a better position to negotiate during the slow days or volunteer in exchange for future dives on the busy days.

2) I am a strong swimmer but not sailor. I'm very open to learning and young so maybe I'll find a short term apprentice/volunteer position there diving and researching the corals while cultivating sailing skills or more realistically, cleaning gear/dishes/toilets with a touch of the former.

3) Very true. The Great Barrier has a special place in my heart as something I've always wanted to see so it's worth some premium to see it while it's still alive. There are global bleaching events occurring more frequently (annually since 2014) and they spread further south along the Australian coast in 2017. Some reefs remain largely untouched (waters that have stayed cool) but the Great Barrier Reef will likely be a casualty.

I was planning to visit Yucatan at the end of this year and there are some reefs there but nowhere near as massive.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Crocodiles, sea snakes, and the world famous box jellies are all factors I have to learn to account for but have no experience with. Will see how I perform on multi day hikes locally but dive boat with experienced crew seems a wise way to go about this.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

As apparent from my avatar image, I share your same passion for diving.
Now that I am working and generating excess cash I'm slowly building up my resume, my next step is the dive master certification with PADI.
Dive Master allows you to work, taking out groups of people. I would guess that in peak season, dive centers would be happy to have an extra dive master on hand, hence you could dive for free or even make a bit of money.
It is a profession after all, so it should be very easy to do it for free in exchange for better time flexibility or less obligations in general.
I already know of two dive centers that I have a good relationship with that they would provide me food and basic shelter if I decided to work for them when I'm certified.
Could this be a good idea for you?

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

New ideas I stumbled upon:
If you are far away from your "housing", let your friends/family rent it to somebody (I hope that your personal stuff in home country doesn't hold you back from this!).
If you travel "millennial"-style (I hope you didn't paid for package holiday :D ), take a hustle in the area you are now.

I still haven't checked your "story" here (sorry for that ;); EDIT: I did! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5884 probably oudated), but sweating for 200-600$ if you have skills to save 50-70% in your home country isn't worth losing "the experience" (being smart in somebody's case :lol: with his money).

EDIT continued:
I think you should maximize your "enjoymnet" in California (after you come back here).
Many people would kill themselves for "living the dream" here.
Take in mind, for example my friends came there in summer programmes "Work and Travel" and pushed really hard to spend their time here.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

@Seppia
That could be a really good idea. I'm either getting Advanced Diver certified, living in Yosemite, or getting to the Great Barrier Reef this coming fall. This may put me at 2 classes away-Rescue Diver and Master Diver. Teaching people about nature in a gorgeous environment has been something I've thought would be a fulfilling job. My plan before learning about the bleaching was to dive the Cenotes in Mexico in January so there are probably the next level classes offered wherever I go.

I contacted the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority and they pointed me to http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/get-involved/j ... ganisation and http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/managing-the-r ... management under "sources of information" to find volunteer organizations. So maybe there is a cheap, safe way to do this with people who understand the reef without extra class time but I'll have to reach out and I'm sure the extra credentials will only help.

@Stahlmann
Haha! That story is very outdated. Short version: I ended up working from my computer with the same employer I've been with for a long time when I realized there was more opportunity there than with anything in school. I realized I could get the FEIE by moving abroad so I was planning on hiking Yosemite/Sequoias or taking an outdoor survival and a scuba class (both include multi-day trips) till the year end, but realized I don't have as much time as I thought to see the Great Barrier Reef.

My Aus friend is highly recommending to wait until next year to avoid the hurricane season so maybe waiting and see California's mountains is the best solution.