Best times to thrift store shop for clothes?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Best times to thrift store shop for clothes?

Post by TopHatFox »

What are some good times of the year to thrift for clothes or other items? Feel free to chime in with ideas!

Laura Ingalls

Re: Best times to thrift store shop for clothes?

Post by Laura Ingalls »

A former coworker who liked to thrift always said the first of the year was a good time as people de clutter and that affluent itemizers donate for the tax deduction.

I look for bag sales where you can fill a bag for $3 or $5. Church and charity garage sales often do that the last day of an annual sale. What I like about that system is that I don't feel obligated to try stuff on and I take more risks and push my "style" boundaries a bit. I just redonate all the stuff that doesn't "spark joy" :D i.e. Duds.

TheRedHare

Post by TheRedHare »

I would guess sometime during the spring because of Spring Cleaning? I should start taking advantage of thrift stores myself actually.
I would also try a week or two after a big holiday because so many people acquire more stuff during those times, and then they think: "huh, I really need to get rid of this stuff so I can fit my new stuff"

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Funny question. I just got back home from Silicon Valley and I love the Goodwill on El Camino near 85. I buy Stanford shirts there. I refuse to pay the high price at the student store on campus up the street. Students and alums dump new shirts there all the time.

I got four really good shirts. All embroidered with "S" logos. When I go out and do this in LA all I see are USC shirts.

Here is the funny buying pattern I'll share. I looked on the racks and I saw no men's Stanford shirts in M or L. Then I start wandering around the kids, women's and jackets section. Oddly I find four men's L shirts. Priced at $4-7. Men's polo microfiber deals. UA, Nike etc all with the logo. Some say Alumni which is cool.

Funny I found them in all the wrong places. Good thing I spent some time looking through the other racks.

Then I get to the register. The clerk starts ringing me up "oh, good blue tag, that's 25% off, oh yellow, that's half off! Good."

Some wiseguy Stanford grad must be hoarding all the shirts at the Sunnyvale Store and hiding them in the other racks where they won't be found by perspective buyers. Then they come back for discount day.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought about this forum when I figured this out.