Best packable permanent alternative for a matress?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
dirt

Re: Best packable permanent alternative for a matress?

Post by dirt »

Has brute considered adding extra material under just one half of his pillow, so he could switch sides of the pillow when rolling between back and side sleeping?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute has considered, but not tried it. it seems that the pillow issue has mostly resolved itself. this whole week, brute's been sleeping fine with his regular old pillow. maybe it was just a matter of getting used to it after the mattress change.

brighteye

Post by brighteye »

I am in the process of removing the need for a pillow altogether, by gradually reducing the pillow thickness so that your body can adapt.
Katy Bowman inspired me to do this.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute is generally more of a cold turkey strategist, but with pillows, it seems to really take a while. maybe neck muscles need to change.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

You shouldn't need a pillow when sleeping on your back, but it is better to have something supporting your neck if you're sleeping on your side. A towel works fine and you can leave it next to your head so you don't have make a production out of changing sleeping positions. Fold the end over a little so there is a bigger hump under your neck than under your head.

You'll be more comfortable either way if you have your knees supported. Keep something under your knees when you're on your back and between your knees if you roll to your side. Again, a towel is enough although I prefer a little memory foam instead. I got this advice from my ortho when he was treating me for neck problems (occipital neuralgia). I couldn't believe that a pillow under my knees could cure my neck issues but it did within a month (along with a little PT).

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

BRUTE wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:42 pm
...where do humans live that are 3 feet wide but only 5 feet tall?
Denmark... :oops:

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I also sleep on a z lite thermarest. I've experimented with using a pillow and not. I'm currently in favor of using a regular pillow ( I am mainly a side sleeper). Anything rolled up works though. If I'm out in the backcountry I'll roll up an unused top layer or use my PFD.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

is the z lite an air mattress? brute has googled it, but can't tell from the picture.

Jean

Post by Jean »

It's not. It's more comfortable than a yoga mat, but it takes up less space. Foldability, makes it practical to sit on as well, and as I said, I had mine for 7 years now, and I don't think I will have to replace it soon.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute will investigate if his current Thai mattress ever goes out of commission. (which it might in < 7 years due to its organic nature).

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Back sleeping has the additional benefit of reducing and avoiding wrinkles. When your face meets the wrinkly pillow, those wrinkles become deeper and more permanent over time. Back sleeping also reduces puffy eyes. I believe the argument for that one is that gravity is a contributing factor to puffy eyes, and sleeping face down doesn't exactly help.

Now if only back sleeping was easy to get used to. I've been trying for weeks now with some success. Fun fact: I find I dream a lot more when I sleep on my back. I'm also used to the thai mattress by now, so that's cool.

I am still trying to figure out the pillow situation. I've been using a small throw pillow, but I want something flatter.

For the back sleepers, how'd you get use to it?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

in brute's experience, only back sleepers snore and get sleep apnea. so it's not all rosy.

susswein

Post by susswein »

White water rafters use something called a "paco pad" which is sort of like a thermarest on steroids. Available up to 30" wide and 4" thick, and can be rolled up. I sleep on one in the back of my van for about 6 months per year.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uzd_nFzj0Y

Interesting video on forward-leaning necks. I wonder if pillows and a non-back sleeping posture help develop a forward-leaning neck. I know personally, I also have forward leaning shoulders (so do most westerners nowadays). I've been working on pressing my shoulders flat against the thai mattress when I sleep to good effect! Next step would be to do that with the neck I suppose.

Sleep Quest (tm) continues.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Do neck yoga. And give up the pillow.

Put a pillow under your knees while you're learning to sleep on your back.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

TopHatFox wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:03 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uzd_nFzj0Y

Interesting video on forward-leaning necks. I wonder if pillows and a non-back sleeping posture help develop a forward-leaning neck. I know personally, I also have forward leaning shoulders (so do most westerners nowadays). I've been working on pressing my shoulders flat against the thai mattress when I sleep to good effect! Next step would be to do that with the neck I suppose.

Sleep Quest (tm) continues.
such non sequitur. forward leaning neck and shoulders comes from lack of strength and muscle. heavy overhead press and squats will fix this for THF.

Dave

Post by Dave »

jennypenny wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:24 am
You shouldn't need a pillow when sleeping on your back...
After reading this and doing a little research, I decided to test your advice. I tend to have problems falling asleep anyways, and was unable to fall asleep the first night without a pillow, so I used a much flatter pillow than usual. After a week or two of this, I will switch to not using a pillow at all.

Perhaps this won't be a panacea, but I am curious if I notice anything different.

Even if I don't, if I can adjust to no pillow then I will need one less thing, which is always a plus ;) .