Best packable permanent alternative for a matress?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
BRUTE

Re: Best packable permanent alternative for a matress?

Post by BRUTE »

FBeyer wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:29 am
BRUTE wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:05 pm
dusty, and sometimes cold
Does a 3/4 inch piece of plywood really make a difference when it comes to dust?
brute eventually built his own wooden bed frame, on top of which the plywood is screwed. that thai mattress then lies on top of the plywood. now when brute sleeps, he's about 1ft from the ground, which seems to be enough to avoid dust.

@George:
"thai mattress" or "thai sleeping pad" should probably find something.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

@Brute, how do you clean a thai mattress? For some reason, only "airing it out" doesn't seem to strike confidence in cleanliness.

Also, do you place a sheet over the thai mattress, or sleep on it as is with a sheet over you?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Maybe a foldable massage mat is a good solution: https://www.google.com/search?q=thai+tr ... _MwyVIxerM:

These are easy enough to put a decorative sheet over, and can be periodically wiped down with sponge + vinegar.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Olaz wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 am
@Brute, how do you clean a thai mattress? For some reason, only "airing it out" doesn't seem to strike confidence in cleanliness.

Also, do you place a sheet over the thai mattress, or sleep on it as is with a sheet over you?
Most normal mattresses don't get cleaned. Put a sheet on it, wash that as needed. At least with that Thai mattress you could hang it over a line and give it a good beating every now and then. Find an antique rug beater or just a stick.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

sheet. to be honest, brute just upgraded from the plywood a week ago, so he can't report on long-term cleanliness of said mattress.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

BRUTE wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:12 pm
sheet. to be honest, brute just upgraded from the plywood a week ago, so he can't report on long-term cleanliness of said mattress.
Do you still have the link to the Thai mattress you bought?

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

I'm going to be living out of a hammock with a quilt for a while. What about something like a hennesy hammock with a down quilt? This is the cheapest quality set I could find:
https://www.amazon.com/Hennessy-Hammock ... sy+hammock
http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-econ-20/
put survival wrap underneath you for the coldest nights, sleep diagonally to make the hammock flat instead of curved.

Packable and mattress alternative.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Olaz wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:13 am
Do you still have the link to the Thai mattress you bought?
no, but it wasn't anything special afabr.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

[I wanted to be smart, but I have not read first post of Zalo :lol: ]

Why are you agianst simplicity?

I spend 90% of nights of last 6 months on something like that:

http://goryiludzie.pl/sites/default/fil ... rimata.jpg

(sleeping pad)

The system looks like this: second floor [from the whole house] from concrete -> wood block floor [*] -> carpet [**] -> sleeping pad -> me -> your girlfriend (just kidding :D)

I cover myself with normal sheets, I do not use sleeping bag.

It is camping everyday!

(*) http://www.woodfloor-renovations.co.uk/ ... irs-10.jpg
(**) http://sydneyard.com/wp-content/uploads ... Carpet.jpg

If I can not sleep, I go to the bed (I have not gotten rid of it).

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Stahlmann wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:20 pm
me -> your girlfriend
shots fired

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

BRUTE wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:31 pm
Stahlmann wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:20 pm
me -> your girlfriend
shots fired
Pft, only with her (or their) consent. I don't own people~ :P

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Can I just say that a good night's sleep is extremely important for health and performance at work. Aren't you starting your first job? Granted, you don't have to have a big expensive mattress necessarily to get a good bight's skeep, but sleeping on a straw mat on the floor seems a bit More Spartan than is probably healthy, as a long term solution. Personally, if I wanted to keep things cheap and simple, I'd buy a used futon frame off Craigslist and buy a really good futon mattress. Good sleep, sofa plus bed, and then sell it on Craigslist when you move.

No mattress is really "permanent" anyway. They do need replacement every so often.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

@DSKla: pretty much yes

@EdithKeeler:

this implies that thin mattresses or straw mats are less healthy. brute firmly (<- mattress joke) believes the opposite, he finds soft mattresses and standard squishy pillows unbearable and they leave him sore and deform his spine while sleeping. brute has slept on raw plywood and found it not bad, but typically will go for the thinnest thing that's somewhat soft and easy to handle, like a folder over cover or similar.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

this implies that thin mattresses or straw mats are less healthy. brute firmly (<- mattress joke) believes the opposite, he finds soft mattresses and standard squishy pillows unbearable and they leave him sore and deform his spine while sleeping. brute has slept on raw plywood and found it not bad, but typically will go for the thinnest thing that's somewhat soft and easy to handle, like a folder over cover or similar.
Not necessarily. Personally I prefer a firm, thick mattress. My only point is that sleep is very important and I would advise buying a decent mattress (whatever that may be for the individual) that allows you to get a good night's sleep every night and give up on the portability factor if need be. I'm guessing most people would not want to sleep on nothing but plywood night after night after night and still find themselves refreshed and ready for work the next day. There certainly are exceptions, of course.

I would just caution thE op that the road to early retirement relies on making money until one doesn't need to. It's great if you don't pay anything for your bed. Not so great if you aren't sufficiently rested to do good work and are ultimately fired.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

if only there was a common definition of "decent mattress".

brute would agree that saving money in the short term isn't worth giving up more money in the long term, and that sometimes, Olaz seems to display a tendency towards this type of short-term optimization.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I'll repeat myself, but after 6 month sleeping mostly on my Z-lite, my back doesn't hurt at all.
I owned it for 7 years, and it's still in good conditions.
I wouldn't look any further.
But a wool folder my be good as well (In kirghizstan, they only sleep on those, and they don't seem to have back injuries.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

TheRedHare wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:58 am
I've been sleeping on this for about a month now and have no complaints thus far: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065 ... UTF8&psc=1
This one + pretty sheets wins! ^^

I'm thinking of getting 2 Twins rather than 1 Full. I can always put them together.
Last edited by TopHatFox on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Jean wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:26 pm
I'll repeat myself, but after 6 month sleeping mostly on my Z-lite, my back doesn't hurt at all.
I owned it for 7 years, and it's still in good conditions.
I wouldn't look any further.
But a wool folder my be good as well (In kirghizstan, they only sleep on those, and they don't seem to have back injuries.
Do you sleep on your back?
BRUTE wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:08 am
Olaz seems to display a tendency towards this type of short-term optimization.
Have I ever mentioned that I *really* like tiny pretty things that can be moved around? Functionality comes first though. :P

I ultimately decided I like your mattress best btw~~~ *blush*

--------------------------

On this research of mattresses, it has really brought home how prevalent flame retardants, anti-tick, and other chemicals found to be toxic are in everyday items. For instance, the mattress above has Quaternary ammonium salt for anti-bacterial (http://chemicaloftheday.squarespace.com ... ounds.html), and Pyrethroid for anti-tick. If there's anything I'll expand my use of money on, it will be on the purchasing of more organic food and goods.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Olaz wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:10 pm
I'm thinking of getting 2 Twins rather than 1 Full. I can always put them together.
brute has the long one. the shape of regular mattresses has always disturbed brute - they're far wider than brute, but even the queen size isn't nearly long enough. where do humans live that are 3 feet wide but only 5 feet tall?

brute finds that if the mattress is long enough, he doesn't need very much width, even a regular twin is probably too wide.