You only live once - help

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Dragline

Re: You only live once - help

Post by Dragline »

BRUTE wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:35 am

but so far brute has found every place somewhat unique.
Exactly. All the more reason to explore your local environs -- people erroneously equate "far away and somebody talked about it on the internet and whoo-hoo, won't people be jealous when I talk about this" with "interesting in its own way if I looked hard enough."

Why get on a plane when you can get on a bicycle? Or just frickin' walk? You want to see New York? Walk down Broadway from North of Times Square to Bowling Green at the tip of Manhattan.

It's lot more interesting than being stuck in traffic in Jakarta or getting stuck in the Charles De Gaulle airport because somebody went on strike. Believe me.

And Zarafshan, Uzbekistan is nothing to write home about. You might as well go to Ely, Nevada.
Last edited by Dragline on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

I've been exploring the concept of past lives and reincarnation recently, so if you do get hit by a bus in this life, perhaps you can say to hell with the deposit in your next life? Should you remember anyway... :P

I agree on the time-tables idea dragline mentioned. To add to it, if you can find a way to make your current job enjoyable, AND you're working toward even more happiness down the road by leveraging the resources you're accumulating, you're in the clear. I try to think of it as what we would do if we could never retire (make our work life enjoyable to the best of our ability I imagine), except that we can, and in very short order.

I'd much much rather combine a high income job I like with microadventures early on and then have that money compound on my behalf throughout life by the salary class than constantly be worried whether my blog or vlog will produce enough income for me to continue my perma-travel lifestyle, or if I do get injured during the travels (like breaking a leg while hiking).

------

Oo, one more thing: delete the worst of social media (FB, Pinterest, Tumblr, Snapchat, Instagram) and go on outdoor or travel trips on evenings or weekends. This will help with not comparing your cube with the (usually indebted) 20-somethings in Paris or SE Asia. Let these personal experiences be your badass motivation to raise income/lower expenses, to the point where you're still happy anyway.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

Dude, if you're really going to be FI by age 29 whats the rush? 29 is really young, and this is coming from someone who is in his early twenties.

I disagree about what dragline said though to some extent. I think traveling as most people do it - visiting a place for a week or two is dumb, but "slow travel" or moving to a place for at least a year or more is something that I don't think you could replicate in your current area. This is especially true if the cultural shift is significant and you make an attempt to learn the local language.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

Oh also, have you tried getting a location independent job? I'm trying to do this right now. Im not sure how common this is in your field though.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Incidentally, how many people get hit by buses anyway? It's probably not that many...:P

distracted_at_work

Post by distracted_at_work »

@Olaz. I could have been the King of England in a past life for all I know. Since I don't know, I will assume I turn back into space dust when I die. That means I need to get to the bottom of this problem in this life! :D

I think you're absolutely correct that a high income job, time and compounding interest is the best way given our present situation. Simply put, I am wavering a bit knowing how many neat things I could be out doing that aren't sitting in an office. That I'm working for the rest of my twenties, guaranteed and potentially wasting my best years.

I keep FB around as world wide phone book, otherwise I despise it. I can't defend the other apps given the amount of my time wasted.

@James. 29 doesn't seem young looking up at it I guess.

I think I'm done with 2 week vacations abroad. I think post-ERE 6 month stints with a goal (learn a language, etc) would suit me much more.

Unfortunately very uncommon in my field; it's not in the culture. I'm trying to change this.

@Jacob @IlliniDave Extremely key-piece indeed. I need to adjust my thinking to the "historic sight".

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Meh, I'm past fifty and can do anything you young pups can do, at least when it comes to going or living somewhere or having some kind of experience. (I just can't do it as fast or recover as quickly. :lol: )

The people who "have regrets" about not traveling to exotic places or doing certain things often have let their health go to an extent that they are not up to it physically. Take care of yourself and chances are very high that you will not have these issues.

Yes, you could get hit by the equivalent of a "rare medical disease" bus, but what that tells you is that you should get checked out regularly, not that you need to live your whole life before 35 or 40.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Life goes on past the age of 29. I promise. And it's actually not all rocking chairs, soft foods, and confusion.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Dragline wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:19 am
The people who "have regrets" about not traveling to exotic places or doing certain things often have let their health go to an extent that they are not up to it physically. Take care of yourself and chances are very high that you will not have these issues.
this is probably the big issue. the other side of it is fucking up financials and not saving money, and ending up at 65 years old without ever having traveled, and without the money to do it then. brute knows plenty of old geezers that have out-partied him in all corners of the world, at 2x the age. in a wheelchair. not kidding.

regarding the local travel vs. far-away travel, brute has enjoyed both. they're different. there are things that a bicycle ride to upstate NY will not teach humans, while traffic jams at 2am in SE asia will. for one, living in a completely different culture (pretty much any eastern, latin, and presumably African culture) and standing out like a sore thumb is probably a worthwhile experience that most humans would find hard to replicate within 500 miles of their place of birth.

ebast

Post by ebast »

on another mildy-correlated axis with young vs old, traveling while single can be pretty different than traveling while partnered

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Dragline said: Meh, I'm past fifty and can do anything you young pups can do, at least when it comes to going or living somewhere or having some kind of experience. (I just can't do it as fast or recover as quickly. :lol: )
lol- Ditto. Of course, I never was into anything requiring super-extreme fitness when I was young either, so...
ebast said: on another mildy-correlated axis with young vs old, traveling while single can be pretty different than traveling while partnered
True. Solo and/or single is different than with a partner, or with another couple, or with kids! Watching a sunset while drinking cheap wine is an entirely different experience if you are also responsible for keeping toddlers from falling in the water. I like to live with other people, but I really enjoy traveling or having adventures all by myself sometimes. Maybe because I am processing so much new input I don't need as much social interaction.

I really don't relate to YOLO or its polar opposite, because I am more of a make-work-fun/make-play-productive type, and there's really no age limit on taking it easy.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I think it's important to distinguish between 'you only live once' and 'you'll only get this opportunity once'. The first is an excuse to spend money. Unique opportunities, however, should be considered carefully. They are actually mentioned in jacob's description of ERE on the wiki. Part of the reason you buckle down early to get yourself into FU territory is so you can say yes to as many appealing opportunities as possible ... for the rest of your life. :)

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Battle of current self vs future self is always interesting.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

BRUTE wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:36 pm
standing out like a sore thumb is probably a worthwhile experience that most humans would find hard to replicate within 500 miles of their place of birth.
If you are tall and go to Indonesia this will happen. Literally when you are in a crowd. But the view is good.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

jennypenny wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:27 pm
I think it's important to distinguish between 'you only live once' and 'you'll only get this opportunity once'. The first is an excuse to spend money. Unique opportunities, however, should be considered carefully.
I got to the Isle of Skye that way. I happened to be in the UK and wanted to go to the end of Britain. I was sorry later when I heard they put a bridge where the ferry used to be.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I have stood out like a sore thumb many times within 50 miles of my place of birth. However, this is due to the fact that I date outside of my culture. In particular, I remember one festival event where I was surrounded by beautiful Iranian-born women. I felt like a faded sunflower in a field full of bright poppies. Also, I was the only white woman in my water-aerobics class who wasn't born in Poland prior to 1940.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

I grew up in a mostly black neighborhood. Stuck out pretty vividly at times. Went to a birthday party down the street when I was about 8 yrs old. It took me a lot of years to realize why all the other kids were calling me 'Whitey' that day. I was sort of oblivious at times.