What resources to use when looking for a new place to live

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TheRedHare

What resources to use when looking for a new place to live

Post by TheRedHare »

Ok so I've been all over craigslist and padmapper, but trying to find a place that is within the 500-600 range is pretty difficult for my area (East ATL)
Now, I have found a few, but they are few and far between. I can't find any places that are below 500. That seems ridiculous.

I've been looking for a place that is as close to work as possible, rents anywhere below 500 (most ideal) up to my max at 800 (least ideal), looks livable (windows are very nice...lived in a room with none and it was kinda depressing), and has a short term lease ( I don't want to be strapped down for the time being bc working for a start up is risky).

How does one find a place that is within the ERE budget?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: What resources to use when looking for a new place to live

Post by jacob »

Depends on the area. Some places (like Chicago for example) don't use craigslist (and the padmapper derivative) other than for "apartment finder companies". Most deals would be posted with little signs with ph numbers in the windows and searching is done by walking the neighborhood.

I presume you've done the obvious and included public transport as well. For example, if there's a train station next to work and another train station somewhere else, also search around the second train station. And so on.

I'd also check against crime maps. I usually use Trulia's heat maps.

These days, I'd also use judgmental maps because they give you information that usually takes many years of living there to figure out. When I've shown the concept to locals from various cities they've all agreed on the accuracy (in between laughing).

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

what are judgmental maps?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Google it.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I usually rent apartments before they hit the market. I believe this is how it works for most places that have a desirable combination of price, location, and amenities. If I were you I'd pick the spot that is your ideal location then use google maps to search apartments within a few block radius of that spot. Not available apartments. Just apartment buildings. Then start calling. Ask what they are charging when they get vacancies and if they expect to have a vacancy in the near future. If you are ready to move now, say so. Ask if they know of any other nearby properties that expect a vacancy. Get their email address and send them a follow-up email with your details, desired apartment, desired date of move and whatnot. Ask them to forward it to any sister properties that may have vacancies.

I always have a tenant or two who want to move because of work changes but are stuck in their lease. Many properties allow tenants to find a qualified person to take over the remainder of the lease but these people are so overwhelmed by their new longer commute that they never get around to actually advertising/showing it. So, if you find a building that is particularly desirable, ask the manager if they allow lease transfers, then ask if you can post a notice advertising your willingness to take over a lease. If the manager says no to posting a flier, just stand in front of the building for a few hours in the evening or morning and talk to people as they come and go. Usually one of the busybody tenants who knows everyone's business will pass by. Alternatively you could send a postcard to all of the tenants in the building.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

Some colleges and universities have listings for off campus housing, basically apartments that traditionally rent to students and thus are cheap.

I found the one for Georgia tech in one minute:

https://housing.gatech.edu/techlife/Off ... 202017.pdf

bryan

Post by bryan »

Well I've just about always used CL with success. Though you should definitely do some ground research riding your bike around and looking for "for rent" signs etc. One place I lived was across the street from another that I was checking out via CL (but wasn't on CL itself).

Judgemental maps should definitely come with a large grain of salt as it can miss important signals (or amplify only a single signal or, worse, noise. First thing I saw when looking at SF was the Mission saying "Gangs, Gangs, Gangs" which is ridiculous.). This sort of info-graphic can be useful, though. Similarly, you may want to find some interesting neighbourhood/city blog/social media and do research there.

Zillow for a quick snapshot of costs across town.

I always just put a bunch of stars on google maps for points of interest (places I like to go to) and the search for housing goes from there. (Of course living close to work may come first, above all others).

Consider CL commercial real estate section; there may be a something workable (but don't break the law too bad or be a dick).

You could also find a month-to-month, less than ideal place, now and continue your hunt. This can be good if you rely on slower sources of leads (social networks like church, friends, co-workers, etc)

The CL auto section has some unconverted vans available ;)

Maybe read up on how to spot unoccupied properties and how to squat?

etc etc