Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
slowtraveler

Re: strategies from the ERE book - dumbed down explanation

Post by slowtraveler »

Heterotelic is a response that moves towards 1 goal and away from another while homeotilic moves towards both.
ie- I want to reach a 3% wr and weigh 150lbs.
Fasting lowers my expenses and weight so it is homeotilic.
Buying some weight loss pill or lap band surgery is heterotelic since I'd increase my expenses/decrease my assets though I'd move towards my weight loss goal.
Driving to work vs biking to work.
Meeting a lover at a night club/restaurant vs a picnic at the park/beach.

Web of goals works from the 2nd and 3rd order effects of actions (fish bone diagram) so that each action affects multiple desired goals.
ie-By biking to the library I increase my understanding, lower my expenses, lower my weight, increase my cardiovascular health, decrease my carbon footprint-relative to buying books from Amazon.
ie-Moving closer to work/groceries and walking daily vs commuting by car for an hour-lower weight, increase cardiovascular health, decrease carbon footprint, improve mood, more connected to local community.
ie- Freecycle vs buying new-lower carbon footprint, lower expenses, build community, less landfill waste
ie-Park/beach date increases health, time in nature, cooking, relaxing time while night club/restaurant tends to decrease these while costing more so nightclub/restaurant may satisfy one of my desired outcomes (love) while decreasing others (wealth, nature time, etc.)

So IIRC, the point of the web of goals is to have your life set up so each action affects multiple goals and any specific action can be changed without affecting your cultivation of desired outcomes.
I see this as related to heterotilic vs homotilic since actions will be more homotilic in a well-designed web of goals with each action moving you towards goals.

Myakka

Post by Myakka »

There is a wikipedia article for Liebig law of the minimum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebig%27 ... he_minimum

It states that growth is controlled not by the total amount of resources available, but by the scarcest resource (limiting factor).

You must have experienced this at various points in your own life. Typical limiting factors in human daily life include time, money, knowledge, and the creativity to use these in circumstances you haven't experienced before.

In fact you have experienced this in your struggle to understand ERE concepts. From what you have said you have had the money needed to buy the book, the time to read it, and are limited either by lack of knowledge OR you have that background and are now unable to transfer that knowledge to this new endevour.

(My experience as someone who tutored math (algebra and up) for many years is that the best way for the average person to understand the concepts in math is to connect to them in as personal and tangible a way as possible -- which is what I have attempted to do here. I mean no criticism at all by my example. I know we all -- including myself -- have weak points and that that is a natural part of life.)

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

In a process or construction project, this is known as the "critical path", which is the way I like to think about it. (That term is also referenced and linked in the wikipedia article). It's basically answering the question "what is the most important thing I need to do next?" to reach whatever goal I have set. It's usually the thing you have the least of that is necessary for the project -- e.g., people with skills lacking capital or those with capital lacking skills, or a great product that lacks marketing.

At the beginning of the project, you might be able to "start anywhere", but eventually there are things that you may have been avoiding that just "have to be done" to get to the next stage. That is the critical path.