Continuing Education

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
EdithKeeler

Continuing Education

Post by EdithKeeler »

Curious what kinds of things people are doing for their continuing education and development (in life--not work!).

DBF is applying to graduate school in his 60's. Me, I think he doesn't need a degree for what he's doing (MFA) but he remains unconvinced. It will be his second graduate degree. I had a fried who started a PhD program at 60 but never finished.

Me, I've given up on any grad school plans. In the back of my mind it bugged me that I never finished my MBA, so I reapplied last year and got back in. And then realized I had ABSOLUTELY NO DESIRE to do any of that stuff and I'd use little of it anyway.

These days I'm just reading widely on a lot of subjects, trying to learn Spanish re CDs and some light reading, reading up on botany and gardening, and still thinking about taking that welding class. I love iTunes U and have listened to a ton of history courses, an area that I felt like I neglected a good bit as an undergrad, as well as religion courses--not from a worship perspective but from the perspective of how religion has influenced and continues to influence our society. Took a few Coursera courses, and am thinking I'd like to learn to program, but not sure where to start (last programming class I took was Basic and a little C.... I've heard things have progressed a tad since then). I also want to take scuba classes, but I need to get into better swimming shape first, and I'm looking at taking the "book" part of sailing class, since that's a retirement goal, to sail. And the Master Gardener class is on the list, though that one may be a while.

I find it much more interesting to just study what I want to. None of it, of course, is probably preparing me for much more than being a Jeopardy! contestant. But... I feel like this is one of the luxuries of being a little older and closer to retirement.

I'm surprised at how few of my friends and acquaintances do much in the way of ongoing education. Curious what people here are doing and HOW you're doing it.

Dragline

Re: Continuing Education

Post by Dragline »

Mostly just reading and other "self-study" with internet videos and other media. But I am always looking for the cross-pollination and intersection of ideas. I write them down, sometimes in a journal or a blog. I think I have that fundamental engineer/scientist mentally of just wanting to know "how things work".

[The memoir of Edward Thorp that just came out I found personally illuminating/reflective - it was like a different and much more successful version of me, even down to the childhood experiments with high explosives, fixations with gambling systems, and the selection of similar spouses. I think it would resonate with a lot of people here.]

I think Charlie Munger's "Big Ideas" framework is the correct one. His concept is that while its impossible for anyone to know everything anymore, most subjects have a few central ideas at their core that might be applied cross-discipline, which can yield interesting insights. So to be well rounded, one should learn the basics of evolution, Newtonian mechanics, psychology, literary forms, plumbing, etc. Jacob's modern Renaissance man from the ERE book is a similar concept.

So take something like complexity theory with its related concepts like the 80/20 rule (power law distributions). If you apply these concepts to say, diet and exercise, what you get is something that looks like intermittent fasting and high intensity weight or interval training. A few people have noted this explicitly in the last decade or so (e.g., Art DeVany, Dr. Doug McGuff). But the ideas are much older and just had not been "put together" until more recently. These are the sorts of intersections of ideas that keep me eternally interested in learning new stuff.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

I read a lot of history and finance. Beyond that, I enjoy learning/doing a lot of handyman skills. Things like plumbing, tiling, rough carpentry, painting, roofing, auto maintenace and repair, appliance repair, etc. I think because I wasn't exposed to that kind of stuff growing up, I get a kick out of figuring out and solving. It's not drudgery at all.

bryan

Post by bryan »

Well, not that much which is a damn shame. I do plan on eventually taking some free online courses for various subjects. University libraries are pretty good. Maybe crash some courses (big lecture halls, most likely) at the local university or audit (or social engineer my way into) some (and join study groups, make friends, etc).

Though University courses only get you so much. I've also considered taking jobs for the sole purpose to get some training/education/sausage-making experience/access to proprietary info and tools/etc, even if RE.

Also, if the subject isn't too profitable, there is probably some public community (or subject experts that are part of a public community) out there for it that you might join.

@Dragline, added to my reading list. Makes me wonder if once I hit RE I will then see a sea (or set sail on those I've already looked upon) of wealth-generating opportunities :D (probably not but it's a nice daydream).

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Dragline - I presume you got your hands on Hagstrom's Latticework book?

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I read it some time ago. Probably should read it again. I do have "Poor Charlie's Almanack" on my night-table, although I hate the coffee table format of that book.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I seem to be constantly taking one class or another. Our local Continuing Education school is quite good with programs in welding, plumbing, project management, electronics, hvac, upholstery, and a variety of computer certs. They are all free. Last week I went to the orientation for the Cisco network certification program (CCNA / Security) though I have no intention of getting certified. I have a community college a few blocks away and have taken several courses there as well, though the books can be quite expensive. I try to sell them on ebay the moment the class ends. The classes are good but they are a slow way to learn. I prefer doing. I am getting a little tired of the fact that they teach to the credential test rather than to learn. Also, I find it a bit frustrating when you can't take one or two classes without being registered for a particular program. I wanted to take a few nursing classes but have to be apply/accepted/registered in the nursing program to take them. I've been wanting to do the welding course, but it is geared toward employment retraining and is four or five hours a night, every night, for several months. A bit much for me.

Whenever we have a problem here at faulty towers I call in experts then look over their shoulder while they do the job. We always do things by the book but I ask a lot of questions about half-assed or good-enough solutions, as that is my preferred method of problem solving when I am paying the bill. The workers usually commute across the border each morning so they have one foot in each world and understand what I am asking. I find that I learn a lot more when they tell me the by-the-book solution then explain the half-assed work around.

For skills, I find meetups to be pretty good alternative to taking class. A while ago I went to a free rock climbing meetup where I learned a lot. I have friend who is active in the local drone/robotics meetup.

Lastly, I find that people love to talk about things they love doing, and I tend to ask a lot of questions. So, if I want to learn about something I ask someone who is doing it. I find that whole worlds can open up this way.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Nice answer, Ego. And good thread, EK.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I want to take a welding class for a refresher, and a machining class if I can find one. I'm studying forestry all the time, usually little workshops put on by our small woodlands association or the OSU Extension Service.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

It was watching Mr. T make wicked cool stuff outta nothing and then blow things up and setting afire!

Must seem very low brow, but that was some of the origination of some of my ambition. I've gotten journeyman level machinist, some cnc, and a lot of welding and fabrication, electrical and mechanics. Probably one of the coolest things about living on a farm- making stuff, fixing things, and then breaking it!

The other is the wide variety of interests from neighboring tribesmen. Beer brewing, dog training, horses, hot rodders, gun smiths, archers, rock hounds, knife makers. I've met people and worked with a few who were/are world class masters of their trades.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Farm_or, I was trying to pick what part of your skills/interests list to quote, but I'd really have to copy and paste the whole thing. This is like a list of DH's greatest hits & fantasies. You need to be our neighbor! How do you feel about moss? :lol:

Have you ever seen a publication called Farm Show? It's sort of a magazine/newspaper cross with all sorts of stories about resourceful, inventive @Farm_or types who create ingenious things in their spare time (often out of old farm equipment). DH loves it.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

@halfmoon Yes, I used to have a subscription to farm show. Love all the ideas and creations from the farm shops across the country.

Millerwelds has a website for home projects too. Excellent project ideas that are categorized by different headings like art, home, auto, farm, etc. I have stolen a few ideas from there.

I love metal projects. Always feel like I am wasting time with wood, due to its fragility, but I can apply myself to metal knowing that it will be enduring.