Blogging Question

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
thebbqguy

Blogging Question

Post by thebbqguy »

I have had numerous blogs where I documented my hobbies. They were not serious efforts to make money, but merely places to share my pictures and results with my friends and anyone else who might stop by for a look.

I follow a few very successful bloggers who have documented earnings of $300K+ annually from their blog, which has turned into what looks an awful lot like a "job" to me.

I have noticed that most of these top bloggers, based on the information I have read on their blogs, seem to be in the 30ish or younger age group. I have been unable to identify any bloggers who earn these types of funds closer to my age group (50ish).

--Is it because those interested in technology trend toward the younger ages?
--Is it that the older age group audiences aren't that interested in the same things younger people are?
--Have the older age groups moved on to another life stage where life has "happened" crushed their dreams, so they don't "believe it could happen to them" so they don't read those popular "lifestyle" type blogs that seem to be the key to high earnings from a blog?
--Does a 50ish blogger have a hard time relating to 20-somethings, so the older bloggers don't have the same following in their own "lifestyle" blogging efforts?
--Why aren't there more "older" bloggers hitting it big?
--How can they overcome those hurdles?

These are just some things I wonder about at night sometimes.

Dragline

Re: Blogging Question

Post by Dragline »

Older people simply don't use the internet the way younger people do. I don't think there is a solution that does not involve expressly appealing to a younger audience.

I also believe that the time to make money from blogs is probably mostly in the past and/or is just way more competitive now than it used to be.

thebbqguy

Re: Blogging Question

Post by thebbqguy »

Yes. It's largely an issue of competition but there is one that I read which is only a few years old. She has been successful getting a lot of media coverage which has helped.