Extreme - winter

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Farm_or

Extreme - winter

Post by Farm_or »

Record snow accumulation, record sustained low temperature - it's wreaking havoc around here. Won't surprise me if some sell out this spring?

Collapsed roofs are everywhere. School closures have become common. Frozen pipes, leaking ceilings, people stuck and stranded on the road for hours, traffic accidents, slipping and falls breaking hips, wrists, concussions! Grocery shelves are getting more and more bare. Power outages.

"Snowpocolypse 2017" they are selling t-shirts.

Our sewer drain pipe froze last week (that was a crappy deal!). I've I've​gotten our 4x4 stuck six times now. Plowed our lane + a neighbor's six or seven times. Lost revenue on a sweet hay delivery subscription. And currently we are snowed in again.

But I have one of the biggest wood piles in the county! Things could be a lot worse. It is going to be a winter to remember...

chenda

Re: Extreme - winter

Post by chenda »

Where are you ? Sounds like you may have opportunities in your doorstep...

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Judging from snow cover maps, I'd guess you are in the PNW/California?

I don't envy you. We have nothing on the ground here, its a very warm winter. Lots of rain lately.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I sometimes fantasize about moving to the mountains. Then winter comes, and I read stories like this on my iPad out back while it's 70 degrees and sunny here in central Texas. Now talk to me in August, and I'll probably be singing a different tune. ;)

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

I-90 is closed at North bend, the East side of the Seattle sprawl. But here on whidbey island, we got an inch of snow, or two, that disappeared after a day or two, but we have had sub freezing temperatures for nearly a month. That is unusual. This happened back in 2008-9 as well, but we started with more snow, then.

I lived in the foothills below Rainier about 30 years ago. 3-4 feet of wet snow, for months. It made for some great scenery, and quiet nights. But I can do without it.

I live in the land of spring, sometimes it is a cold spring, and sometimes a warm one. I never understood folks who want to experience all 4 seasons, for months at a time!

chenda

Post by chenda »

We had a sudden burst of bright sunshine in the South Downs this morning, really looked like summer as long as you didn't go outside. 6 degrees max, and plenty of frost in the shade.

Looks an interesting place you live in @riggerjack, never knew there were so many islands up there.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

Eastern Oregon, treasure valley

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Looks an interesting place you live in @riggerjack, never knew there were so many islands up there.
If you keep looking north, the inside straight up to Alaska is interesting. Island after island, with almost no people... There are regular sailing runs in the summer, and some of the pictures people post being absolutely breathtaking. But I haven't been able to talk my wife into that trip, yet.

Between the southern end of Washington's coast and Alaska, there are lots of stunningly beautiful places where people are few and far between...

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Tyler9000 wrote:I sometimes fantasize about moving to the mountains. Then winter comes, and I read stories like this on my iPad out back while it's 70 degrees and sunny here in central Texas. Now talk to me in August, and I'll probably be singing a different tune. ;)
Long range summer forecast says Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona are going to have a very hot dry summer.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

It's been especially hard on the wildlife. About 50 antelope expired near the snake river. They suspect poisoned by a poisonous bush. A few elk succumbed to poisonous shrub also.

Back home, the poor deer have been raiding the hay stack. One night, ate so much of a bottom corner, almost toppled the stack. I I moved some bales to protect the corner, broke a bale to make it easier on them.

But on a positive note, the nesting pair of red tail hawks belly side have turned vivid white. Striking beauty that I never noticed before...

PA Hiker

Post by PA Hiker »

chenda wrote:Looks an interesting place you live in @riggerjack, never knew there were so many islands up there.

About a decade ago we spent a day on Whidbey Island hiking around an old growth forest.
On our way back to the ferry we stopped at a little burger joint for lunch where I browsed through a real estate circular. Housing was surprisingly cheap a with few places listed at <100k and many <200k.
With the mild weather and affordable housing, Whidbey seems like a great place to retire.
Although probably not so ideal for pre-retirement as I imagine there aren't very many high paying jobs available.