STI statistics and best practices?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

STI statistics and best practices?

Post by TopHatFox »

http://www.ashasexualhealth.org/stdsstis/statistics/

The stats above are surprising to say the least: " one in two people will have an sti before 25."

What are some best practices for preventing STIs? For instance, a bi-annual check, condoms, and developing open communication to ask if the person has an sti they know of. Also, avoiding the riskiest endeavors, like one night stands. I imagine also having a strong immune system - eating healthfully, exercising, drinking lots of water, lots of sleep, mininal striess, etc.

I do wonder how these stats are spread out accross race, religion, gender, class, and education.

Thoughts on the STI stats and proper prevention?

-------

Apparently there are vaccinnes related to many common STIs. That sounds like a useful prevention--for infections in general, actually!

Sclass

Re: STI statistics and best practices?

Post by Sclass »

Low body count. (A millennial just taught me that term).

My college girlfriend's dad was a pediatrician. Wow did that put a damper on things. Rules rules rules. Well she was STI free, but I felt I was making love to a field agent from CDC!

"Wait, we need to suit up!"

I've heard the stats that 50-90% of the population has HSV1. My SO and I had an embarrassing night at a small party recently where people started saying, "cmon everyone has herpes, I got it as a kid, he's got it, she's got it we all have it...who doesn't have herpes these days...everyone has it." Heads were nodding and people shrugged it off.

We just sat there silently not blinking. I got up to get a fresh drink because mine got scrambled in with the ones on the coffee table.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

ShriekingFeralHatred wrote:Venereal disease is God's judgement on people who have sex outside of marriage. It literally only happens to fornicators and those who sleep with fornicators. Save it for marriage and the whole plague will pass you by.
Where's the smiley face?

ShriekingFeralHatred

Post by ShriekingFeralHatred »

blah
Last edited by ShriekingFeralHatred on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Not to disqualify it, but I feel like that thought came right out of the 18th century. :D

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

ShriekingFeralHatred wrote:I am not joking.
Sadly I thought that was the case.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

The good doctor has a point.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Whether you are male or female carry a condom even if you don't anticipate needing one. That way you are ready just in case.

Ayo

Post by Ayo »

After an ill-fated once-in-a-lifetime-one-night stand I now always ask for a blood test.
Currently I have good pick up lines, delayed gratification and no STDs. I desire no more

I always ask the man to use a condom
Never used other tools
Concerning foreplay it demands for some degree of dexterity in keeping things safe

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

ShriekingFeralHatred wrote:Venereal disease is God's judgement on people who have sex outside of marriage. It literally only happens to fornicators and those who sleep with fornicators. Save it for marriage and the whole plague will pass you by.
And the occasional innocent patient of an infected medico who unethically injects the innocent patient. And the child born to an infected woman in some cases. So it's not like it only happens to fornicators.

ShriekingFeralHatred

blah
Last edited by ShriekingFeralHatred on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

C40

Post by C40 »

Statistically speaking:

Your best bet are wealthy Asians. The riskiest are black teenagers from poor neighborhoods. The deadliest, maybe heroin users?

I don't know if they've started giving the HPV vaccine to males yet, but if you can get it, it'd be a good idea. HPV is pretty much nothing, especially for a guy, but it does carry some small risk of causing cervical cancer for women.

An attempt at lifelong monogamy just to avoid STIs is one of the worst possible bets in life you could make. A single sexual experience is never worth getting an STI, but the potential/likely downside of forced monogamy (depression, being with a partner you don't love, not experiencing many of the wonders of sex) is way worse than getting a handful of STIs.

I think it's important to try to start sexual relationships with a high likelihood of being ongoing and regular, so you don't end up sleeping with a lot of people a small number of times each. I get the feeling that millennials are better at this than people my age were in their 20s, but maybe I'm just misunderstanding the current popularity of polyamory

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

ShriekingFeralHatred wrote:
George the original one wrote:And the occasional innocent patient of an infected medico who unethically injects the innocent patient. And the child born to an infected woman in some cases. So it's not like it only happens to fornicators.
ITT the exception proves the rule
I've got a friend dying of complications of Hepatitis B. He got it at birth but he's given it to some mutual friends through sex. Sad. Should I be worried about having a last dinner with the guy and catching Hep B via casual contact? I have heard it can be passed in saliva and tears. There is going to be crying if I go over there.

ShriekingFeralHatred

blah
Last edited by ShriekingFeralHatred on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

ShriekingFeralHatred wrote:
Sclass wrote:I've got a friend dying of complications of Hepatitis B. He got it at birth but he's given it to some mutual friends through sex.
It's not his fault he got it, but it's his fault your mutual friends have it. His immoral behavior did that.
I feel really bad for the gals he gave it to. I knew he was positive but I didn't tell them. Now they may have to face liver cancer. :roll: If you want to get preachy, I guess nobody was really innocent in all of this.

Okay just googled HBV and it looks like it's okay to visit my sick pal. No big deal.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

ShriekingFeralHatred

blah
Last edited by ShriekingFeralHatred on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Hey hey hey, I'm not saying his actions were justified, but I'm sure he had emotional and especially physical needs as a human being to meet. Sex, for instance. I think I saw a dating site for people w/ specific STIs as I was researching vaccines - maybe that would have been the ideal alternative to meet the important desire for sex. With improved medicine, it would matter less who was to blame for what.

On that note, isn't HPV curable if found early? & if he's gonna go anyway, maybe give natural medicines a go? (I imagine he'd likely say something like "stop judging or giving advice", as he's likely received a lot of both).
Last edited by TopHatFox on Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Well...this is simplistic thinking. Is venereal disease God's judgment on people who have sex outside of marriage when their state's law doesn't recognize their (e.g. gay) marriage? What if they travel to a state or country where that marriage is legal? Does God recognize it, or does his judgment still punish them because your chosen religion doesn't recognize it as marriage?

If you or your wife or child contract a deadly disease or terminal cancer, will that also be God's judgment?

If a person passes HPV (or whatever) to an unknowing sex partner, is the unknowing partner a victim of God's judgment?

If someone (such as my DH) has to have a blood tranfusion due to injury completely unrelated to sexual contact and contracts HIV or HPV, is this God's judgment?

It would benefit you to examine your own judgmentalism and stop deferring it to God. When bad things happen to you and your loved ones, as inevitably they will, it's best to have already understood that fate is random.

ShriekingFeralHatred

blah