Best dictation software for academic writing that actually works?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Best dictation software for academic writing that actually works?

Post by TopHatFox »

Hey ya'll, do you have any recommendations or paradigm shifts on a good voice dictation software? My sociology/anthropology research professor is in pain from typing so much and I've been asked to help!

--------------------------------------------------------

"My research request this week is a bit unusual. I am having serious ulnar tunnel problems (from my hand, wrist, through my elbow) related to typing too much. It is recurrent, but is getting worse. So, I desperately need to find good voice recognition/dictation software so I can speak into the computer to write. It needs to be the best dictation software available so that it is fast, accurate, and easy to use. I don't know anything about what's out there. But, I hoped you could do research on various kinds of software--and for now do not worry about their prices. I only want to know what will work the best. So, if you can look up reviews and good articles that point to the best dictation software around, especially the best for academics writing academic books and articles, that would be super helpful. If you can do it by the end of this week/weekend, even better. Just as I have the most to do, my wrist, hand, and arm are really acting up. It is very painful and so the sooner I can order good software and start to replace some of my time typing, it will enable me to keep going. I am hoping to order something by the end of the week/weekend at latest.

Can you help? I need some overview of what is out there, what the reviews say, what academics use, etc. Let me know if you have questions, or don't know what kind of software I'm talking about.

Let me know when we could meet to discuss your findings. Maybe you could ask IT as well who in their department knows about voice recognition/dictation software. If you could email them in the next day or so and cc me, that would be great. You can let them know you're doing research to help me find the best fit for software. I really need help.

Thanks and take care,
"
Last edited by TopHatFox on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan_Warrior

Re: Best dictation software that actually works?

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Dragon NaturallySpeaking is the one used commonly in fiction writing circles. I've used it. It seems to do the trick, but I couldn't get over the learning curve of dictation itself.

RealPerson

Re: Best dictation software that actually works?

Post by RealPerson »

I have used Dragon Naturally Speaking. It sounds like a good idea and works fairly well for everyday language. It is not very time saving because you have to carefully read the text for any errors, such as wrong words.

When you have to dictate technical jargon, it is totally useless in my experience. I have tried to use it on and off over 15 years or so. It is getting better, but I would not consider it usable for anything related to serious writing, especially scientific or technical. I would love to find one but I am still looking.