Riot for Austerity

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
enigmaT120

Re: Riot for Austerity

Post by enigmaT120 »

7Wannabe5 wrote:There is one very simple method for going negative on carbon footprint without assigning yourself credit for changing the behavior of other humans. One acre of woodlands processes about 15 tons of carbon dioxide. So, if you accept 20 tons as the amount emitted by the average American, and you reduce your emissions to 25% of that level, and plant an acre of trees, you would be 10 tons in the negative zone. Grass is much more efficient at processing CO2 than trees, so you would need to maintain at least 50 acres of ranch land without mowing for the same credit.
I have 30 acres of forest land, cool. Did you mean grass is less efficient, rather than more? Because if not I don't understand what you said.

Yeah, I consider my wood heat carbon neutral.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@enigmaT120: I meant grass is more efficient at processing CO2 as a fuel source for itself. Therefore, it is less efficient at processing CO2 as a waste product for us. So, if you are acting in stewardship of 30 acres of woodlands that would likely otherwise be converted to parking lot or corn field than you might assign yourself a CO2 processing credit equivalent to NOT driving about 80 cars!!! (So, you are the winner off the Riot for Austerity contest that is not really a contest!!! So, shhhh, keep it on the down low and act all humble like.) IOW, you are an oxygen farmer.

Fuel is not equal to fuel - at least if we consider carbon dioxide emissions. Burning of lignite emits nearly 100 % more carbon dioxide with respect to the energy content than burning of natural gas. Even natural fuels such as wood or peat have high specific emissions, if they are not used sustainable. Hence, deforestation has a high impact on climate change. On the other hand, if we only use as much wood as can grow again, it is carbon dioxide neutral because it binds as much carbon dioxide during growing as is emits during burning.
If fuels are used for electricity generation, carbon dioxide emissions increase with the reciprocal of the power plant efficiency. E.g. if a power station with an efficiency of 34 % burns coal, it emits 1.0 kg carbon dioxide for generating one kilowatt hour of electricity.
Changing to less carbon dioxide intensive fuels reduces the emissions and contributes to climate protection in the short-term. For a long-term climate protection the only alternative are zero-carbon energy resources such as sustainable-used biomass and other renewable types of energy.
http://www.volker-quaschning.de/datserv ... ndex_e.php

Therefore, since you have stewardship of 30 acres, which I assume you replant, burning wood for providing some heat with some sort of modern-design efficient stove is the best choice. OTOH, if you were running a shoe factory and you were concerned with meeting emissions regulations in conjunction with terms of Paris Agreement then your best choice might be natural gas.

Michigan has a high percentage of forest land currently, but most of the trees are less than 100 years old, because the state was almost completely clear cut for timber by the turn of the 20th century. The northern part of the state was not great as farmland, so the trees were replanted, and the U.P is once again about as close to howling wilderness as you are going to find anyplace on the planet (just like how parts of Detroit are now almost indistinguishable from some decrepit scrub woods rural burg in Georgia, unless you look up and see the buildings nearby.) If you consider that the population of the United States is 4X greater now than in 1900, you can see that there might be some issues with sustainable management of timber in a post-petroleum future.

In "Systems Theory: A Primer", Meadows notes:
Escalation in environmentally responsible lifestyles can lead to rigid and unnecessary puritanism.
I don't like it when human carbon footprint is uttered with the same tone as "born in sin", and plastic jugs recycled are counted like beads on a rosary. What I like is knowing where all the stuff (oxygen, sea salt caramel cookies, coffee mug, water in my toilet) I like to have sometimes comes from and where all the stuff I don't like to have sometimes (stinky stuff in my toilet, cracked coffee mug, cardboard box cookies came in, carbon dioxide I breath out) goes. I don't like it when I can only go 1 or 2 steps out on my lifestyle systems diagram before I have to draw a big cloud and label it MAGIC!!

ShriekingFeralHatred

Post by ShriekingFeralHatred »

blah
Last edited by ShriekingFeralHatred on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

ShriekingFeralHatred wrote:I like that idea. I always imagine if I get rich I will buy up tons of the cheapest land I can get and let it grow into forest, then just never sell it or build anything on it.
I've been thinking about the same thing, but with the added wrinkle of how to sustainably harvest timber from it. You'll need to know the mineral rights situation too.

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

Kriegsspiel wrote:
ShriekingFeralHatred wrote:I like that idea. I always imagine if I get rich I will buy up tons of the cheapest land I can get and let it grow into forest, then just never sell it or build anything on it.
I've been thinking about the same thing, but with the added wrinkle of how to sustainably harvest timber from it. You'll need to know the mineral rights situation too.
While you are at it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_easement

An easement carries forward to future owners.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

The bigger trees will start killing off the smaller ones (there's even a song about it by Rush, I think). You can make money and improve the stand with active management. 5 acres may not be enough to make money though. Plenty of firewood!

oldbeyond

Post by oldbeyond »

I've been looking for a way to gauge my impact and this seems pretty reasonable. I'm interested both out of a desire to Save the World and from a personal resilience perspective.

1. Only public transportation, so 50x3.8x100x1.6 = 30,400 km. Here I'm fine by quite a margin, but I should include 1-2 flights/year if I'm sincere.
2. We're at 120-140 kWh for two people which includes all cooking heat. So basically a passing grade.
3. Heating is supplied through a municipal district heating system, partially using refuse and renewable biomass as a fuel source. Our building is very energy efficient, totaling 3000-3500 kWh/year in heating for our share of the total. Added to this we use 2 cubic meters of hot water/person/month, also heated centrally. Not sure how to quantify this.
4. "General" trash(that gets incinerated) is probably no more than 0.5 kg/week. Compost is probably around 4-5 kg(used to make biogas by the municipality). Recycled stuff varies quite a bit by weight depending on the amount of glass containers. But probably 2-3 kg/week. So it depends on how you define "trash". Bulk buying would reduce packaging, but it would mean reducing some foodstuffs(dairy, condiments, some meats) that would be hard to consume in bulk. I won't be eating 5kg of sour cream before it spoils, for example. This also ties in with 7.
5. For water we're at roughly 4x the recommended level, half of which is hot water. This seems more like a local issue. Here water is very plentiful, for example. Of course the less usage the better, as there's energy use and emissions resulting from water treatment, but it's a different world from California or the Middle East. Reductions would come from more efficient laundry(fewer colours resulting in being able to fill every machine, taking the time to run the "eco" program instead of opting for the quick one), and not doing dishes under running hot water(yes, I cringe a bit admitting this inefficiency).
6. We're not spending $10000 on stuff! Maybe 2-3k on average. We buy quite a bit second hand, focus on quality and use electronics until they break(typing on an 8 year old computer right now) and don't treat shopping as a hobby. Due to the accumulation of quality items, spending will probably decrease going forward.
7. Here we have a ways to go. We eat less meat and dairy than our peers and cook all our meals, but very little is locally sourced and we buy the standard supermarket sizes for stuff like pasta, rice and couscous. I even buy pre-cooked beans for convenience. Improvements:
a. buying a whole pig/lamb/half a cow from a local farmer for meat(freezing it)
b. buying pasta, rice, couscous, bulgur in bulk wholesale or from ethnic markets and storing it in sealed containers
c. getting a pressure cooker to be able to do b. for beans, peas, chickpeas etc
d. exploring CSA equivalents in the vicinity, buying storable vegetables(cabbage, root vegetables, potatoes etc) in bulk from local farmers, doing some preservation during the summer, avoiding vegetables from Southern Europe(peppers, eggplant, squash)
e. eating less meat/dairy/eggs and more beans/legumes

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

I couldn't believe the electricity consumption per household in the US. Why is it so much more than the UK?

https://www.ukpower.co.uk/home_energy/a ... nergy-bill says for the UK

(1) Small House / Flat - gas usage of 8,000kWh and an electricity usage of 2,000kWh
(2) Medium House - gas usage of 12,500kWh and an electricity usage of 3,100kWh
(3) Large House - gas usage of 18,000kWh and an electricity usage of 4,600kWh

Even those seem high as our consumption for a small flat is about half that quoted here. I can't even see how you can consume 11,000 kWh even if you tried. The only thing I can think of is air conditioning which we don't usually have here, but that surely isn't 6,000 kWh per year?

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

It's probably a combination of relative inefficiency and larger housing, given that the US has a lot more land available for building and a history of cheap energy. Historically there was no incentive to conserve energy or space, unlike in the UK. New builds in the US will likely look a lot more like the UK counterparts, but of course there are other factors like you suggest, climate is a big one.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Many homes in the USA do not have natural gas, so all heating is done with electricity; my current and former homes do not have gas lines available. The standards for home sizes (small, medium, large) are likely different because "homes are bigger" in the USA.

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

George the original one wrote:Many homes in the USA do not have natural gas, so all heating is done with electricity; my current and former homes do not have gas lines available. The standards for home sizes (small, medium, large) are likely different because "homes are bigger" in the USA.
But the average US household consumes 1000 therms a year. That's 29,300 kWh, way more than the gas consumption of a "large" house in the UK.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Much of the difference is due to climate. Winters in the UK are much less severe than the midwest/east in the USA. So you have a combination of really inefficiently sized/built housing in climatic conditions that swing wildly from season to season.

You can apply the 80/20 rule to energy usage pretty accurately. I did a lot of research on my own usage in November/early December and it's only 3 things accounting for almost 100% my usage.

1. Heating
2. Water Heater
3. Stove

For those houses with gas for the above 3, much of their electric usage is probably coming from very old appliances.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Update based on current numbers. Location northern Alaska.

1. Gasoline- 250 gallons/yr. I finally came across a bike trailer and have learned more regarding maintenance/repair. This number should continue to drop.

2. Electricity- 45 kwh per mo

3a. Heating - Wood heat-0. We burn fire killed spruce. A little bit more than 0 though since we use a vehicle to go get it.

3b. Cooking- Propane- About 125 gal per year or ~120 therms.

4. Garbage- Now similar to Jacob. One hefty bag about every 8 days. Almost exclusively food packaging.

5. Water- 1.75 gal/person/day

6. Kind of hard to figure with building a house, if all new materials count to this total then it is quite high for the past ~year. On a regular basis, more like $150 a month? Outside of some housing materials, almost nothing we buy is new. Still working to dwindle this down. My miscellaneous expenses are way too high.

7. Food. Probably about 50% for category 1 (locally produced goods within 100 miles). 5% category 2 (dry bulk goods) . 45% Category 3 (wet goods).
Category 3 will continue to drop as our garden improves and my hunting ability increases.