Frugal Fashion

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
7Wannabe5

Frugal Fashion

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

On the infrequent occasions I find myself wandering around a mall or watching television commercials, I am usually thinking something like "Wow. Look at all that stuff I don't want." However, it seem the niche marketeers have finally found me, because yesterday I saw this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDs5-tqdSc4

There is actually a woman throwing around pallets at :14 !!! Finally, the world of fashion is addressing MY problems. I am seriously tempted to throw my ragamuffin wardrobe I purchased at the Everything is $1 Thrift Store over the last couple years back into the donation bin and tool-up clothes-wise with some of their useful minimalist offerings. How can something be wrong when it feels so right?

Dragline

Re: Frugal Fashion

Post by Dragline »

DT is also my guilty pleasure. Especially the "ball-room" jeans. Because that's the kind of guy I am. :lol:

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

Have you considered these? Great for squatting and workmanlike robust. http://japaneseplastering.com/craftsman ... rk-clothes

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I see now how you guys are a bunch of posers :? :D ... Better get your own drain auger.

At least my excuse for paying $20 for $100 pants on ebay is that American thrift stores don't sell pants to people over 6' that are height/weight proportional with a 22 BMI.

Anyhoo .. 7 ... Paul Wheaton style overalls for extra permaculture cred. It's a required but not a sufficient condition.

Dragline and disco pants ... I don't know ... where to begin :D

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@7W5--Those tanks look great. And I love that those women have hips and arms and all the other parts that usually get airbrushed out!

I'm a fan of their Buck Naked Underwear.

C40

Post by C40 »

I tell you what, if you want comfortable clothes for working, a jumpsuit/coveralls are very hard to beat:

(Posting this link to show what I'm talking about, I don't know whether these Dickies ones are good or worth it)
http://www.dickies.com/coveralls-overal ... DN#start=2

I found a jumpsuit at a thrift store, and have worn it for many hundreds of hours of work. It's not all stained with black asphalt, some paint, and other stuff. It's comfortable as hell, particularly because there's nothing hanging onto your waist.

Oh, and another benefit of these is that people think you are an expert in anything that's not white collar. People thought I worked in the auto parts store when I was there. Women in Home Depot asked me for advice. It was funny that wearing the most blue collar outfit possible seemed to make strangers respect me more than any other type of clothes.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Dragline: Yeah, I know somebody who could use a pair of those too.

@saving-10-years: I have tried pants cut along those lines, but they just don't look or work right on my body type. Too bunchy.

@jacob: For several years, I was frequently seen wearing a pair of Carhartt overalls that my ex who was built along the lines of Paul Wheaton "grew" out of. I had to shop hard to find myself a reasonably inexpensive replacement pair because women's overalls are a unicorn on the thrift store market. They are currently hanging dirty in the tool closet of my garden-camper. My theory was that I could arrive at my garden-camper, and then change into my work overalls, as a regular practice, kind of like Mr. Rogers hanging up his jacket and putting on his cardigan. Some disadvantages of overalls as standard apparel are they are rather heavy in the heat of the climate-changing summer, difficult to hand wash, take forever to air dry, not the best for bicycling, take up a ton of room in a suitcase, and they are not easily adapted to sudden change of activity towards the "fancy." The problem with my overall-in-tool-closet practice is that my lifestyle also includes tying shoes for 5 year olds, bicycling, hauling boxes of books, spending the night in 3 different locations any given week, and scavenging stuff from alleys wherever I might be. I also tend towards wearing the items in my wardrobe which I find most utilitarian almost every day until they fall apart, and then I end up looking like a homeless Canadian, and frugal millionaire septuagenarians feel compelled to buy me socks and pajamas, or a critical button on my blouse will pop off while I am throwing cans into the deposit machine, and I won't notice until I observe some bleary-eyed vagrant oogling. At the moment, I am wearing dollar store reading glasses held together with packing tape.

Anyways, neither time or money seems to be my primary limiting factor in making progress towards achieving my goal set. More like something like mustering enough energy to overcome initial inertia, so I am feeling the need for some motivational streamlining, or something like that.

@jennypenny: Yeah, that's what I liked too. I looked at the label on the one tank (purchased used) I already own that is most utilitarian and turns out it is from Liz Claiborne's maternity collection-lol. So, the extra length was meant to go over the bump rather than the rump.

@C40: Thanks for the suggestion, but coveralls have pretty much the same issues as overalls for SOP.