Random optimizations on minimalism & impending political doom?~

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Random optimizations on minimalism & impending political doom?~

Post by TopHatFox »

Main Optimizations:

Let's see, I recently got a nice 1-3 lb tablet-laptop detachable - a great improvement to my old 10 lb laptop. The tablet can also act as an e-reader and reduce book bulk to 0 when necessary (moving in a few months).

I am still on the market for a light-weight touring bike. In retrospect, I think owning two bikes (one road, one mountain) is unnecessary for commuting only, even in winter. The plan is to reduce to one bike: a light-weight tourer like the Surly Cross-Check -- https://www.google.com/search?q=surly+c ... ter&imgrc=_ , purchase two wheel sets-- a smooth, narrow road set, and a wider, knobby, and likely studded set, keep spare parts that could re-commission the bike (spare skewers or spokes, for instance), and be ready with a commuting plan B in the rare event that, say, the frame cracks. I also might replace my Burly two-wheeled trailer with something lighter. And I might even replace my panniers with a frame bag, small handlebar bag, or one of the large saddle bags I see ultra-light tourers use.

I will likely also replace my current immovable bed table and (literal) box with an adjustable standing desk/bed table/small eating table: https://www.google.com/search?q=standin ... SSFb8WM%3A. Too bad it's so ugly; maybe I can find one made out of wood.

I might consider getting a non-traditional washing machine-- https://www.amazon.com/Laundry-Alternat ... B002C8HR9A -- since I might be able to avoid lugging all of my clothing/linens down the street. The ones I've seen online are sadly for tiny loads, though.

I'd like to find a small & light-weight electric beard trimmer to take around with me in my day-pack.

Finally, I'll be in the market for some light-weight, form-fitting, non-heeled shoes once my current bulky hiking boots and sandals are gone beyond repair. Probably something by Vivobarefoot.

-----------------------------

Other musings:

1. Replace my camping 60 L backpack with a homemade 1 lb Ray Way Pack
2. Replace my sleeping bag with a homemade RW quilt
3. Replace my non-existent tent with a homemade RW tarp + net

-------------------------------

Sadness:

In other news, all this focusing on the personal alternative seems rather pointless when considering evil incarnate has just taken front stage on the political arena.

daylen

Re: Random optimizations on minimalism & impending political doom?~

Post by daylen »

You should really look at this stuff again and ask yourself if you need to "optimize" right now. You are young and in 6 months you will most likely have a completely different set of items that will be better "optimized" than these, and so the cycle continues..

Instead of applying functional optimization, perhaps you should move towards cost efficiency with functional optimization secondary. Also that minimalism thing can be wasteful and counter productive if it involves getting rid of things that are not currently "optimal".

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

@Daylen: Surprisingly, I've kept pretty much all of the optimizations permanently that I've come up with for the past 3 years. In many ways, they are an optimization more in idea rather than in the material object itself. For instance, the new-to-me bed-table is not only an optimization including a new bed-table, but an optimization in the idea that a bed-table can also serve as a standing desk, an eating table, and a lying-down desk. Now I'm more likely than not to always choose the latter idea than the former in my life. Most of the cost of these items is off-weighed by me selling things me or my roommates no longer want. I also usually only execute the changes when the previous items fall apart beyond repair.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Olaz wrote:In other news, all this focusing on the personal alternative seems rather pointless when considering evil incarnate has just taken front stage on the political arena.
millenials gonna millenial.. other guy won, clearly he's literally satan.

sky

Post by sky »

I like the idea of one bike two wheelsets, if I could part with my old bike collection that would be a preferable path. I run out of room to store the old bikes, they are always in the way.

Do you have a source for the RayWay backpack plans?

A much better choice for a minimal laundry washing machine: large pail with an Omega lid, with a hole drilled through the lid to accept a toilet plunger. If you want to pay for something that will make laundry easier, get a spinner (centrifuge) and/or a wringer.

A candidate insulted my people and was chosen to be leader. Does that make me an enemy of the people he is leading? I am trying to decide what the appropriate response is, political activism or active resistance via legal sabotage. Both? I despise both but sometimes you have to defend.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

I can't help but think of the parallel of folks buying guns when Obama was elected because they were convinced he was going to outlaw them. We have a balance of power system with three parts that has served us incredibly well. We'll be just fine this time too.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Olaz wrote:I might consider getting a non-traditional washing machine-- https://www.amazon.com/Laundry-Alternat ... B002C8HR9A -- since I might be able to avoid lugging all of my clothing/linens down the street. The ones I've seen online are sadly for tiny loads, though.
IwantLess was using that device for a time. He seemed pretty happy with it. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4624#p81252

C40

Post by C40 »

BRUTE wrote:
Olaz wrote:In other news, all this focusing on the personal alternative seems rather pointless when considering evil incarnate has just taken front stage on the political arena.
millenials gonna millenial.. other guy won, clearly he's literally satan.
I think they say "literally Hitler"

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

maybe they meant "literary". both are terrible writers.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

OTCW wrote: We have a balance of power system with three parts that has served us incredibly well. We'll be just fine this time too.
While the balance of power is true, the seemingly unique part in this election is that Trump is Trump (misogynist, anti-LGBT, anti-immigrant, white supremist, climate denier, gliterring rich), the Senate is Republican, Congress is Republican, and Trump will get to elect THREE supreme court justices. Good news is he's already under court review for multiple rape allegations and Trump University - impeachment might be imminent.

I wish Bernie would've won the primaries instead of Hillary. People were wanting a hammer to the machine--whether Trump or Bernie--not a technocrat chipping away at changes.

P.S. The stuff I'm buying is completely irrelevant with the election. Even if I know I cannot be 100% separated from larger systematic events--and will indeed be protesting with the best of them--I do try my best to focus on the personal life alternatives.
Last edited by TopHatFox on Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Olaz wrote:
OTCW wrote: We have a balance of power system with three parts that has served us incredibly well. We'll be just fine this time too.
While the balance of power is true, the seemingly unique part in this election is that Trump is Trump (misogynist, anti-LGBT, anti-immigrant, white supremist, gliterring rich), the Senate is Republican, Congress is Republican, and Trump will get to elect THREE supreme court justices. Good news is he's already under court review for multiple rape allegationsand Trump University. Impeachment might be imminent.

I wish Bernie would've ran instead of Hillary. People were wanting a hammer to the machine--whether Trump or Bernie--not a technocrat chipping awaybat changes.
I missed the part where the Republicans in congress are also 'misogynist, anti-LGBT, white supremist, and glittering rich'. Also the part where Trump gets to elect the supreme court.

Also, Bernie did run. Against Hillary in fact.

Sorry to sound like a twit, but the doom and gloom over this is over the top. We have a great system in place. Trust it. Get on with your life. Make it a good one.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Haha, I hear you, this past week has been very depressing in western mass, though I will have to find something to do with all my free time in a few years. Becoming a full time, adventuring climate justice activist is one of those things to do~

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Understood. And, that brings up another point. Above and beyond the Federal balance of power, you have one at the state level too. And the local level. And you get to make your own day to day decisions of your own free will. The president is not the king for good reason.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

sky wrote: Do you have a source for the RayWay backpack plans?
http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Backp ... /index.htm

He also has many other plans. IIRC, ffj has made some of them.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Olaz wrote:I wish Bernie would've won the primaries instead of Hillary.
that didn't "just happen" - Clinton and the corrupt Democrats sabotaged the process to prevent Bernie from happening. he still almost happened. this is like wishing the mafia would finally elect that nice, mellow guy as their leader.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

A House with a very strong Republican majority is not going to impeach Trump.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

"I missed the part where the Republicans in congress are also 'misogynist, anti-LGBT, white supremist, and glittering rich'."

...You missed the last 60 years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

"We have a great system in place. Trust it."

Hahaha... Trust the system! Oh, man, I thought your last joke was funny.

daylen

Post by daylen »

This is turning into a "Politics, and other eternal disagreements" post. :lol: