Best and Worst Habits

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Noedig

Best and Worst Habits

Post by Noedig »

To me, habit and routine are useful ways of getting stuff done without expending willpower.

Also a way of trying to avoid giving energy to harmful behavior patterns. Expressed beautifully here :

"Be careful of your thoughts, for your thoughts become your words. Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions. Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits. Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character. Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny"

My best habits: Maintaining a week planner, gym twice a week, calling my mother, spending time with each child, spending date time with wife (*separately* from "issues" time), allocating time for life maintenance (groceries/DIY) each week, monthly investment / spending review.

My worst habits: picking my nose sometimes (what can I say, it's gross), overeating when abundance presents itself, nagging my kids in the wrong way; long gaming sessions <enjoyable, but lost time>; thoughtless spending <midnight ebay or banggood purchases, I am looking at you>. I suspect my wife would identify an alternate set of these: But I'm not asking!

What are yours, good and/or bad?

slowtraveler

Re: Best and Worst Habits

Post by slowtraveler »

Best:
Weekly review
Sobriety
Weekly habit to build/improve myself
Daily vegetable soup
Daily exercise
Biweekly social hikes
Reaching out when overwhelmed
Weekly group meetings to focus on common goals
Daily meditating
BiDaily brushing and flossing
Declutter/minimize consumption
Focus on 1 change at a time rather than trying to do it all at once

Draining:
Sleep at 2am
Eat too much junk food
Drop out of school, start again, as a cycle
Sometimes isolate at home all day
Obsess with finance instead of doing what I have to and letting it grow
Negative thoughts
Keep seeing my ex once in a while

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

best: skepticism
worst: restlessness

probably traits rather than habits, but habits seem like an implementation detail of those

denise

Post by denise »

Best: Optimism
Worst: Anti-routine (I wish I could get into routines, it would make life easier while in the workforce)