Best way to mop?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Best way to mop?

Post by TopHatFox »

I've simply been using a small bucket with warm water + dr. Bronner's, a large sponge, and a squigee.

I'm considering buying a microfiber mop with a detachable/reusable cloth.

How do you mop your floors? Does it change depending on the type of floor? (For instance, mine are hardwood, so maybe I should do something special to it)

llorona

Re: Best way to mop?

Post by llorona »

Not a mop fan. But if you're going to get one, the detachable cloth ones are good because you can toss them into the washing machine.

In our house, the floors (hardwood) are swept every day, but mopping rarely happens except in the kitchen and bathroom. We don't wear shoes inside which helps keep the floors clean.

My Procedure:
1. Sweep floors
2. Put plain vinegar in a bucket and dilute with water
3. Wet rag (a cut up towel), wring, and wash a section of the floor
4. Use another rag (also a cut up towel) to dry floor section
5. Repeat 3 & 4 until done.

If you're using soap, you should probably rinse the floor between steps 3 and 4.

If your floors are actual hardwood, using diluted vinegar or a few drop of castile soap (like Dr. Bronner's) should be okay. If the floors are laminate or engineered hardwood, you should probably research on proper cleaning products.

SavingWithBabies

Re: Best way to mop?

Post by SavingWithBabies »

Steam mop. The cloth head comes off and goes in the clothes washer. All you need is distilled or low-mineral water and electricity. It really takes off the grime and your floors feel wonderfully smooth and clean. We also don't wear shoes inside and that definitely helps.