Best practices during low points? Share your lowest lows? :(

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
RealPerson

Re: Best practices during low points? Share your lowest lows? :(

Post by RealPerson »

I agree with others that now is not the time to make rash decisions about your college. I had a crisis as a freshman and changed schools. It was definitely the right move for me, but I was a freshman, not a senior.Just hang in there and get the degree. At this stage, whether Amherst was right or not is not all that relevant anymore. Just focus on graduating and moving on with life.

Ego is correct. Things will not suddenly be much better because of the degree. It just opens the door to a new chapter. The learning continues...

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Ego wrote:Spoiler alert. It is all a tutorial of the game of life.
the last guy is really hard.

+1 to just finishing college. it's a stamp that opens a lot of doors. the last few months are pretty easy, anyway.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Oh man Olaz to be young again. You lucky kid.

Ok, finish your degree at Amherst. It is just a blink of an eye. I know at 20 it feels like an eternity but you'll have trouble differentiating 2016 from 2017 by the time your 50. Those are the words of my 75 yo emeritus undergraduate adviser to the twenty year old me. He was so right.

While transferring late in the game can open up some new doors, it may have some unintended consequences. Not so good ones. You'll be constantly explaining it to people. It looks funny. You may run into snags with transferred credits. Just finish the deed. You're right there.

Wrap it up and get ready for your next step. I have a bunch of rambling SClass tragedies about this but I'll just leave it here. Good luck.

Things Change. Great advice. Reminded me of this article I read recently. They change for better and worse but they always change.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/30/healt ... .html?_r=0

frapa

Post by frapa »

Keep going, it's worth the effort!

I am also in the last year of my Master, and I can't wait for it to be over (still 11 months to go). I have to admit I did not like university that much, even tough it opens lots of doors and you learn a lot. I found it outright boring at times. And it leaves you without any sense of accomplishment.

I'm also hoping that afterwards it will be better, and I already heard from many people that it is. It may not change your whole life, but at least it's a new phase...

Ontarian

Post by Ontarian »

Can we get a status update Olaz?

The responses in this thread have been helpful to me in thinking about whether if I'm able to get a job I want should I finish this term's classes but not complete the other half year of a certificate program I'm in. I feel like I'm in this for the short-haul: get piece of paper to get hired into higher paying job and accumulate wealth for a few years with not a lot of focus on climbing corporate ladder. But I'm really trying to consider the advice 7Wannabe5 offered: to continue in rote mode a little while longer (compared to the grand scheme of things) to avoid potential annoyance in the future.

That I'm not living a balanced life outside my studies doesn't help. Having worked for three years after receiving my bachelor's and lived a well-rounded life now makes the focussed nature of university not very fulfilling. I recognize this is all pretty wimpy of me. Plus I've hijacked Olaz's thread for my own blather.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Doing great: re-connected with my primary partner of now 8 months and an affectionate close friend, realized that those old friends weren't a good fit anyway, finalizing US naturalization process, savings increasing steadily, still working on corrective jaw surgery insurance bs, unapolagetically embracing all of my identities, got a few final interviews, spiffed up my room, and only one more semester to go! (I'm visiting the lady at the college I like more every weekend anyway :D!)
Last edited by TopHatFox on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Also tried nude modeling for an art class, which was p cool~