Personal hygiene [example level]

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
sky

Re: Personal hygiene [example level]

Post by sky »

1. Colgate toothpaste on a toothbrush, the size of a grain of rice (in other words, not much). Brush each morning and sometimes after lunch. About a half meter of waxed floss to floss teeth each morning.
2. I use a mild bar soap with minimal fragrance. I do not use a shower gel. Currently Palmolive, but whatever 12 pack is on special once a year or so when I need more soap. I use the same soap to wash my hair and entire body. Sometimes I don't use any soap in the shower, just wash with my hands and water.
3. I do not use deodorant. I don't think that I have an odor problem.
4. F that noise. Warm showers and baths.
5. I have a one year beard and use a hair clipper to trim it. I also use a single blade disposable razor to do mild trimming. When I shaved daily I would use a single blade disposable razor for about two months.
Smelly feet: I do not seem to have this problem.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

In different topic I found true-ERErian doesn't use soap during shaving face...
Explain me that, please :P.

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

Stahlmann wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 4:16 pm
In different topic I found true-ERErian doesn't use soap during shaving face...
Explain me that, please :P.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF3y_ocbXfQ

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

OK, I tried shaving my face hair without water - it is doable!

Next questions:
1. Now I need advice on this device used to clean teeth (I do not mean toothbrush :P). Flossing lines tend to be disposable.
2. How do you wash your (head) hair? I think it is the most water-consuming body part (even if I keep them short).
3. How about effective using soap on hair? They tend not to respond very well to soap bar.

I think that is more paradigm shift, than saving money questions.

Edit:
I am bit overhelmed with my duties... I asked some questions once more. Sorry for that :D

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I steal my SO's girly shampoo once a month. It gets rid of the wax buildup that my regular shampoo leaves behind. Switching up shampoo works wonders for me.

My regular shampoo is Palmolive antibacterial dish detergent bought at the 99 cent store. I use it in my washer. I use it in the toilet bowl. I wash my greasy hands in my garage with it. I do dishes with it. Mount motorcycle tires with it. Love it!

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

@Sclass, switching shampoo works well for me also. Women's magazines have been advocating since I was a teenager, which was about 100 years ago.

However: I would rethink the wholesale use of antibacterial detergent. You can get the non-antibacterial (does that make it bacterial?) stuff at the dollar store too. Maybe save the triclosan for where it's really needed.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... 180948078/

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

yeah I don't like triclosan. The active ingredient is lactic acid.

http://www.palmolive.com/ingredients#antibacterial

I think triclosan is too expensive for the 99 cent store! :lol: :lol: :lol:

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

So, you made me indulge in a frenzy of Googling because I couldn't believe that lactic acid had anything to do with detergent. Believing now, but does this mean that if I'm lactose intolerant, I can't use Palmolive Antibacterial? :lol:

What I really loved learning is that lactic acid is used as a mosquito attractant (WHY would anyone want to attract mosquitoes?) and 'to assist with the erasure of inks from official papers to be modified during forgery.' I visualize someone walking around with pockets full of fake $100 bills, madly swatting mosquitoes.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I can think of uses for mosquito attractants....

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

enigmaT120 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:08 pm
I can think of uses for mosquito attractants....
Okay; you do know that mosquito bites don't generally cause swelling in the affected area, right? :lol:

I resorted to my trusty Google search and found that pretty much everyone on the planet (if the planet = the US) is trying to attract mosquitoes in order to more efficiently kill them with electronic zappers. Makes sense, though we've generally just relied on low-tech bats, swallows and frogs.

Back to the OP: use the shampoo that your hair seems to like best. This is a small expense for something you wear all day every day.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Halfmoon, I was going to put the attractant on somebody else, not myself. They find me too attractive already. At least ticks don't usually like me, I got my first bite Sunday after living in the woods for 26 years.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Any fancy solution for healing Athlete's foot without infecting hands? I know that washing will come first to mind...

I didn't beg enough for prescription drugs during doc visit.

Alsoo foot odor... Any ideas?

conwy

Post by conwy »

Shower in the evening. Longer, nicer, more relaxing, and I can get out the door faster the following morning.
Shower at the gym/pool when I can and use their soap.
Only wash my hair twice a week; all other days I just give it a quick wet comb and maybe add a little wax, and it stays pretty neat.
Use a very nice, high-quality scent balm that cost me about $100, but lasts for a year or more.
Use an electric trimmer to shave beard and neaten up hair, and see a quality barber only once every 2 months.

----------

Just discovered this now – apparently dental powder has certain benefits over toothpaste, and you can even make it yourself!

Ingredients
3 tablespoons of bentonite clay
1 tablespoon of baking soda
2 tablespoons of calcium powder
1 teaspoon of pure sea salt
1 tablespoon of dried ground sage
1 tablespoon of xylitol powder (for sweetness)
1 teaspoon to tablespoon of Cloves or Cinnamon (or both, depending on the flavor you prefer)
Mint, spearmint, or other essential oils for taste

Instructions
1. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl or pint sized mason jar. Mix them together using a non-metal spoon. (Bentonite clay loses some of its beneficial properties when it comes in contact with metal, so it’s best to use plastic, glass or wooden bowls, containers, and spoons when making your dental powder.
2. Add essential oils by dripping them into the mixture. Stir well.
3. Keep the powder in a sealed container. Because it doesn’t have any liquid ingredients, it should last an indefinite amount of time on your counter without any problems.

(From https://www.carefreedental.com/resource ... toothpaste)