What's a good pair of underwear?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

What's a good pair of underwear?

Post by TopHatFox »

https://www.meundies.com/t/gender/men

I like the "trunk" design best, a bit shorter than a boxer-brief but not as little as the brief. These--https://www.meundies.com/products/trunk-- cost $20/pair though, which I'm guessing is mostly brand.

What's your favorite style of underpants and where do you get them? :mrgreen:

BRUTE

Re: What's a good pair of underwear?

Post by BRUTE »

uniqlo

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Olaz = Tim Ferriss?

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Icebreaker wool underwear. If you wash them in the shower, they'll usually be dry overnight. So you can make do with 2 or 3 pairs.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Bogleheads underwear = Hanes underwear from the department store (you're worth it! but wait for a sale)
MMM underwear = fancy BIFL underwear (anyone who doesn't have it needs a facepunch)
ERE underwear = don't wear underwear (or get it from the thrift store)

sky

Post by sky »

WalMart has boxers that are about 50% synthetic, 50% cotton. These dry fast and are comfortable. The fabric is very thin. If you pick the right color patterns they almost look like shorts and if you are brave you could walk around in public with them on. I sewed a stitch in the fly opening to prevent it opening up like stage curtains when one does a squat.

Chris

Post by Chris »

ExOfficio. They're quick-dry, which is nice for travel (bring 2 pairs and you're good). Also, they feel nice.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute doesn't like merino wool underwear. itchy, too hot, uncomfortable.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

In summer and winter: cotton briefs. They take up less space than boxers. You can buy them in 5 packs at JCP, Sears, WMT, etc. for about $12. Ten pairs will require doing machine laundry every 10 days---I could never really get into daily handwashing. They last 100 washes which means my daily consumption of underwear is about $0.024 or $8.76/year. In winter: a pair of long underwear going over the briefs. Wash as frequently as regular pants. Socks are all black tennis from WMT. The cost is similar.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

jacob wrote:I could never really get into daily handwashing.
it's not actually that hard with the right tools. filling a plastic bucket with warm water, a splash of liquid detergent, and then hand-wringing the clothes in there for about 30 seconds does the trick. after, brute rinses in clean water for another 30-60s. whole thing takes maybe 3-5 minutes every day depending on how long brute feels like wringing the clothes, he does not time it.

the thing is, it's not actually a huge saver of time or money. it does get clothes cleaner than most washing machines in brute's experience, and is likely easier on the fabric, but clothes are so cheap that it really doesn't matter.

what it does enable is having only a very minimal set of clothes. brute currently mainly uses 1 shirt, washes and dries it, and wears it again. this is practical for travel. he has another 3 shirts that he uses from time to time, but could do without.

but what this means is that because he's always got at most 1 shirt, 1 pair of underwear and 1 pair of socks to wash, he can't really use machines for laundry, or at least not without feeling stupid. so while it gives a certain freedom (of not owning too many clothes), it also imposes some drastic limits (brute really HAS to hand wash his laundry every day, or he doesn't have clean clothes the next).

it also requires a suitable container (like a bucket), as most sinks suck for doing laundry. it requires (liquid) detergent, and warm/hot water. all of these are hard to bring while traveling, so it's more suited for slow travel than for, say, business style travel. going out and buying detergent every few days and washing in shitty sinks with cold water is a pain.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@brute - Well, that's the thing. A machine takes the same amount of time but with 10 times the volume of clothes, so 5 mins per 1 week+ instead of 5 mins per day. The downside being that one required about 5x the amount of clothes (per person x 2 persons).

Not counting suits, shirts, slacks, and jackets which are on hangers in a closet, all my clothes fit in a 2ft long rubbermaid container. When I've done laundry and line dried it, I just unceremoniously dump it back in the container(*). So it's optimized for time for washing and buying new stuff at the cost of a greater inventory.

My biggest issue with handwashing is that while a pair of jeans might take a few hours to dry in California at almost all weeks of the year, in Illinois, a handwashed and handwringed pair of jeans in 55F indoor temperature in the winter of 77% humidity in the summer takes much much longer to dry. In the winter case, it can take days. My use of HVAC while existing lack the intensity to make much of a difference when it comes to wet clothes.

(*) That also has the advantage of being able to identify rarely used items by which strata they're in. This requires less effort than my previous system if folding clothes and keeping it in a commode.

Conversely, I do the dishes by hand and therefore our inventory of plates and cups is fairly minimal.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute also does dishes by hand. he just likes playing with warm water, it's relaxing :D

jacob is correct that drying is the biggest problem. both heat and low humidity are helpful, and if lacking, it becomes a pain. currently, brute does not have this problem. better than HVAC are heating radiators. forced air heaters are OK too, but brute suspects they're worse for the fabric and take longer.

when he was more localized, brute had ~7 sets of clothes and did laundry once a week. he might go back to that if he settles down again. it's really not that terrible. on the other hand, the manual laundry is fun, and brute has invested a bit of his ego into owning very few clothes.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I vote boxer-briefs if you are stocky-build or regular boxers if you are slender-build. However, if you are one of the rare individuals who would actually look good even in a pair of whitey-tighteys then I vote that you go commando. However, grain of salt, because I am so old anybody who is young enough to have ever worn Star Wars underwear is beyond the pale for me, so I might not be up on the latest trends.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Chris wrote:ExOfficio. They're quick-dry, which is nice for travel (bring 2 pairs and you're good). Also, they feel nice.
Another vote for ExOfficio. In addition to all of the above, they're anti-microbial. They're more expensive than most underwear, but they're good quality, help keep you from stinking, and so light that it feels like you're going without underwear. Bonus: when I hand wash ours and hang these to dry, they're dry again in about 3 hours. If you do a lot of camping or outdoor stuff, these can't be beat.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Makes me 10% faster on the bike. I do honestly own a pair, otherwise I just buy tight fitting boxers, they reasonably cheap and well fitting at H&M.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

BRUTE wrote:brute doesn't like merino wool underwear. itchy, too hot, uncomfortable.
I must have some tough, cool-running junk, because I don't get this at all.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I shop at the Jockey outlet store on ebay for me and my husband. They have thinner cotton ones and microfiber/performance ones. I actually wear them in the shorter boxer style like this and this. (I wear them with these in tall -- I know, soooo feminine. :lol: )

eta: now that I've looked more closely, I think I have this pair. Some of mine don't have a fly.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

For the most part I go with cotton Hanes boxer briefs. The fancier high tech/wicking/quick dry materials I find uncomfortable. I will tolerate them under a few conditions such as a multi-day stint outdoors w/out accommodations.

bryan

Post by bryan »

I only have three undies. These: https://www.jlracing.com/page.jl_trou.html The third one is dedicated for exercising.

They dry pretty quickly so you can wash/rinse/wring in a sink or shower. Or you can alternate them until it's laundry time. If it is in the summer, I might stuff a paper towel down there to serve as a protective layer to prevent the undies from soaking up too much funk, as synthetics seem to do.

I've been doing this for about 9 years; owned 4 through that entire time.

I like the versatility these offer. The most notable being the ability to strip down to something that looks at least somewhat normal as beach/water wear. Saved some face that time some friends and I went to Russian River and it turned out to be an actual river that we were to float down on inner tubes instead of the brewery! Never miss a swimming/submersion opportunity again!

Warning: the last one I bought from JL (wanted the third dedicated to more sweaty endeavours) has been far more constricting than the other two and I probably wouldn't want something so tight to wear all the time (it would cause the crotch to sweat too much). This is the pair I keep for exercising now. Seems JL has gone through at least 3 versions in the last 9 years. The version (which I threw out last year due to the ass/saddle part being too worn down) I owned in 2007 was the best for undies.

I'm not convinced absolutely that these are the best (especially given the last one I bought).. but I have been quite happy. Much happier than cotton briefs/boxers/boxer briefs or thinner spandex. Will probably try something else in 3 or 4 years when two of these could show signs of needing replacement.

Didn't @jacob have a blog post on this? Basically he broke it down to 3 categories of underwear (or maybe it was generally clothing) being like 1) wool 2) cotton and 3) synthetics. I think the thing I brought away was that synthetics were pretty great excepting their trapping odor feature.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

bryan wrote:Seems JL has gone through at least 3 versions in the last 9 years.
Stunts like that irritate me to no end. It would be so nice to buy clothes as commodities, e.g. I need a model 973 sized 97/3 or something like that. But it's like companies deliberately changes things up just so one can waste a bunch of money going into hunt and seek mode again. I've tried to avoid getting rail-roaded into buying something that is probably getting changed up within a few years without me knowing about it by buying spares when I find perfect fits. Of course that just kicks the can down the road insofar I don't buy a lifetime supply.
bryan wrote:Didn't @jacob have a blog post on this? Basically he broke it down to 3 categories of underwear (or maybe it was generally clothing) being like 1) wool 2) cotton and 3) synthetics. I think the thing I brought away was that synthetics were pretty great excepting their trapping odor feature.
Maybe. I don't remember whether I had a general one. Pretty sure I never covered underwear!?