What's a good pair of underwear?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
BeyondtheWrap

Re: What's a good pair of underwear?

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

I wear boxers and stick to mainstream brands. Brands I have worn over the years include Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, and Joe Boxer.

The main problem that significantly decreases their usefulness over time is that the elastic eventually becomes stretched out. In my admittedly anecdotal experience, I found that, of the brands I've tried, Fruit of the Loom least suffers from this problem.

Solvent

Post by Solvent »

Kriegsspiel wrote:Yup, 3 pairs seems just right.
This number keeps coming up.

Anecdotal only. I was recently in a tropical climate for a week. I decided to work on packing a little lighter.* I had a pair of underwear, socks, and a light cotton shirt I handwashed on Sunday. The only reason they were dry by Friday is because I ironed the remaining moisture out of them on Thursday evening.

The humidity shouldn't have even mattered that much because the clothes were hung in a hotel room climate controlled to 24.5 degrees and thus fairly dry, although yes it was fairly still and not terribly light, although they were hung by a large window.

*I'd say I already pack light compared to the average person, but probably not as light as the average person on these forums...

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

The rule of three: one to wash, one to wear, and one spare.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Solvent wrote:I was recently in a tropical climate for a week. I decided to work on packing a little lighter.* I had a pair of underwear, socks, and a light cotton shirt I handwashed on Sunday. The only reason they were dry by Friday is because I ironed the remaining moisture out of them on Thursday evening.

The humidity shouldn't have even mattered that much because the clothes were hung in a hotel room climate controlled to 24.5 degrees and thus fairly dry, although yes it was fairly still and not terribly light, although they were hung by a large window.
24.5 degrees will likely dry far slower than true tropical climate, even with humidity. brute's clothes usually dried within a few hours in tropical climates, if it was cold, it might've taken a day. 5 days definitely seems way too long. even for 24.5 degrees.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

The time for new underwear has arrived.

I like the idea of having say, 11 briefs or trunks at 50/50 (cotton/synthetic), and 3 briefs or trunks at 100 (light wool or synthetic).

You'd have 14 days of underwear, and when you're backpacking, just the 3.

---------------------------

I think this is similar with the rest of the wardrobe. Own 3 synthetic shirts, 2 synthetic shorts, and super-light breathable shoes. Reserved for extensive exercise or travel.

And then say, 10 shirts at 50/50, with 2 casual pants and 2 casual shorts . Nice fitted clothing in pastel/neutral colors are best, since they go with everything.

Work clothes add significant volume to this system, so get to work on not needing the fancy clothes anymore. :P

-----------------------------

To dry clothes faster no matter the season, simply purchase a box fan and a clothing rack or line. Point the box fan to the clothes on the rack. Bonus points if you place the rack by the radiator/heat source. I consider the box fan my "dryer."

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Have you considered decluttering underwear?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Underwear that declutters? How exciting!