Deleted Facebook: The Effects

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
fiby41

Re: Deleted Facebook: The Effects

Post by fiby41 »

jacob wrote: However, I have also used it to establish a deeper contact with some people than I've been able to IRL.
!
Somehow I've noticed that deeper connections on facebook don't necessarily translate offline later even when there is scope again but it could be just me.

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Olaz wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:01 am
I permanently deleted facebook about a week ago
So what are the effects after 3 months?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

In short, it's great. F#ck Facebook.

MZMpac

Post by MZMpac »

Ive had zero social media for a couple of years now. No FB, no Twitter, no Snapchat, nothing. Havent missed it for a second. For me I just found that there was no opportunity for people's inane yammerings to bother me anymore. Out of sight , out of mind.

I find forums like this one to be a bit more intellectually fruitful, but you can also get sucked into pointless debates and spend hours upon hours composing posts that have no real bearing on you or anyone else's life (speaking from experience).

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Update: A year later after deleting Facebook, my social life has never been more intimate and deep, and the books and other media I take in have never been more deliberate and detailed. I am also less exposed to rumors or other yammering unless somebody has the courage to tell it to my face. ^^

That said, I have found OKCupid to be useful, but only to find a partner or two, after that it too can be put on the back burner. Ditto with linkedIn and jobs. I think the difference with these and Facebook is that Facebook's goal is a time-consuming and vague "to keep in touch with friends", rather than a one-off goal to find a partner(s) or a job(s), for example.

/deleteFB

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Interesting idea. I need to give it a try. I am now ,,analyzing" data from 4 year usage of some app to track productivity. Social media are quite high on hours, but I wouldn't consider myself as social person :D. I have met personally 2 people IRL who doesn't use it.