List your top three to fiveish typical dinner menus

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Ego

Re: List your top three to fiveish typical dinner menus

Post by Ego »

A little olive oil, garlic salt, chili flakes, pepper (lots!) and a little turmeric.

Yeah, a lot of the fake meats use gluten as the base.

Beyond Meat has some
http://beyondmeat.com/recipes/view/glut ... E7m3PnF-3I

Actually here are a bunch of options....
http://www.peta.org/living/food/guide-s ... less-meat/

Ego

Post by Ego »

Twelve bean whole wheat penne salad or Teamwork Salad

Mrs. Ego soaked the 12 bean mix last night and boiled them this morning then put them in the fridge. I cooked the penne this afternoon then rinsed it under cold water. I chopped a Tortarello Abruzzo, some purple cabbage, a tomato (all leftovers from her health-eating class) and seasoned. Topped with yeast flakes.

Ego

Post by Ego »

jennypenny wrote:I can't find any meat substitute products that are gluten free. :(
Beyond Meat started selling Beyond Burgers over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWfEFfwzRmo

http://beyondmeat.com/whats-new/view/th ... -of-burger

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Tarka dal
Falafel
Vegetable sauce and pasta
Hot dogs
Carbonara with leftovers from hot dogs :lol:

Ego

Post by Ego »

Baked tofu with snap peas, galanga, button mushrooms, purple cabbage, garlic, green onions and kale on a bed of brown rice cellophane noodles.

This is the first time I tried galanga.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galangal

It has a strong flavor like ginger but with a strange fragrant taste that reminds me of Vicks vapor rub. Fortunately I only put in a few slivers.

The brown rice noodles are one of those things that are in stock for a few weeks at our Asian grocery then disappear for six months, so whenever I see them I buy a bunch.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I should have been taking pictures this week. We harvested all of the peas (snow and snap) and I've been cooking with them every night.

For the snow peas, I cooked them in the rice cooker with the rice. It makes them soggy but my kids like them better that way. When the rice was almost done, I cooked sesame seeds and mushrooms in a little oil for about 5 minutes. While that was cooking, I mixed tamari, sherry, ginger, garlic, and a touch of turmeric. I tossed the sauce and snow peas into the pan with the mushrooms and cooked until hot, then served over rice.

For the snap peas, I tossed them with a little oil, sea salt, thyme and garlic, and cooked them in a shallow pan (single layer) in the oven for 15 minutes @325 degrees.

Some of the snap peas opened when I removed the strings, so I used the loose peas for a shepherd's pie with beef, lentils, peas, thyme, salt, pepper, and a leftover brown gravy, with leftover potatoes mashed up and spread on top.

sky

Post by sky »

Chick Pea Stew (pressure cooker)
soak a quarter to half cup of dried chick peas overnight...
Simmer chopped onion in olive oil.
Add crushed garlic.
Chop and add:
piece of ginger
carrot
celery
sweet potato
Add spices:
curry powder
black pepper
bullion cube
coriander
cumin
turmeric
other hot stuff if you like it, cayenne, jalopeno ...
Add hydrated chick peas
add a couple tablespoons of split peas to thicken the broth
Cover with water
Cook under pressure 8 minutes
Salt to taste
Serve with rice
This makes many meals, about 5 or more, so refrigerate or freeze portions.

Most of my cooking is variations on this recipe. Sometimes I will add chopped greens from the garden, tomato or any vegetable that happens to be ripe. It works with other legumes as well. With split peas, I use less hot spices, just black pepper, rosemary and salt.

For breakfast I like greek yogurt and muesli, with raisins, craisins or dried blueberries.

Lunch is either stew or a hard boiled egg with fruit, banana or raisins.

Ego

Post by Ego »

No One Cooks Anymore
http://qz.com/706550/no-one-cooks-anymore/

Last year was the first year restaurant spending surpassed grocery store spending.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Ego - Introducing the Solactive Obesity Index (yes, this is now tradeable). Call me cynic but ...

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

Speaking on behalf of many of the young professionals in the Greater Boston area, we want the convenience of quick prepared foods but we're also health-conscious. I'm optimistic that obesity rates won't be as high in the coming generations, but my view could be skewed by being surrounded by so many smart and healthy young people.

We have a vegetarian fast food chain called Clover that's been pretty successful thus far (6 locations now), though the healthiness of a falafel sandwich with french fries is debatable.
https://www.cloverfoodlab.com/food/

Now some MIT engineering students are looking to tackle automated fast food while also keeping it seemingly healthy:
http://www.techinsider.io/mit-students- ... hen-2016-4

And in towns outside the city, "roast beef & seafood" restaurants (often with both of those unrelated items listed on the sign) seem to be on the decline, with fast-casual on the rise. Some of these changes are potentially healthier (e.g. certain items from Chipotle) and some not so much (e.g. Five Guys burgers and fries).

===

As for my typical dinners:
3-4 eggs with a microwaved potato or sweet potato; butter, salt, pepper, some other spice/herb
Chicken thighs (with bone and skin) and some assortment of veggies; salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, cayenne
Rice and beans in its various forms, e.g. arroz con gandules: sofrito, olive oil, Sazon packet, pigeon peas

Ego

Post by Ego »

Lucky C wrote:Speaking on behalf of many of the young professionals in the Greater Boston area, we want the convenience of quick prepared foods but we're also health-conscious. I'm optimistic that obesity rates won't be as high in the coming generations, but my view could be skewed by being surrounded by so many smart and healthy young people.
I hope you're right about the restaurants. My concern is that we are seeing an influx of new places that are selling an ambience of healthfulness with bright photos of vegetables but under the hood aren't all that different from the roast beast and seafood places you mentioned. I am not quite as optimistic about future obesity rates because the epigenetic changes caused by obese parents makes it an uphill battle for their children.

As you alluded, we are rapidly morphing into segmented societies where the interaction of obese and healthy people is limited. I sometimes wonder if we are witnessing a socially induced sympatric speciation where diet and exercise habits act as the songs of Darwin's finches. While it is still possible for Darwin's finches to interbreed when a strong wind blows them toward another island, they use their songs to signal their differences and continue to breed with only their type. The barrier to interbreeding is purely behavioral. You are living on an island.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute is somewhat optimistic about obesity in the future. the reason is that brute believes the current obesity levels have been caused by deliberate government/bad science/lobby propaganda starting in the 60s (fat scare). the internet now rivals official propaganda as a source of nutrition information, and there are more and bigger movements out there that humans can easily access and try out for themselves. atkins, 4 hour body diet, ketogenic diet, low-carb, paleo.. all these movements are picking up steam, and on a grass-roots level, will help reduce the obesity epidemic. note that "official science" (!= real science) and government/medical professionals are still decades behind the curve, and might never catch up - they might just become completely irrelevant if they don't adapt.

Ego

Post by Ego »

BRUTE wrote: and there are more and bigger movements out there that humans can easily access and try out for themselves. atkins, 4 hour body diet, ketogenic diet, low-carb, paleo.. all these movements are picking up steam,

Atkins was published in 1972
Four-Hour Body (2010)
Ketogenic Diet (1921)
Low-Carb Diet (Taubes 2007, Mackarness 1958)
The Paleo Diet (Cordain 2002)

Something is picking up steam, that's for sure.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I see what you did there ;-)

Interestingly the majority happened right at/right after the peak of bull markets.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Yeah, obesity charts mirror financial charts that show the demise of the middle class. The healthy are becoming the other One Percenters.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@jp - The Solactive index is ~ the spread of Ego's plots. I was surprised how solid the connection was. Now I'm even more confident in my specific long term sickness/food sector investments.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Ego wrote:
BRUTE wrote: and there are more and bigger movements out there that humans can easily access and try out for themselves. atkins, 4 hour body diet, ketogenic diet, low-carb, paleo.. all these movements are picking up steam,

Atkins was published in 1972
Four-Hour Body (2010)
Ketogenic Diet (1921)
Low-Carb Diet (Taubes 2007, Mackarness 1958)
The Paleo Diet (Cordain 2002)

Something is picking up steam, that's for sure.
irrelevant since mainstream internet use started when, 2000? 2005? brute's claim was that the official propaganda was at fault..
Ego can show brute a diagram in 2030 and compare.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I hope Brute is right. Though I would bet that a crispr-like solution to obesity would occur long before a dietary solution. I'd also bet that Jacob's Solactive index will continue post-crispr profitability thanks to the unintended consequences.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

uh, what does Ego mean by a crispr-like solution? brute has searched for the term, and it seems to be something involving DNA.. but brute has no idea how it would apply to obesity.

Ego

Post by Ego »

In the not too distant future we will be able to snip out or shut off all obesity-related genes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... esity.html

Technological adolescence.