Procrastination/internet addiction - any solutions?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
daylen

Re: Procrastination/internet addiction - any solutions?

Post by daylen »

5-15 minutes of meditation a day helps me to make better decisions. Basically trains the brain not to give into impulses.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Well.

Has anyone started from ground zero if we talk about concentration span?

Jean

Post by Jean »

I tought about it for a while.
I'de say that procastination is a lack of urgency. If nothing feels urgent, why bother working on something.
It's probably a very usefull trait in survival situations, but when ones survival is not endangered, it leads to unactivity.
Last time I was focused on something was 7 years ago while studying for my degree, I was convinced that getting this degree as soon as possible was going to be a difference between a comfortable life and an horrible life. I was doing everything as late as possible (in regards to the fastest possible deadlines), and I was really enjoying the time not working about it.
I even came to think that being industrious used to be a detrimental trait before civilization. Spending energy at working toward something not important was going to be completly lost. Or maybe being industrious is a lack of ability to discern between what's important and what isn't.
But when there is nothing around to threat ones life, it might get boring.
If this boredom is annoying to you, I suggest to convince yourself that something over which you have some power (so saving a specie from extinction wouldn't work) is very important.
This is difficult, because obviously, nothing really matters, and it requires lying to oneself.
I started writing this because I thought it was important, and now, I realised again it isn't, but at least it is written.

So to conclude, one way to fight procastination is to fool yourself long enough in thinking that a task is important, in order to finish it. You could also have someone else fool you. Or having someone else being fooled for you, if you are already fooled that not disapointing him is important. But at least most of us are fooled by our instinct into thinking that our survival is important.

It was fun to write, sorry for this journal level post.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Sam Harris and Dan Harris were on Joe Rogan's podcast today and touched on the dopamine issue (in the first hour) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4utkb6vSyQ

Jean

Post by Jean »

And I would like to add that FBeyer's point about expectations for goals is in my opinion very true.
When I see people do thing, I often feel that they shouldn't be doing it, because it doesn't lead anywhere, they don't revolution their fields, but people enjoy their production, and they enjoy producing it, that should be enough.
But I stop all my initiatives because I try to look for some long term goal.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

I must admit. I need help.

Any thoughts for good counselling or therapy?

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Well, after years of spending time with computer, so small steps are riddiculuos (don't take it personally).

I went cold turkey (*). But there is this danger, like at the moment, when I have access to the internet. I feel this rush, I am checking zillion pages at one time.

(*) Saved everything needed to my work on PC. Then I put the cable to my internet (I don't have WiFi) in my basement uder heavy bed. If I need, I will take it. Most of the time it takes to much time.

rref

Post by rref »

Last edited by rref on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

rref wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 11:56 am
2) Block the top 3 time drains fully on weekdays using a program like getcoldturkey.com
Good advice.

I used to think I was addicted to video games, when in fact I was addicted to one game in particular. After much denial I got rid of that game, and suddenly the other options were all uninteresting. That realization helped isolate the problem and eventually encourage me to explore new hobbies.

It's likely you're not addicted to the internet as a whole but to certain repetitive activities located on the internet. Identify and isolate.

sky

Post by sky »

Also identify the positive things you get from the net and how you get them. I find that if I type a search word that I want to learn about, I can get high quality results, where if I just run through my bookmarks it's often a waste of time.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Tyler9000 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 3:03 pm
rref wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 11:56 am
2) Block the top 3 time drains fully on weekdays using a program like getcoldturkey.com
Good advice.

I used to think I was addicted to video games, when in fact I was addicted to one game in particular. After much denial I got rid of that game, and suddenly the other options were all uninteresting. That realization helped isolate the problem and eventually encourage me to explore new hobbies.

It's likely you're not addicted to the internet as a whole but to certain repetitive activities located on the internet. Identify and isolate.

Well, I see that in longterm I substituted X site, then Y site, and next Z site and so on.
The problem is deeper.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

sounds like the problem is that Stahlmann doesn't have any actual things to be excited about. maybe he should keep looking.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

BRUTE wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 10:22 pm
sounds like the problem is that Stahlmann doesn't have any actual things to be excited about. maybe he should keep looking.
What do you mean? Your advice seems to be pretty generic.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

Find something better than the internet.
It's generic because that could be anything. I do outdoorsy stuff. (There will be a time I can't so I'm doing it now.)

Asatheonli

Post by Asatheonli »

I'd like to think self discipline is a talent. I read somewhere that it takes at least 90 something days of doing something consistently to make it into a lifestyle. Whatever you decide if you tell yourself I'm going to do it for 3 months straight no matter what, I'm sure you'll change your lifestyle then.

bubbleclips naked girls
Last edited by Asatheonli on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

out of personal experience, brute can attest that the 90 days habit thing is BS. some things brute has done straight up every day for years, and completely changed overnight. others he could never stick with, until something happened, and from then on it was an afterthought.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Stahlmann wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 7:43 am
BRUTE wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 10:22 pm
What do you mean? Your advice seems to be pretty generic.
Unfortunately, so does your description of your troubles.
Unspecific problem formulations attract unspecific solutions.

Crete

Post by Crete »

Stahlmann, I have problems with internet browsing as well. It is my default activity, taking up the majority of my idle time.

I believe Brute was on to something when he said that the activity of internet procrastination is valued higher than some other activity that is to be preferred for some reason. The general options in your case here appear to be:

1. Decreasing the relative value of internet procrastination (measures to prevent enjoyment of the internet, such as limiting favorite web pages, placing internet cable in the basement, etc.) - it appears that you have already tried solutions like this. Rref listed the best and most practical of these options. You could also try making your internet slower, or something.

2. Increasing the relative value of some alternative (getting in to a habit that makes an alternate activity generate an equal or greater amount of pleasure, such as walking/exploring immediate location, in-person social interaction, some hobby, etc) - You may or may not have tried this yet. Toska2 does outdoorsy stuff. Try thinking back to your childhood of the things you enjoyed doing or the kind of things you dreamed of being able to do. This may be somewhat naive, but you could try building a relationship with some person to the extent that you enjoy hanging out with them more than you enjoy internet browsing.

3. Change the underlying valuation system. This is the only solution in the long run, given your apparently deep-seated desire to spend time on the internet. Thankfully, this could probably come by an implementation over time of the previous 2 options, by counseling by a psychologist or religious minister, or by some general change in who you are that seems to happen over time without prompting.

Hope you find one of these useful. Best of luck.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I waste a ton of time randomly browsing the internet. Usually it starts with a specific purpose, then I go here.. then there.... pretty soon I've wasted 2 hours.

I've started setting a 15 minute timer on my Echo for home, and on my phone, I've locked out all my "problem" websites. It's helped. Yeah, sometimes I ignore the timer, or reset it for another 15 minutes... then another 15 minutes.... but most of the time I abide by it, telling myself I can come back later.