What does ERE (the book) mean to you...

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
jeremymday

Post by jeremymday »

In a few words or a short sentence, can you say what Early Retirement Extreme means to you? In other words, is this about never working again, doing something more meaningful then work, or something else?
As someone who is born frugal and who is already a pretty efficient guy I knew and innately understood what Jacob was talking about.
For me, I can say that ERE means.... "Waste not, want not"
The longer answer is that if we use our resources wisely we can become financially independent, stop working at a job that supports our livelihood, and start working on things that really matter to us. It all boils down to waste not, want not...
What does all this mean to you? In as few words as possible?

Cashflow

Post by Cashflow »

I've only made it through the first chapter of the book so far, but I believe I get the gist of ERE (I'll know for sure as I continue reading).
Because my parents grew up during The Great Depression and World War II, I was indoctrinated with a "be frugal because money doesn't grow on trees" mindset (which is another way of saying "no, we can't afford it"). That is the living expenses side of the equation.
I've also had my own life experiences learning how to live with a lumpy income stream (which happens sometimes when independent thinking and Corporate America collide with each other). That is the investment incomes side of the equation.
My summary: Live well below your means and intelligently invest the rest because financial freedom buys lifestyle freedom.

jasoninmississippi

Post by jasoninmississippi »

ERE = FREEDOM OF CHOICE !!! For example: I only know if I am work on Friday on Thursday, Saturday on Friday. I am crazy, but I like working, but I like to have choice's. Jason