Defining Retirement

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
george

Post by george »

What is retirement?
I used to view it as not receiving a wage/salary, and not needing one to meet expenses. I also thought it meant not working
For me I had a real sense of retirement when I walked out on a job I was passionate about, but realised it wasn't meeting my needs.
I think I'll always be contributing to something I believe in - either with time or money.
It might also mean reeiving income or profit.
However I will not choose to do something just for money, or because I believe in it, It has to meet my personal needs.
Eg time with family, proper meals, time to go for a walk, a clear mind and sufficient rest.
The most content people I meet who receive a pension, are continuing to add to their community. Eg a horticultural business with their son, bus drivers who save for holidays and brighten your day because they have a choice, caregivers and volunteers.
I see Jacob is passionate about bikes, he's contributing to protecting the environment.
If I was contributing, led a balanced life and didn't feel shackled, I would in my eyes be retired. Doesn't matter if I'm 25 or 85, doesn't matter if I recieve an income or not.
So I wonder if we need to change the way we define retirement or come up with a new word. The definition could words such as freedom and choice.
Perhaps there is such a word but I've missed it - do you know the word?....And when will you have a sense of retirement?

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

@George-

There was a lively debate on the meaning of the word "retirement" in this thread viewtopic.php?t=769#post-9581.

Jacob in particular noted the gap between language and practice. I think that @Maus somewhere suggested the term "rentier".

For myself, I wouldn't get hung up on the definitions though.

george

Post by george »

@hoplite

Thanks for this, I never thought of it as withdrawal into privacy or seclusion, solitude, but being retired does give you time to be alone.